Live Steam Loco for a Beginner

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Hi all.
Over the past few weeks I have been thinking long and hard about getting a Live Steam Loco for the railway. Now, I've never had a live steam loco before (the close thing I have gotten to it is a Mamod Traction Engine).
I looked a various Models on the mark and there certainly is a fair few, but was wondering which one would be the most suitable and for the best price.
If I were to get one it would need to meet some criteria
1. Easy to use - As mentioned I've never use a Live Steam Loco before, and would like to start of with something easy to use)
2. Reliable - I know there are some Live Steams that have a tendency to be a bit temperamental or shoot off like pocket rockets (A geared loco would be superb)
3. Go around LGB 1st Radius - My railway consists of 1R's, so it must be able to get around them.
4. R/C - R/C is not an issue, but would be nice if it's the right price
5. And the most important, Price - I don't want to break the bank. ;)

I have a friend who has a R/C Accucraft Ragleth and he swears by them, my only issue after just look at the Track-Shack Website, they have just gone up by £200, making them now over £1000! Which it well out of my price range, looking for something around half that at most.

I know it's a big ask, but would interesting to hear if there is anything suitable out there.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Must it be new? There is plenty of second-hand stuff about, try a look on Anything Narrow Gauge site http://www.anythingnarrowgauge.co.uk/ (and others) he seems to keep a good changing selection. I don't find any of them particularly difficult to use, though some do have little foibles, particularly burners. Your limitation is mostly your R1s, but most four wheelers will go round that without issue.

Reactions: 1 user

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
There are a few options but really the best thing would attend a show or a few 16mm running days and get to see a few different ones running and the chance for some face to face questioning. And you never know you could walk away with a second hand bargain. :) Be warned though, live steam becomes very addictive and thankfully there is no known cure :D

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all.
Over the past few weeks I have been thinking long and hard about getting a Live Steam Loco for the railway. Now, I've never had a live steam loco before (the close thing I have gotten to it is a Mamod Traction Engine).
I looked a various Models on the mark and there certainly is a fair few, but was wondering which one would be the most suitable and for the best price.
If I were to get one it would need to meet some criteria
1. Easy to use - As mentioned I've never use a Live Steam Loco before, and would like to start of with something easy to use)
2. Reliable - I know there are some Live Steams that have a tendency to be a bit temperamental or shoot off like pocket rockets (A geared loco would be superb)
3. Go around LGB 1st Radius - My railway consists of 1R's, so it must be able to get around them.
4. R/C - R/C is not an issue, but would be nice if it's the right price
5. And the most important, Price - I don't want to break the bank. ;)

I have a friend who has a R/C Accucraft Ragleth and he swears by them, my only issue after just look at the Track-Shack Website, they have just gone up by £200, making them now over £1000! Which it well out of my price range, looking for something around half that at most.

I know it's a big ask, but would interesting to hear if there is anything suitable out there.
Conversation just sent.
JonD

philately

Registered
12 May 2013
Best answers
Have a look at Roundhouse Basic series if you are happy to live with slip eccentric valve gear (you have to give the loco a shove to reverse it). Cost about £610 new. If you visit www.roundhouse-eng.com, you will see what I mean. Lots of accessories to prettify your loco with too.

Roundhouse offer excellent support both before and after sales. And a loco made in Doncaster has to be the best!;)

Be aware that live steam requires you to be an engine driver rather than a layout operator, especially if your line has gradients. You have to have a much closer relationship with a steam loco than an electric one, whether or not it's radio controlled.

Richard

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Even though it will break the bank I recommend a Roundhouse r/c loco. Regners can be temperamental with their burner. Accucraft are cheaper than Riundhouse but in my limited experience don't have the same level of control. Roundhouse locos tend to just work well. If there are any issues Roundhouse give great support. I would go for radio control because otherwise you will be chasing your loco round the garden trying to control it.
I'm careful with money but after much consideration I went for a Roundhouse r/c and I am very pleased that I did. Most people will only have one live steamer so make it a good one.
Lady Anne seems to be able to cope with R1 points if taken carefully.

skycap

Registered
11 May 2016
USA
Best answers
I have a Regner Lumberjack non radio controlled and a RoundhouseBilly which is radio controlled. I built both from kits and they run great. The Lumberjack is a geared engine and easily controlled without rc. The Billy has a slo mo device and a joy to run with exceptional performance. I recently got a DJB whistle for the Billy which I need to install.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Roundhouse, Regner and Accucraft all make good locos. It really depends on what you want from the loco: size, look, run time, etc. If you use R1 track you will need to run slow so a geared loco may be a plus although a run in loco with r/c should manage it. Personally I like locos with bigger boilers as you can get a long run without having to keep topping up.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to invite your friend round for a testing session?

