Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely look like Bachmann on the Bachmann Europe website ;)
In which case, they should be all right if you treat them gently and don't expect them to run all day and night.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Same as the Bachmann ones.

I had one for a while which was a good runner, but I have heard the motors and gears aren't very good?

Depends on how you treat them I guess....

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
;) Perhaps I should save my cash and buy second hand LGB, I only run analogue.

Thank you for your help

Reactions: 1 user

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Only just seen this thread, but as Liliput is a bachmann Company now, has been for a few years actually, it is confirmed that the Liliput G scale trams are virtually the same as bachmann labelled ones, I am informed that they were supoosed to have upgraded the drive mechanism, but from what i have heard, they are still quite poor perormers unless treated very gently and not run for too long without a break!

I had a Bachmann Tram once it very soon got converted to a trailer!

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Some of the older ones failed out of the box without being run, it seemed to be an age thing. The problem was the plastic gear wheel had an undersize centre hole. After a time the gear wheel split even if it had never run.
All the ones I run at exhibitions have been remotored with USA trains mechanisms.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
008.JPG 006.JPG Careful perusal of these photos, reveals my only Bachmann Tram which had already been de-motered and converted into a trailer!

Vintage photos!! The LGB Tram & Trailer had only just been released then in '96 and was brand new, happily running round the rockery AND powered from the overhead.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Certainly seem a lot cheaper than the LGB trams. Perhaps built to a price, hence the supposedly poor reliability reputation?

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I noticed on an N scale Forum this morning that Bachmann have upgraded their (fairly awful representation) of an N scale PCC car with a new motor and brass gears and their Brill bogie car is going to be upgraded in the near future as well. These have the same gear problem as the large scale ones (I know, as I have some of the N Brill cars), so perhaps they might actually do something about the G scale ones as well?

One can only hope..............

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Problem is it costs to upgrade..........and the sales volume is just not there.... so to upgrade would probably be just a waste of investment.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've said this before, Bachmann has the artistry but lacks the engineering.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I've said this before, Bachmann has the artistry but lacks the engineering.
Not really, some of their productions work superbly but as with most things you dont get Rolls Royce quality for the price of a Mini!

'I have several Bachmann 0n30 locos expensive but superb performers, I have owned several of Bachmann's large scale locos from the Shay to the K27 never had any problems with them.
In UK money a bachman/Liliput Trams costs around £100. an LGB tram around 3 times that price so how can the cheap one be expected to give comparable performance

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not really, some of their productions work superbly but as with most things you dont get Rolls Royce quality for the price of a Mini!

'I have several Bachmann 0n30 locos expensive but superb performers, I have owned several of Bachmann's large scale locos from the Shay to the K27 never had any problems with them.
In UK money a bachman/Liliput Trams costs around £100. an LGB tram around 3 times that price so how can the cheap one be expected to give comparable performance

Steve, you are absolutely correct. I should have qualified that statement before I put my two cents in. I have two Bachmann Davenports. I love them. Even more than the LGB 2090 diesels of which I have three. The Davenports pull well, run at very slow speeds superbly and look great.

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
I like the sound of that Bachmann vs.LGB price difference! Might actually change me from 1:33.8 / 9 mm scale to 1:22.5 scale.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would look to get a second hand LGB one, if you pick up a second hand Bachman one they do indeed make great trailer cars. I recently spoke to Glendale about moving on some of my surplus LGB ones and he reckoned that they make little money these days so decided not to get rid of them at the time.

Here are a couple of my old Bachman Cars modified as Trailers, seen on these pages before but probably worth another airing. The Cross Bench has just had all the motor and gearing taken out, the closed one has been mounted on an LGB Shorty Caboose Chassis that I got very cheep from Kent Garden Railways some years back. Both have been painted up Blue for the LLB a line that used to connect with Andy Rush's Ruschbahn. We used the Salloon in colder weather, the cross bench being put into service on Hot Days. Nice to use real reasons to swop stock about.
image.jpg

image.jpg
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
My crossbench converted to trailer...
DSCF3047.JPG

And a Lilliput car which now has the truck from the crossbench!
Testing Trains (177).JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag