Live Steam Loco for a Beginner

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
I also live in a hard water area, I have been using filtered rain water for at least the last 20 or more years, sight glass still viewable so as far as I can see no adverse effects.

Shaun
Don't Know what happened above but to reiterate the glass are still viewable and no adverse effects!!!

Shaun

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Don't Know what happened above but to reiterate the glass are still viewable and no adverse effects!!!

Shaun

Seems to be a gremlin in the system who doesn't like me today. Shaun

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
If you can find a second hand LGB/Aster Frank S, they make an excellent starter engine, designed to run on R1 curves, chunky outside frame 0-6-0 with tender, set up from the factory for RC control and affordable for the quality of the build, atleast when compared to the Accucraft product I have owned that cost a similar amount on my side of the pond. Frankie has one of the easiest water site glasses to view. Roundhouse makes a fine product, but the exchange rate up till recently really hurt us over here. A Lady Anne being nearly twice the cost of a Frank S in mint or near mint condition. For me, its distilled water only, easily available at the local grocery store. Even then over time the site glass will want to frost up a bit. A steam up on blocks with a 50/50 mix of vinager and distilled water will flush the boiler and steam lines out, will smell like a kitchen during this process. A couple more runs with straight water afterwards till the "kitchen" smell is gone finishes up the boiler cleaning process. I also caretake a pair of Regners for my friend and both are excellent models. The Willi or the Konrad are excellent and do not require RC to run well. Lumberjack or Challoner are also excellent models. Cheers. Mike
Frank S 1.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
If you can find a second hand LGB/Aster Frank S, they make an excellent starter engine, designed to run on R1 curves, chunky outside frame 0-6-0 with tender, set up from the factory for RC control and affordable for the quality of the build, atleast when compared to the Accucraft product I have owned that cost a similar amount on my side of the pond. Frankie has one of the easiest water site glasses to view. Roundhouse makes a fine product, but the exchange rate up till recently really hurt us over here. A Lady Anne being nearly twice the cost of a Frank S in mint or near mint condition. For me, its distilled water only, easily available at the local grocery store. Even then over time the site glass will want to frost up a bit. A steam up on blocks with a 50/50 mix of vinager and distilled water will flush the boiler and steam lines out, will smell like a kitchen during this process. A couple more runs with straight water afterwards till the "kitchen" smell is gone finishes up the boiler cleaning process. I also caretake a pair of Regners for my friend and both are excellent models. The Willi or the Konrad are excellent and do not require RC to run well. Lumberjack or Challoner are also excellent models. Cheers. Mike
View attachment 215828

Not sure about actually running with the vinegar mix? you'd be flushing all the scale that flakes off but doesn't dissolve through the pipes and cylinders? that's not going to much for the seals and the pistons and bores or the valve block for that matter...............

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
It was a recommended practice by a well known live steamer in the states and published in his series "Getting Started in Live Steam with Frank S" in the Steam in the Garden magazine. I have never done it yet as I haven't steamed any of my engines enough to have issues with the site glass. And, Frankie's is removable and can be cleaned by hand. With the site glass removed, one could flush just the boiler out if need be. Distilled water is less than a $1.50 for a gallon, many times on sale $0.99 at the store where I live. i just keep a couple gallons around. Most major steam ups here in the states provide the oil, water and gas for those that fly in with thier engines. I will say that the Frank S is much more controlable over the Ruby series of engines or the ones based on the Ruby chassis like the Forney. Jim Hadden bashed several of the Frank S engines into a really nice 2-6-2 T logging tank engine. Mike

Sandy lodge

Registered
29 Feb 2016
Henley on Thames, UK
Best answers
No no no a thousand times no. Water Filter does not remove all the Minerals.

No.

No again.

I will say it again, ONLY WATER FROM A DE-HUMIDIFIER TO BE SAFE.
JonD

Disagree on the only use water from a de- humidifier. Agree it is an ideal source but rain water is fine.

I just put a few glass bowls out on the garden table when heavy rain is forecast and then put the collected rain in a 5l plastic can and keep it in a dark cupboard so algi does not form.

Some people use deionised water which I have read can leach out the zinc from boiler fittings so I avoid

Some people use super pure distilled water but I hear that can also leach the zinc as well so I avoid

However I think we can be in danger of being too precious about water as provided we don't use hard water the locomotive mechanical parts are more likely to be completely knackered before the boiler !!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The point about leaching zinc from brass is only if such brass fittings are under water for considerable times. If the boiler/model has been properly constructed, all such fittings should NOT be made of brass, but of bronze.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Well Live Steam finally arrives on the Blagdon & Butcombe Railway!
A short test run of the recently acquired Regner Konrad, my first Live Steam Locomotive. A superb little machine, that handles the tight curves and un-even track of the B&BLR with ease.
Here we see the Konrad, light engine, on one of her first test runs on the railway.
Massive Thanks for Jon for purchase and showing me the ropes on how to operate her.
Hope you enjoyed!

Reactions: 1 user