LS&ET Crews to get an upgrade

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
While out with Hycinth on a quiliting expidition I spotted this Gold Braid in 1:22.5 scale. I shall give the crews an upgrade with new gold braid that will replace the thin gold thread currently on their uniforms on the right of the picture.

DSCF1362.JPG

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
OH trev,very smart,is this instead of their pay rises :happy:,i can`t say anything,my conductors get 9ct gold watchchains,,,,!!! :eek:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Riograndad said:
OH trev,very smart,is this instead of their pay rises :happy:,i can`t say anything,my conductors get 9ct gold watchchains,,,,!!! :eek:
Pay rises are out of the question! We run a realistic tramway at considerable loss :happy: :eek: ??? ::)

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Tramcar Trev said:
Pay rises are out of the question! We run a realistic tramway at considerable loss :happy: :eek: ??? ::)

Whilst keeping up appearances! ;)

By the way Trev, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
trammayo said:
Whilst keeping up appearances! ;)

By the way Trev, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
ahh no I dont think so, if I did I'll respond....

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you have sorted those uniforms yet,any pics?never know they may even make Vogue magazine! ;)joking aside,seriously interested. ;)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Did the spool say 1:22.5 scale on it? [e]356[/e]

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I have the gold "braid" but not yet applied. I have to unstick the little chappies to sort it..... I don't see any issue doing it, join behind where its not too visible, micro dot of "Q Bond" wrap around and another micro dot then trim with a sharp blade, a minute per arm.... cuffs for conductors, cuffs and hat bands for motormen and of course the "Inspector" will be covered in gold braid as they were in real life.............................

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback,my interest was not for uniforms but for seat "piping" on my Sierra car bash,need a nice edge around the seat backs,just to finish them off,not thinking of using gold,but maybe a straight colour braid,only an idea for now though :)its just when i saw your posting it got me thinking ;)

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
OK may I with the greatest respect suggest you visit a Habberdasher of good quality? They carry an astounding collection of this sort of stuff, and you know all the sales girls can at least mend you're trousers...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting take on the detail Trev. When my Dad got an Inspectors Job on British Rail he called the Gold Brading on the Hat Scrambked Egg! Not sure if that was a general term or just my Dad.
JonD

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Interesting take on the detail Trev. When my Dad got an Inspectors Job on British Rail he called the Gold Brading on the Hat Scrambked Egg! Not sure if that was a general term or just my Dad.
JonD
No Scrambled egg was the words used.... Although his subordinates would have reffered to him as "the braid"....

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes,good idea,worth a visit,only thing is SWMBO may have something to say about girls mending my trousers,,,,mmmm maybe worth the risk? ;) ;)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
We must have been the poor relations of transport undertakings in the West Riding of Yorkshire - no gold braid, but rather made in black. I was told it dated back to Queen Victoria's death and the black braid signified "in mourning". Maybe the Corporations were too tight to change :happy:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
We must have been the poor relations of transport undertakings in the West Riding of Yorkshire - no gold braid, but rather made in black. I was told it dated back to Queen Victoria's death and the black braid signified "in mourning". Maybe the Corporations were too tight to change :happy:

Dad went to London Marylebone from being a Goods Guard at Healey Mills in 1952, fed up waiting for oldies to retire or whatever before moving on. Within a Year he was a Passenger Guard. Eventually went on to the Top Link at Euston then a Supervisor where the Egg came in. I followed him back to London in 1983 after emigrating North in 1972. Again for fame and Money. Well infamy and promotion in both cases.
JonD

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
trammayo said:
I think Victoria should have been cononised a long time ago as the patron saint of railways...

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you right there Trev - she was a true patron of the railways!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
trammayo said:
Yes you right there Trev - she was a true patron of the railways!
Maybe she should have been CANONISED... not colonised....Typos who can live without them?

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, Queen Vic in the colonies. Yes, she climbed onto a plinth in Kent Terrace here in Wellington, just as a cold southerly came in...... she's still there!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I would give just about anything for a 150mm tall figurine of her to mount in Queens Sq....
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18171396
http://www.smh.com.au/national/not-the-rolls-or-bentley-but-a-commoners-conveyance-gives-her-majesty-a-royal-ride-20111026-1mk4i.html