LGB Shuttle unit

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
I was given an L G B shuttle unit the other day or I should say part's of it, being a complete nerd with anything to do with electric's I need a bit of help. The part I was given is the buffer stop with all the electric's inside what I would like to know is do I need special L G B track part's or will a couple of diode's do, if it is diode's will the one's that come with the gaugemaster set up do. If the above diodes wil be ok are they sold as a spare as I have lost one from the gaugemaster set up I already have or would Maplin's have some thing simular. Thankyou

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of diodes should be fine assuming its the analogue shuttle.
For 1 amp power supplies you could use 1 amp diodes, 1N4004 (Maplins QL76H) or similar, for 5 Amp supplies I suggest 6 A diodes, P600J (Maplins (UK61R) or equivalent.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I totally concur with Neil....could I do anything else?..... I just make sure that they are both on the same side of the track and pointing the same way!

Does this mean that there may be more than just the circle to be in action at your fine establishment Chris

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
And..... when testing it do so with locos of the same polarity. I spent a ages UTTERLY confused before realising my 44 tonner and my LGB stuff where set to different polaritys so making it behave oddly differently time!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i have the last unit-10340 i think
-upon which i base my info to you-it is the one with the decel/accel pot AND the wait time pot

the unit comes with 2 single side gapped half pieces of straight -there is a tapped screw thread on each side of the gap (in the web of of the rail) to which the black and white leads are connected using a small screw-these are not the typcial 1015 u or 1015k (cant recall which LGB number -but the supplied ones do not have the nicer plate on the top between the rails with the screw terminals-the supplied ones are very basic)
so please note -as for the unit i am describing-the last version -THERE ARE NO diodes used on the track -simply a gap in the track -the unit itself changes polarity-and the gaps are on opposite sides-and opposite ends of the length of travel

follow the above linked schematic to get this -there are two modes of available operation too described in the shuttle info

and
one thing i vaguely remember-(i had it set up before november-for about a week)
-is that i recall, it seems, that the engine/trolley must complete going from one end to the other in order to trigger the reverse -it seems that i recall that if this is interupted (or not completed) -the unit doesnt recognize that a loco is on the track-or it doesnt reverse-or something

so i think i would likey start the unit at one end rather than in the middle

i had great success using a .5 amp LGB starter pack for a simple trolley -simply set a top speed and off it goes-

sorry to be so vague (its the scotch fogged memory you know) but i though id let you know just so you dont think yours is faulty should this happen-

they are great units -a vast improvement over the originals and all those older versions with the jerk stop and reverse

one other thing-keep an eye on the decel and the appropriate length of track that you have-it is easy to run an engine into the end and it keeps running, right into the stop block

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Thankyou all for your answer's, and possable pit fall,s to look out for, thank's to Neil for Maplin part number' Mr Beavercreek layout a lot different to when you last saw it changed it all round last year but it turned out a complete ****'* up, was thinking of packing it all in ,In fact from May though to September I never touch the layout and only went to one garden meet Anyway that is all in the past and are now going full stream ahead(or i was till the snow came down now decorating indoor's instead) Will be in touch with the Essex group leader to sort out some open day's shortly So hope to see you round then

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
g scale with out mole is UNTHINKABLE:clap: