Lubrication Oil

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
Like most I use "Steam Oil" for the lubricator, but what oil does every one use for the wheels, rods and generally where all the movements are on the chassis?

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Like most I use "Steam Oil" for the lubricator, but what oil does every one use for the wheels, rods and generally where all the movements are on the chassis?

I use gun oil.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Blue can 3-in-1 is good. Red can 3-in-21 is also good. Car lube oil is good. Any medium-weight lube oil is good. So long as it is metal on metal. The old Singer Sewing machine oil worked for me when I got starting into big scale railways, back in the seventies, but without a Singer store to buy it from................

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Would you believe chainsaw oil ? My rational - hot environment, loads of friction, fast moving reciprocating and rotating masses. Remind you of something ? (No ! Not that ! Wash your mind out now !) ? It's low cost and generally available at most garden and DIY centres. I stand to be corrected though. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just so long as you keep,the Steam Oil Separate and know what it is most oils work for the Wheels and Valve Gear. I tend to use 20/50 but that was when I had a supply of that for the car. This was recommended by a Live Steam Sage back in the 90’s. In my Live Steam Tool Box are 2 Oil Thingmamy bobs that get the oil out with a push of a lever. The Steam Oil one has a Black Band Painted on with the words ‘Steam oil’ Crudely written on in White Paint so that I do not make mistakes.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sports shops sell gun oil in 3in1 size cans. It's less acid than 3in1 .
That sounds like good advice was a little bit worried about oils that may affect the Insulation Fittings on Roundhouse Locomotive that appear to be some kind of Hard Plastic.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Blue can 3-in-1 is good. Red can 3-in-21 is also good. Car lube oil is good. Any medium-weight lube oil is good. So long as it is metal on metal. The old Singer Sewing machine oil worked for me when I got starting into big scale railways, back in the seventies, but without a Singer store to buy it from................
BLue 3-in-1 is what is known as "turbine" oil - designed for bearings on electric motors (e.g. fans) or small steam engines. I use that on my locomotives. I also have a bottle of synthetic oil (like Mobil 1) packaged for modelling that I found on amazon, and I now use that everywhere except the lubricator.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sports shops sell gun oil in 3in1 size cans. It's less acid than 3in1 .
I looked up references to the acidity of 3 in 1, can you point to some information about this. Not disagreeing with you, but could not find ANY reference to acidity of 3 in 1...

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I thought 3-in-1 was a no-no, due to varnishes in it? - AND I thought that was posted on here somewhere??

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It would seem there are at least 3 different 3 in 1, gun, blue and “standard” or I may have just misread the thread.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Castrol R.....................................................to a REAL motorcyclist what coal and oil and steam is to a steam locomotive nut.

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Accucraft recommends a variety of lubricants. The choice of lubricant is dependent on the parts being lubricated. Beyond this, it seems to me that choosing the right lubricant would also depend on the environment the engine is being run in. That is, heavy oils or light grease may be contraindicated when running outside where wind and dust is prevalent. In that case, perhaps the less sticky properties of graphite would be a better choice.

3 in 1 oil was my choice for servicing American Flyer locomotives. it worked well on the drive rods and valve gear. 3 in 1 even worked in the smoke generator. However, my parents were not impressed, they focused more on some silly oil stains on the living room carpet. I was five.

************************************EDIT***********************************

My mistake, I thought this forum thread was in electric powered models.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Where there is moisture or oil, graphite is usually not a good choice, it cakes up into a goo that really does not lubricate.

On sparkies, I have seen where this "goo" actually created a short on an insulated wheel

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Adding to Greg's comment above - for those who run indoors on carpets*, the black grunge does NOT come out of carpets. Except with a blow-lamp.

*Yes, there are STILL people who get the train-set out, set it up and run it around the living room/tree.