LGB Wireless problem

PartTimer

Registered
1 Dec 2014
Seattle
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all.

I have an LGB 55051/55056 transmitter/receiver set (US model) which is no longer working.

We had it in operation for two seasons (see my post in new members for background) then, in year three, it simply stopped working. None of the other control components in our setup had changed, the batteries were fresh, the same wires were used to connect the receiver to the Central Station, we had not changed any of the dip-switches in the receiver, most of the decoders were the same.

That was two years ago. Last year, with a new layout, I tried getting the wireless system working again, but with no success.

On the weekend, while seeking other information, I found a some posts here about LGB wireless problems. Sadly, a lot of the threads which seemed promising ended up with the offer/suggestion of bringing the malfunctioning device to a club meeting or face-to-face troubleshooter, and the final fix, if there was one, never made it into the forum. Bringing my wireless to England is definitely not in our budget.

There were some things I am going to try, such as cleaning the battery terminals and checking the receiver dip switches (again), but would love to hear suggestions from those of you who have had, and resolved, wireless problems.

Thanks.

Terry

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have had two 55051 transmitters that have failed over time. In one of them when I took it apart there were the telltale signs of board deterioration (white fur on the circuit board) but the other showed no signs of problems - other than the fact it didn't work. I asked Glendale Junction if they could be repaired and the answer was that it wasn't worth the expense - better to buy a replacement.

Rik

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have the original wired insert for the handset?

If so remove any batteries and the 55051 transmitter insert, replacing it with the wired one. Check that the handset can operate trains etc.
If it does then the problem is related to the wireless components.

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
@Part timer - I had exactly this problem (and it may have been my problem that sparked the correspondence). What I eventually discovered was that I couldn't stop the hand set defaulting (in my case ) to a digital channel when I wanted to use it in analogue mode. No choice but to replace it in the end, I fear. . You should be able to pick up a secondhand one - with guarantee - from the likes of GRSUK or Grootspoor.

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Terry,

In addition to what Mark suggested (using the wired connection to confirm it works) you may also want to double check that the little antenna didn't come out of position in the receiver. It may have been bumped just enough to pull it out of the seat on the circuit board.

Keith

PartTimer

Registered
1 Dec 2014
Seattle
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Well it has been a year and our annual operation is about to begin (on Friday). Still no joy on the wireless issue posted here.

To reply to the suggestions offered above, we have several hand controllers and all but one of the original wire inserts that came with them. (The one we don't have failed physically a number of years ago.) None of the controllers work with the wireless set up and all of them work on any of the wire sets. The receiver antenna has been checked and rechecked numerous times and is definitely inserted correctly -- the last few times I've worked on this problem its' been with the receiver cover removed.

Thanks,

Terry

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For what it's worth, I tried the LGB wireless system about ten years ago with mixed results. I called LGB of America and even with their guidance by phone, i still had issues. I wound up selling it and did check with the new owner who had satisfactory results.

I also tried Aristocraft's wireless system which was just a wee bit better.

I looked at Bridgeworks equipment but by this time battery power was gaining ground.

All of this was a precursor to adopting battery power in 2010.