rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
I’m on the scrounge for knowledge again :think:
I have a fitted the Zimo MX 697 plug & play large scale US loco decoder but the cab, marker lights and smoke box function doesn’t work. The front and rear lights work properly on F0 and all lights work on analog DC.
I really am a novice when it comes to mapping and the on line instructions don’t help me at all.
I have a vague instruction sheet sent with the decoder saying to ‘program desired key number as your value in the CV 400+Fu number’
So let’s say I want ‘marker lights on F22 FA3, so would This be 4223?
Also the shovelling coal is on F10 and the firebox should flicker at the same time on FA 8.
If someone could explain in VERY basic terms, I would really appreciate your help!!
Thanks again, Richard

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am not familiar with the Zimo, but I would read that as:

For your example, I would say to use key '22' for function output '3':
Set CV 403 to value '22'.

But I would read CV 403 and note the value before starting..

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am not familiar with the Zimo, but I would read that as:

For your example, I would say to use key '22' for function output '3':
Set CV 403 to value '22'.

But I would read CV 403 and note the value before starting..
Sound advice, always keep a list of Cv’s updated on each loco with a starting value and what you have changed them to. This pays dividends in the long run.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip,
Thanks, seems simple now....:)
The cab and marker lights operate now.
However, I wished to check that the firebox flicker FA8 was mapped to F10, but in so doing, when the loco is turned on there is no sound. Operate whistle, bell etc, coal shovelling will begin to constantly loop, there is now no Steam 'chuff' when the loco is moving, or ambient sounds. However, the sounds will work when their relevant F button is pressed, the coal shovelling will continue to play alongside them. The instruction sheet states the random coal shovelling is allocated to Z3 FA8 flickering. Just to stick the boot in, the firebox flicker refuses to work!
I wonder if the best solution is to return the decoder to be 'wiped' and the file re-loaded as I really don't have a clue what I may have inadvertently pressed.....:worried:

Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
There are several things to be understood here.
How a project maps a loaded file is dependent on how the author sets CV60. Standard mapping is ZERO.
CV 310-313 are sound register controls and control how sounds play when engin e is placed on the track.
CV 8 is used for sound activiation in most projects. When you moved CV 8 to CV 10 you changed this.
CV 400 range is for remapping sounds in one manner.
CV300 is another way sounds are mapped and one I use most of the time.
To help you more I do need know the contents of CV 60, 310, 311, 312, 313. And the sound project in the decoder.

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For F22 to be F3 you need to set CV 422 to a 3. Now F22 is F3. Be careful here to make sure the 400 CV series have not been remapped by the loaded project.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For F22 to be F3 you need to set CV 422 to a 3. Now F22 is F3. Be careful here to make sure the 400 CV series have not been remapped by the loaded project.

If you want the sound F8 to turn on the firebox F10 then you need to set F8 (CV42) to 8 + 32 which is 40. F10 will still set the fire box on when souind is off unless you make F10 a zero CV44).
This assumes standard mappping, CV 60 =0.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dan,
Thank you for spending your time writing your very detailed response. As you may gather, decoder programming isn’t my thing!!
In reply to your question, here are the CV settings you requested:
CV 60. 104
CV310. 8
CV311. 0
CV312. 7
CV313 116
Thanks again,
Richard

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
A quick update....
I heard back from the company who loaded the files on to my decoders.
He suggested carrying out a re-set (CV8 to 8)
This has put everything back to before I messed it up, but without the fire box flicker when ‘shovelling coal’ is randomly played or F10 pressed. I’m beginning to think I can live without it:)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
As long as you have the hardware programmer too... software is pretty much always free...

Here's what programmer hardware works (and a little more on ZSP) from the Zimo site

ZSP - ZIMO Sound Programmer

This Windows tool is used to create, preview, modify sound projects, load sound projects into ZIMO decoders and load new software versions into the decoders (software update); see also page 44 ff.

ZSP was created parallel to the ZIMO entry into the sound decoder market, i.e. in 2004, coinciding with the introduction of update-capable decoders.
ZSP has been continuously developed since then.

ZSP needs suitable hardware (“charger”) to transfer software and sound projects into the decoders (”update”, ”sound load”); Due to the history without breaking points, ZSP works with ZIMO "decoder update and sound loading devices" of all generations, ie:

* MXDECUP - the "veteran" of the ZIMO sound era, still with the old RS232 interface, but still popular,

* MX31ZL - the "central control console" (with integrated small control center) from the "MX1 system generation", with USB interface, update + sound loading optionally "offline" from the USB stick.

* MXULF - the current (from 2012) mostly used ZIMO "decoder update and sound loading device", with the alternative (10 x faster) "SUSI" sound loading, optional USB stick or computer , Driving operation for testing, among others

* MX10 - the control center of the new ZIMO digital system, "incidentally" can also be used for decoder updates and sound loading (commissioning with ZSP planned for December 2019).

Matthias

Registered
13 Apr 2019
Switzerland
www.beathis.ch
Best answers
Country flag
As long as you have the hardware programmer too... software is pretty much always free...

You can use ZCS (not the same as ZSP) offline too. The software helps to configure the CVs and you can programm the CVs manually. ZCS can open sound-files (ZPR, ZPP standard and crypted) directly to see the CV values of such a sound-file.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
All makes sense to me :fearscream:
homer.jpg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for spending your time writing your very detailed response. As you may gather, decoder programming isn’t my thing!!
In reply to your question, here are the CV settings you requested:

CV 60. 104 this means that function voltages are now at 255/104, slightly less than half of track voltage. 0 or 255 is full V+ (track voltage) to lights.
CV310. 8 this sets Function 8 to activate sound
CV311. 0 This tells us not to activate functions, 0 means all are active. I set mine to 8 to disable standing sounds (engine is parked and idle)
CV312. 7 Activates blow-off key
CV313 116 mute key. you must know how to make bits in hex represent 116. that is 64+32+16+4 64=7, 32=6, 16=5, 4=3. these are the function key numbers muted.

So you see here if you want the firebox and sound on F10, CV 310 must be set to 10.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dan, thanks again for a detailed description. I’m feeling a little more confident to make some changes, as I have been told CV8 =8 will reset to how the decoder was delivered following the file download. So, I’m hoping I won’t destroy the decoder with a little experimentation!!
Richard