Loco Rebuild

Llongfordrailway

Edrig, Little John, Ruby, Ffion and Coal Fowler
17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Hello all,

I've been in the workshop this weekend and made headway on the coal fired engines here is a YouTube clip of the progress made:

16mm Coal Fired Steam Engine- Rebuild:

http://youtu.be/AzURUj4s0ns

Regards

Daniel

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Stick with it Daniel, will watch your progress.
John.

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Thanks for the encouragement John. Hoping to have it sorted by the end of Feb. Fingers crossed!

Did you get my personal message?

Regards

Daniel

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Hi Daniel

I see you are taking steam from the turret for your blower and reg, you may have a problem with the sight glass also coming off the turret
when you open the blower it is possible for water to be drawn through the sight glass and blown up the chimney, it is also possible that if the
regulator is opened to much it will have a similar effect. If you could split the waterway in the turret so that the sight glass is separate to the steam
distribution this will work or go back to your original idea of a separate feed to the top of the sight glass from the bush you have with a more substantial fitting to
protect the glass.
Carry on the good work

Shaun

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Interesting point Shaun, I'll proceed with caution. I've Seen others do a similar approach to this without reporting any issues but when I steam it up, I'll let you know the results! If I need to go back to the dedicated boiler bush, as I originally set out to-do, I will rethink the setup as I found the glass was vulnerable and broke easily. Plus I wasn't keen on the blow down valve sticking right out of the back of the engine.

We shall see.

Thanks for your advice.

Daniel

TLR

24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Hi Daniel,

I have just had a look at the pictures of John's Fowler on the other thread and his sight glass is on a dedicated bush on the boiler, as you have found the glass to be vunerable could it not be sleeved in some way although my own experience I have never had [ tempting fate ] any problems.
See how you go with the proposed set up, at least you have the bush in the boiler as a back up.

Hope all goes well.

Shaun.

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
[attachment=2][/attachment]

I`ve been in the shed tonight making some adjustments to the back head fittings. I`ve taken on board the advice given and made an fitting for the sight glass taking off the boiler bush as originally intended and made another banjo bolt for the pressure gauge as the last one broke!

Steam test this weekend I hope. Fingers crossed.

Regards

Daniel

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
The boiler successfully passed it's hydraulic test today as I only informally tested it myself when first built so wanted it done by the 16mm tester. It's now assembled back together and I'll look to steam it up in the near future (when I get a minute!!) and then paint it.

Fingers crossed all will be OK.

Regards

Daniel

TLR

24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Well done Daniel, hope to see it in steam soon.

Shaun

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Well after a busy few weeks building a cab for the engine, painting and rebuilding, here are the pictures so far. A few details are needed but this is largely what it will look like. Excuse the missing buffer beam, can`t find the screws and bolts for it! "Now I know they`re around here somewhere...."

Regards

Daniel

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1425747267867.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1425747267867.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 81
  • uploadfromtaptalk1425747274325.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1425747274325.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1425747295001.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1425747295001.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 47

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Cab layout looks neater. Hows it running Daniel.
John.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks extremely good. A credit to you. :D

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
I thought so to John. I took on-board your advice and I think it makes all of the difference. I also purposefully made the cab bigger so I wasn't cramming everything in a small space. It's not based on any prototype but I think the proportions look ok. I've yet to run it as I'm reluctant to do it on the rolling road which we spoke about as it will go ten to the dozen and not run well. In theory, it should run fine as I've tested each component. Axle pump is working, the blast and blower pipe are central to the chimney, the smoke box is sealed, the steam fittings don't weep but we shall see. I'm hoping to run it at a local open day as my line is unsuitable with its sharp curves and gradients but depending when it is, I may use the rolling road to test it to make sure there are no major issues.

Thanks for the compliments Alan. I decided to use Phoenix Precision Paints this time rather than Halfords and I am very happy with the results.

Regards

Daniel

TLR

24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Looks nicely proportioned and balanced, hope it runs as well as it looks.

Well done

Shaun.

Llongfordrailway

17 Nov 2013
Lancashire
Best answers
Ok. Confession time! I decided to run it yesterday late afternoon/evening. I know I said earlier that I'd wait but on looking at open days they are about 4 to 6 weeks away and as if by chance ;) the sun came out and it brightened up. It must've been a sign so I thought "blow it, let’s steam 'er up!"

It's not ideal on the rolling road but it gives me an idea that it is all ok. The engine steamed well, ran well but unfortunately when it was raising steam, the little nut pinged off the reversing quadrant and the little spring disappeared into the grass. Drat! It wasn't ideal but I was holding the reversing lever in place to get it to run. This of course limited the length of run but it highlighted that there weren't any issues which will hopefully pacify me until the open day in a few weeks’ time. Roundhouse were excellent, as always, I rang them to buy another. "No problem" I was told, "we'll pop one in the post, free of charge!". Excellent service from Roundhouse with fantastic customer service.

Regards

Daniel