London Transport Weekend at the Epping & Ongar Railway - 9 Oct 21

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Great pictures. The tube stock is 59 stock built to a similar design to the 38.
There is also at Epping Station car park L11, an old LT depot shunter created by cutting and shutting two pre 38 or Standard Stock motor cars to produce this unusual loco
It’s in the care I believe of the Cravens tube stock group 05744B25-030A-41AA-AC50-13248E92D28A.jpeg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There is also at Epping Station car park L11, an old LT depot shunter created by cutting and shutting two pre 38 or Standard Stock motor cars to produce this unusual loco
It’s in the care I believe of the Cravens tube stock group View attachment 291278
We did see that loco, and I did wonder what it was. I didn't realise it was a cut and shut job! I thought it may be departmental stock

It now sits on its own length of track (now connectedto the LU, and it's now painted yellow.

And thanks to Max and James for the correction of the '59 stock. I wondered if it was ex Isle of Wight, but obviously I now stand corrected and informed....

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Another LU "cut and shut" job that lives at the LT museum's Acton Town Depot outpost - The Sleet Loco - | London Transport Museum. The Depot is a real must see treasure trove and is usually open to the public for at least three weekends a year. Or try one of their "hidden London" site tours. I just did the Kingsway team subway, fascinating. You will have to excuse me, I'm an enthusiast for all things LT, maybe it's because I'm a Londoner. Max

Sleet loco.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I, too, am an enthusiast. Not too sure why, probably because there's things there you can't usually see. Although I quite enjoy a tube trip, I can find it extremely uncomfortable at times.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I, too, am an enthusiast. Not too sure why, probably because there's things there you can't usually see. Although I quite enjoy a tube trip, I can find it extremely uncomfortable at times.
I once told a guy that I enjoyed looking out of the windows on the tube - it took him a long time to fall in :devil: :devil:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

No need to feel uncomfortable Paul. Just pick up any old copy of a Metro you will find lying around and start reading. Then you never need to make eye contact with any of your fellow passengers in the car. ;) :D Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No need to feel uncomfortable Paul. Just pick up any old copy of a Metro you will find lying around and start reading. Then you never need to make eye contact with any of your fellow passengers in the car. ;) :D Max
Strangely, it's not the people, it's the heat and noise

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Fine selection of pictures! Thanks for sharing. I see the big beast 45132 trying to hide on a couple of them ( I believe the loco has/is still suffering with main gen problems). Also good the see the first chopper looking as if it is being worked on.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Big problem with most these days is the obsession with centre looking seats that make your neck ache if trying to look out of the window a long time on the side you sit. It rather galled me on the stock Class 378 Capitalstar that is used in the overground North London line and Euston Watford (though there are newer trains British Rail Class 710 - Wikipedia now that I have not yet travelled on so cannot comment on the seat layout) that all have inwards seating. I wonder why they could not have been like the old Oerlikon stock that got withdrawn in the 50’s that had just a few forward facing seats. One preserved in the NRM. But we must accept what is built as standing rush hour capacity is all.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fine selection of pictures! Thanks for sharing. I see the big beast 45132 trying to hide on a couple of them ( I believe the loco has/is still suffering with main gen problems). Also good the see the first chopper looking as if it is being worked on.
I spoke to the group raising funds to repair the failed generator on the day John.

And I made a voluntary contribution too....

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
I spoke to the group raising funds to repair the failed generator on the day John.

And I made a voluntary contribution too....

Nice one. People who embark on preserving, particularly diesel locos, have my utmost respect. They are absolute money pits.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one. People who embark on preserving, particularly diesel locos, have my utmost respect. They are absolute money pits.
I was advised that the generator was sent away for repair and was returned just pre Covid at some expense !
After the many months of disruption/lock down eventually it was re installed, but failed to work
Ordinarily you might expect warranty on the workmanship to apply but I guess it may be difficult given time passage of time proving the repair was faulty wouldn’t be straight forward

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
There are many more material - critical components in a diesel drive-chain, even more if the final drive is hydraulic..
Probably why you see cannibalised buses on preserved railway sites?

There is the odd-Bodge, you can get away with.. Most preserved railways, run shorter, lighter formations.
Chasewater has (possibly had} a diesel with a broken piston, wedged solid in the bore... Removed the rod, blanked off the ports, and run it one cylinder down..
A bit lumpy to start, when cold, but does in the yard.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There are many more material - critical components in a diesel drive-chain, even more if the final drive is hydraulic..
Probably why you see cannibalised buses on preserved railway sites?

There is the odd-Bodge, you can get away with.. Most preserved railways, run shorter, lighter formations.
Chasewater has (possibly had} a diesel with a broken piston, wedged solid in the bore... Removed the rod, blanked off the ports, and run it one cylinder down..
A bit lumpy to start, when cold, but does in the yard.
The preservation group that took up residence at the old GCR Finmere station site a few years back, till HS2 drove their works through it, bagged a "failed" Class 73 electro diesel from the TML/Eurostar operators for £1 (and cost of removal). The problem ? A a single duff cylinder head (1 for each cylinder), easily fixed after removal and inspection by its ex' RAF engineer owner. It was used to shunt stock around the track layout they had laid on the site. It could be driven from the other end of the 4 VEP EMU set in the picture, as could a lot of other southern region 3 rail EMU's types.

I was given a tour of the engine room by its proud owner. The eclectic collection of stock there included a near complete LU '59 tube stock set, missing a driving motor car. Which kind of brings us back where we started. Max

73130_eurostar_73_on_railtour_28956614145.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The preservation group that took up residence at the old GCR Finmere station site a few years back, till HS2 drove their works through it, bagged a "failed" Class 73 electro diesel from the TML/Eurostar operators for £1 (and cost of removal). The problem ? A a single duff cylinder head (1 for each cylinder), easily fixed after removal and inspection by its ex' RAF engineer owner. It was used to shunt stock around the track layout they had laid on the site. It could be driven from the other end of the 4 VEP EMU set in the picture, as could a lot of other southern region 3 rail EMU's types.

I was given a tour of the engine room by its proud owner. The eclectic collection of stock there included a near complete LU '59 tube stock set, missing a driving motor car. Which kind of brings us back where we started. Max

View attachment 291576
I wonder where the Finmere collection has gone?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here are a couple of shots taken at one of the Finmere open days 3/4 years ago. Hosted by the Network Southeast group. Max

20170813_121421.jpg20170813_120001.jpg20170813_113036.jpg20170813_112835.jpg

My apologies Gizzy if I appear to be hijacking the thread. But the subject matter seemed complimentary.