Very nice, but will it be affordable.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
If it's plastic, it'll be expensive.
If it's brass, it'll be VERY expensive...

Looks nice though! ;)

Jon.
I agree, a very interesting loco. A scratch built one appeared in The Gartenbahn magazine a few years ago. Cost could well be a factor. I would imagine it would be at least around the EUR2K mark if not more. I think I will have to start saving now.

Martin

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If it's plastic, it'll be expensive.
If it's brass, it'll be VERY expensive...

Looks nice though! ;)

Jon.
lgb posted on instagram the other day about it but the full post was edited very quickly to include less details the original post mentioned that it was going to be all metal and part of the professional range i.e. like the all metal croc etc.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
lgb posted on instagram the other day about it but the full post was edited very quickly to include less details the original post mentioned that it was going to be all metal and part of the professional range i.e. like the all metal croc etc.

So I was nearly right - it will be VERY VERY VERY expensive.... :eek:

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
At the risk of being stoned to death, probably by over-scale ballast! :eek:;)

Isn't it a little 'niche, within a niche'?

Perhaps, I will get tram-pled to death instead?
:blush::D

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it was affordable I would be tempted as the prototype was Metre Gauge and it was stored on the Harz at Ilfeld Shed for some years before returning to its home Town where it now stands in the Shed shown in post #1. Many moons back I posted a pic of it in here. But blowed if I can find it.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Sort-of a double Fairlie with railings? Two boilers and 2 fireboxes?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sort-of a double Fairlie with railings? Two boilers and 2 fireboxes?
Hm must check out my pictures on the amount of fire boxes, I did clamber all over it taking lots of pics.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here are 4 taken at Ilfeld, not fully conclusive but from the view with myself in front of it you can see that there is a boiler running through the cab so I am pretty sure that this being the drivers side there will be 2 fireboxes in true Double Fairlie style the other side. The pic of the inside is showingball the controls on top of the boilervin the cab, sadly I did not attempt a pic of the firebox. You can see from the coupling tube that it was most likely used to drag the beast from the shed and I would imagine that is how it was also moved around the line.
5F0F7E2D-55AC-408D-B045-E5ADF80F56CD.jpeg
578E6CC4-BB43-49E0-8747-A5E832E723D2.jpeg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Here are 4 taken at Ilfeld, not fully conclusive but from the view with myself in front of it you can see that there is a boiler running through the cab so I am pretty sure that this being the drivers side there will be 2 fireboxes in true Double Fairlie style the other side.
Yes there will be two inner fireboxes within a single outer firebox.
Initially the original Double Fairlie only had a single inner box and was a very poor steamer. Not only did the exhaust from one smokebox draw the hot fumes from the fire through the adjacent tubes but also the cold air from the other set of tubes. A double box also increased the heating area as the firebox "backs" were in contact with the boiler water.

I notice the German example has a regulator at each end. The driver can therefore drive from the front in either direction unlike the Ffestiniog examples. Sighting will be better for the driver possibly at the expense of communicating with the fireman.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes there will be two inner fireboxes within a single outer firebox.
Initially the original Double Fairlie only had a single inner box and was a very poor steamer. Not only did the exhaust from one smokebox draw the hot fumes from the fire through the adjacent tubes but also the cold air from the other set of tubes. A double box also increased the heating area as the firebox "backs" were in contact with the boiler water.

I notice the German example has a regulator at each end. The driver can therefore drive from the front in either direction unlike the Ffestiniog examples. Sighting will be better for the driver possibly at the expense of communicating with the fireman.
I have the small German book of this line “Die Rollbockbahn” written by EK-Verlag and published by EK in 1995. Looking at the book it appears that the roof was removed at some time in the 30’s. But from what I can see the loco was driven from the ’Cab’ in all periods so I guess there were 3 regulator levers at least, the front and rear ones being for precise driving during Rollbock shunting where precision is needed with the coupling bars and of course safety of the shunter. He needs to get between the loco and wagon to be able to place the coupling bar in place. The preserved one is a bit of a nomad having been placed on a plinth at Bhf Klingenthal (a short trek from its home territory)in 1967, presumably this was when it had the original roof features returned. At some stage it was moved to the Harz and now is owned Dresden Museum according to Wiki, I understand that it is at a Loco Shed and short length of track on its home line in Reichenbach.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
EVERYTHING is affordable if you have enough funds.

And BTW, the new LGB model is NOT A Fairlie - it is a Mayer - that is what the 'M' stands for. A Fairlie design has the firebox centrally positioned in a long boiler, and the cylinders pointing outwards at each end.
Sorry Tac it is a Fairlie. Look at the pics on this link.
The 3 locomotives of the Reichenbach/Vogtland - Oberheinsdiorf (in former East Germany) were built under Fairlie License by Hartman of Chemnitz in 1902.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Tac it is a Fairlie. Look at the pics on this link.
The 3 locomotives of the Reichenbach/Vogtland - Oberheinsdiorf (in former East Germany) were built under Fairlie License by Hartman of Chemnitz in 1902.
I stand corrected, thank you.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Latest Issue of Depesche, six pages of info.............

LGB Depesche Issue 1-2022.JPG

Scanned Pages LGB Depesche 1-2022.JPG

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
....and a picture of me standing in front of it at its home:

Wants01.jpg

Delivery of the LGB model in the announced Q2 does not give much time to accumulate funds............

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and no, I wasn't talking about Keith :devil: :devil: