your tenmille track its what im using
mixing styles is so confusing

Tony

Steveford666

Women, engineering, photography, guitar plaoing, s
13 Jan 2010
Billericay, Essex
Best answers
If at first you don't succeed. To hell with it, start again. I have found a shop nearby ( about fifteen miles) with Peco track. What they haven't got, they will order! :clap:

The little blow lamp will have to go,
as now I use only Peco,
The track I know I can rate,
be it curve or be it straight,
I know I won't have the worry of joints,
especially when it comes to points,
Thanks for all your help once again,
even though I am a pain,
I am determined to run my train.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting discusion this. may i add my two pennyworth? Well i will anyway.
A good friend of mine in Swindon is into the RHB and swiss metre gauge lines in general. he was not happy with the look of any of the ACCEPTED NG Track systems as these lines are very main line looking./ So he went down the 10mm Standard Gauge 45mm track route. i was sceptical but think the it looks very good.

I use Peco to replicate my harz metre gauge track and am happy with that, one I had sorted out the skate shorting issue by converting all the points to Live Frog. I do use LGB R2 in the garden too, joined with Hillman Clamps. once the rail has weathered a bit I find that the difference does not grate so much.

I have had problems in the past with joining different kinds of rail How i coped with it was to Silver Solder short 3-4 inch lengths to make joining sections. Ok you may need to do some packing to make the sleepers fit, but this is a better solution. Lead Soldering will not pass the test of time.

Finally, if you are making track DO NOT USE BRASS PINS with wood sleepers in the garden, I speak from bitter experiends of my 150ft garden railway that all had home built track. Those Pins needed to be knocked back in before evry runnin session. Use steel that will rust in place, then preserve with engine oil.
Hope this all helps.
JonD

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
In my day, as a metallurgist, it was extremely difficult to solder to stainless steel, and we had to braze it( of course at a much higher temp)...if other people have found how to do it(in the last 25 yrs) I would be happy to hear how they do it!? Spot welding a link is a possibility if you have the right equipment!

Steveford666

Women, engineering, photography, guitar plaoing, s
13 Jan 2010
Billericay, Essex
Best answers
Tony, you can have it. It's sitting round doing nothing except get in the way. Please p.m your address and I will post it. Steve.