It might help you get some answers and also it would be a fun hour or two

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

riderdan

Registered
30 Dec 2013
Kansas
Best answers
I started with an Accucraft Dora.

It's easy to use, as it's a very simply designed butane burner.

I've found it to be reliable--I've not done anything but add water, fuel, and oil and periodically lubricate the running gear. It's geared, so not extremely jack-rabitty. However, it is pretty fast even with the throttle just cracked. Not Ruby fast, but not slow.

I've taken it to school and run it on an R1 circle, so that's not an issue.

I'm not sure about fitting RC. I've heard it's possible, but it's not set up for that out of the box.

Finally, there's one on U.S. eBay right now for $400 US (around 300 pounds), which includes the locomotive and two ore cars. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCUCRAFT-A...707632?hash=item3d253c3470:g:U9IAAOSwMgdX0yiJ)

Anyway, I've been pleased with my purchase. I run it almost as often as my Frank S--it's such a cute little thing and requires almost no effort (for a steamer) to steam up and send off.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Thanks ever so much indeed Guys! Really has been a real eye opener. Think for now I've narrowed it down to two locos, if I do plan to go ahead with it. Those two being the Accucraft Dora and Regner Conrad, both seem very suitable models for my R1 railway and are within budget, plus seem very good starting platforms for a beginner. Just go to side which would be best.
But before that a few more questions...
I know most Accurcraft models are designed to run out of gas before water, would the Regner or other brands do the same? As I know this can be an issue if not.
Water, I live in a area with reasonably hard water. What sort of water should I use? Distilled? Or some sort of other special water?
Also what gas to use and where to get it?

Guess some of these questions give away how much of a novices I am ;) Any more help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know about which type of water to use, but ask all the questions you can think of. It's a smarter way to go.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Water, I live in a area with reasonably hard water. What sort of water should I use? Distilled? Or some sort of other special water?
Also what gas to use and where to get it?

Guess some of these questions give away how much of a novices I am ;) Any more help would be much appreciated

I hear that the water from a de-humidifier is OK.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have PM'd a few answers. Gas you can get Butane from Halfords, many other suppliers like Wicks and DIY Joints do a Butane/Propane Mix. Ok but best to only use the Mix in Cold Weather. Though I have been using it recently (only in my Roundhouse Locomotives) as I ran out of Butane only with no detremental effects. Butane/Propane does burn hotter hence the Winter use.
JonD

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Have PM'd a few answers. Gas you can get Butane from Halfords, many other suppliers like Wicks and DIY Joints do a Butane/Propane Mix. Ok but best to only use the Mix in Cold Weather. Though I have been using it recently (only in my Roundhouse Locomotives) as I ran out of Butane only with no detremental effects. Butane/Propane does burn hotter hence the Winter use.
JonD

Actually propane / butane mix's doesn't burn hotter, the propane allows the gas to be available at lower temps

at 60 F per cubic foot the BTU is

Propane 2516 BTU
Butane 3280 BTU
for comparison
Natural Gas 1012 BTU

So as a rule of thumb if the gas tank is onboard the loco then then you can run on butane in air temp of about 10 C 50 F upwards, below use a mix 70/ 30 butane / propane.

Shaun

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag

I use filtered rainwater collected in a small butt fed from the guttering on the train shed. Believe me, you would need a very large fleet with an intensive time-table to ever get near running low!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I know most Accurcraft models are designed to run out of water before gas, would the Regner or other brands do the same? As I know this can be an issue if not.

Acually that is the other way round, they should run out of gas before running out of water.

You say you live in a hard water area, how do you know? The best test of all is to check the kettle. If that furrs up again quickly, a week or so after de-furring, then it is too hard. Better though to use water from a de-humidifier or filtered rain water, or distilled.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Acually that is the other way round, they should run out of gas before running out of water.

You say you live in a hard water area, how do you know? The best test of all is to check the kettle. If that furrs up again quickly, a week or so after de-furring, then it is too hard. Better though to use water from a de-humidifier or filtered rain water, or distilled.
Yes, that what I meant, can't believe I put it the wrong way around! :rofl: Edited now. Yes, the kettle does have a lot a limescale as do the taps, so the water is quite hard. Excellent, I have a de-humidifier, so all is good there. By filtered rain water, I take it that means just getting all the dirt and bits and pieces out of it. Not running it through a special filter of something like that.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers

I use filtered rainwater collected in a small butt fed from the guttering on the train shed. Believe me, you would need a very large fleet with an intensive time-table to ever get near running low!
Got plenty of water butts in the garden so shouldn't run short there ;)