LGB23802

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone tell me what type of factory fitted sound decoder is installed in the loco? In particular does it operate in serial or parallel mode. I am looking to convert it to fully DCC operation. The manual talks about using a 55020, I assume that I can use a Massoth instead or will i need an LS or XLS?

Regards

Martin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin,
Just looked at the instructions and...

Multi-Train System This model has a „D“ gearbox and decoder interface.It can be equipped with a LGB Multi-Train System Decoder (55020) using a Decoder Interface Cable (55026). When the decoder is installed, the Train Mouse loco function button will control multiple functions, depending on the number of times the button is pushed.

Push the button in intervals of 0.6 to 1.0 second. Press 1x: Whistle Press 2x: Bell Press 3x: Smoke generator on/off Press 4x: Sound on/off Press 5x: Air pump, slow Press 6x: Brake Press 7x: Coal shoveling Press 8x: Air pump, fast For more information, contact your authorized LGB retailer or an LGB service station (see Factory Service). We recommend factory installation of decoders (see Factory Service). Hint: If you install the decoder yourself, reset the DIP-switches on the smaller of the two circuit boards (motor-light circuit) inside the model. For Multi-Train System operation, all four DIP-switches should be set to OFF.

This would indicate that it uses the Serial pulses from a function output to control the additional sounds.

So if you use an LGB decoder 55020 or 55021 then you will need to send it Serial commands, however. If you use a Massoth decoder, you should set the Fast Serial Pulse option and you should be able to use serial or parallel commands.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin,
Just looked at the instructions and...

This would indicate that it uses the Serial pulses from a function output to control the additional sounds.

So if you use an LGB decoder 55020 or 55021 then you will need to send it Serial commands, however. If you use a Massoth decoder, you should set the Fast Serial Pulse option and you should be able to use serial or parallel commands.
Hi Muns,

Many thanks. I suspected that it used serial commands as I could not get it to work on MY Maerklin CS 2. It looks as if I will have to replace the whole set up with either an LS or XLS. The CS2 does not "like" the 55020 and i have replaced the locos so fitted with an L. Do you think an L would work? I have a spare L so could give it a try.

Regards

Martin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Before trying an LS or XLS, I would try an L with Fast Pulse String on A1 enabled -> CV49 bit 0 on (Serial & Parallel commands) and bit 3 on (Fast Pulse String on A1) - With the other default options as is set it to 27..

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Before trying an LS or XLS, I would try an L with Fast Pulse String on A1 enabled -> CV49 bit 0 on (Serial & Parallel commands) and bit 3 on (Fast Pulse String on A1) - With the other default options as is set it to 27..
Many thanks will do

Regards

Martin

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Muns,

The Loco was fitted with a 55020 and it was a straight forward exercise to change it to An L All the sounds are working. I was able to program it using the CS2. Job done!

Many thanks

Regards

Martin

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Result! Thanks for letting us know the problem has been solved and how.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one