Linz Gstadt Bahn 2

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Quick question sir - how will trains exit the amorphous loop ? :nerd: :nerd:

Well after several months, the missing link is installed. However the loco still has to run around the loop to couple up at the other end of the train to leave the mountain loop
I could have installed a reversing loop module from stock I suppose and have a rh point instead of left.....
6DBF3E23-F15B-4792-AAA1-0CC379020E24.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Quick question sir - how will trains exit the amorphous loop ? :nerd: :nerd:

Well after several months, the missing link is installed. However the loco still has to run around the loop to couple up at the other end of the train to leave the mountain loop

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
However the loco still has to run around the loop to couple up at the other end of the train to leave the mountain loop
I'm sure there's a prototype for this somewhere. :nod:

I know I've seen it, but can't think where.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, it was making my neck ache.

216456_33f612499cad11021c31c91d2fbbd3b7.jpeg

David

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, need to get over and test it, when we can..

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
My first brand new loco for a few years is a U Class 298.25 - factory weathered with DCC/MFX sound all fitted. Supplied courtesy of Peyker Modellbahn of Austria. It appears that this is the last new one available in Europe and is certified number 136.
3D874674-528D-41EE-965C-69A32C22988D.jpeg6F06369A-4331-4B62-917E-1F3E8CEAA97E.jpegC92C1544-DFCD-4AD6-A87D-887623108D9A.jpeg2A7B6257-0703-4506-95C7-0720F669B5B3.jpeg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Instead of Paul Stainz, it'll be Paul U :emo:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You can never have too many U ‘s with an Austrian layout. Nice locomotives, a couple of similar Metre Gauge Locs to the U ran on the Harz.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
U Class hauled goods chugs up the new link to the mountain line.
combined shale and postcrete embankment here. The top end is still a work in progress at the left hand point.
DBEFBC07-D7F8-46D4-A998-0158FA828E7E.jpeg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, just catching up with a lot of threads after a long period of inactivity on here... the new railway looks great, and very belated congrats on your nuptials earlier this year! :)

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure there's a prototype for this somewhere. :nod:

I know I've seen it, but can't think where.
I know of two return loops.

One is just up the road from me at Ely, the Adelaide Loop;

Ely West Curve
Ely West Curve (also known as the 'Adelaide loop', the 'Ely avoiding line' and the 'Ely freight loop') is a single-track loop which branches in the up direction from Ely North Junction. The loop turns through 180 degrees to re-join the Ely to Peterborough Line in the down (northbound) direction. Ely West Curve was laid in on 1 October 1890, to allow freight trains from the Midlands and north to run directly onto the King's Lynn and Norwich lines in the down (northbound) direction without reversal thus avoiding Ely station. Later, it was used by an increasing number of passenger trains, particularly holiday expresses to the Norfolk coast. In 1966 regular passenger traffic over the curve ceased.[1] Currently there is one passenger train per week, in one direction only, which uses the Ely West Curve. This is the East Midland Trains 15:54 Sunday service from Norwich to Manchester Piccadilly.

The other is on the Harz Railway (Selketalbahn)....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Ely West Curve
Ely West Curve (also known as the 'Adelaide loop', the 'Ely avoiding line' and the 'Ely freight loop') is a single-track loop which branches in the up direction from Ely North Junction. The loop turns through 180 degrees to re-join the Ely to Peterborough Line in the down (northbound) direction. Ely West Curve was laid in on 1 October 1890, to allow freight trains from the Midlands and north to run directly onto the King's Lynn and Norwich lines in the down (northbound) direction without reversal thus avoiding Ely station. Later, it was used by an increasing number of passenger trains, particularly holiday expresses to the Norfolk coast. In 1966 regular passenger traffic over the curve ceased.[1] Currently there is one passenger train per week, in one direction only, which uses the Ely West Curve. This is the East Midland Trains 15:54 Sunday service from Norwich to Manchester Piccadilly.

Just remembered, Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway at Dungeness :nod: :nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Ely West Curve

Ah yes, the Stiege Loop - originally used (I believe) for turning coal trains; we saw it from the main line on our visit in 2017, when me, Chris and Stuart were the only passengers on a railcar from Alexisbad to Eisfelder Talmuhle - we did briefly consider slipping the driver a few Euros to take us round the loop, but he'd already made one unscheduled detour on the trip!

A wonderful aerial photo of it can be found in "Zug in die Wolken":

Stiege loop pic.jpeg

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
One of the places I go trainspotting, is Chettisham Level Crossing, just north of Ely, on the Peterborough line.

Freights often leave March Up yard, head towards Ely and use the Adelaide Loop to turn around to head to Peterborough and the ECML.

At Chettisham, you will see the train go past in one direction, and then in the other 10 minutes later!

The loop is also used by the sand trains from Middleton, coming via the Kings Lynn line....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The loop is also used by the sand trains from Middleton, coming via the Kings Lynn line....
:)

........... provided that they haven't derailed when they have to trundle into the sidings for the loco to run around at King's Lynn. The sidings are actually part of the old line that used to run down to the docks at KL

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Ely West Curve

Newcastle also fits the bill. Most Down trains arrive at the Station by the well known King Edward Bridge, but if a Down train has been turned by Engineering works or some other issue down South a train can arrive at Newcastle by passing the site of the former Gateshead Shed, turn left onto the High Level Bridge then turn left again arriving in Newcastle Station having arrived in the Up direction. It can work for an Up Train by reversing at Newcastle to run via HL and Gateshead as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah yes, the Stiege Loop - originally used (I believe) for turning coal trains; we saw it from the main line on our visit in 2017, when me, Chris and Stuart were the only passengers on a railcar from Alexisbad to Eisfelder Talmuhle - we did briefly consider slipping the driver a few Euros to take us round the loop, but he'd already made one unscheduled detour on the trip!

A wonderful aerial photo of it can be found in "Zug in die Wolken":

View attachment 272502

Jon.
That looks a bit like a picture of a model railway layout :wondering::wondering: