LGB Stainzes converted to battery power

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having previously converted my Stainz to battery power and radio control using a trail car, I've now re-converted her so that the batteries and receiver are housed in the cab. This means she is now more versatile and can engage in shunting manoeuvres and run round her train when she reaches the terminus.

Hope you enjoy......

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
But, of course, why only convert one Stainz when you could convert two .....

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's always worth having one battery loco, it means you can get a train running a bit quicker and easier ( assuming you've charged the batteries)

And the stainz being such good runners make lovely shunting locos

Dan

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
That's certainly some load they are hauling.

David

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very nice job you did fitting both battery and receiver into the cab. The receiver appears to be smaller than the G Scale Graphics receiver. I couldn't see the batteries however. You must have really tucked them down tight to the floor.

Besides the GSG receiver, there is a battery conversion circuit board, about an inch square. The conversion I did last year to a Stainz was like getting 10 pounds of something into a five pound bag. Everything fit, but was a devil getting it there.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice conversions, Rik, especially as one still has the sound unit installed! As David says, the haulage capacity is impressive....
For the same voltage but higher capacity (= longer run time), one of these 2600mAh packs would probably fit in the space you have in a Stainz cab, and they have a protection board built-in so don't need an external one fitted.
http://www.rapidonline.com/ansmann-2447-3031-01-battery-pack-li-ion-3s1p-11-1v-2600mah-18-4124

Jon.
Hi Jon
They both have their soundcards but the second one in the duo sounds more like someone rubbing down paintwork with sandpaper. You can just make out both the sounds when they cross the viaduct in the second clip.

I think the Rapid packs use 18650 cells which are larger (hence the higher capacity). I did try fitting some 18650s but they were too large to lie flat on the floor - they would have had to be fitted vertically and hence would be more visible.
1-IMG_1461.JPG

Although the 14500 (AA sized) cells are only 900mAh, I ran one of the Stainzes continuously (while I was converting the other) and got 2h 40m at half speed (my usual running speed) pulling a train of two coaches and six wagons. Would be good to have that extra running time the 18650s would give me but 2h 40m is probably sufficient for a decent running session when I have three locos on the go and hence each only gets a proportion of the running time.

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Rik,
Brill conversion, but have you thought about coupling them back to back. Yes more work I know, but you would be representing a Prototype that existed in Yugoslavia. They had a sort of Stainz in pairs FR Fairlie Style. Two cabs and all with Ooen Backs to the Cab. Not at all practical and they were split very early on as not succesful that is not something that can be leveled at your super conversion. Pics pf them Joined are rarer than hens teath,mbut plenty can be found after the split.

http://www.angelfire.com/co3/drustvo/Cira/Cira.html

Look at 173-005
image.jpeg
If that is not a Stainz, it is pretty close.
JonD

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting conversion - gives me food for thought. I've always been impressed with the performance of the Stainz, it does seem to have a haulage capacity which belies its size (the double headed load really is impressive!) and slow running is good, its just the usual problem of track powered, short wheel-base locos stalling on point-work at shunting speeds.
BTW: I like the animated blackbird in the first video - just wonder if its a mite over-scale?:)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
BTW: I like the animated blackbird in the first video - just wonder if its a mite over-scale?:)
Blimey - you're eagle-eyed (or blackbird-eyed) - only just spotted that now you've alerted me to it.
I have three blackbirds which frequent the garden. One is now quite bold and hops along when I'm running trains and is quite persistent until I feed him. The robins this year seem more timid than in previous years. One still begs for food but is less insistent than the one which I took pictures of last year.

Rik

merlin

Model (all scales) & 12":1'
17 Jan 2013
Somerset (occasionally in Spain)
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, blackbirds and robins seem to enjoy the railway; perching on wagons and buildings and in the case of the blackbirds acting as gangers waling the line!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I just breezed through your blog on the Stainz conversion to battery power. I cringe when deciding to disassemble a Stainz. Not that I haven't done it, it's just the multitude of steps and deciding if my brain is up to memorizing the proper place to put all those pieces when it comes to reassembly.

You did an excellent job explaining every step.