LGB Semaphore Signals for Digital

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the LGB signals such as 51920 and 51940 they seem to be designed for analog layouts. They include two sections of isolated track which is used for automatic stopping of the trains.

Am I correct in that those track sections are useless on an MTS layout?

Unless I go to the computer interface and more sophisticated automation, tt seems the only thing you can do with the signals is to manually activate them with the 55015 and a 55025 connected to the signal.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could activate them with Magnets (lgb 17010), Reed Switches (lgb 17100), LGB EPL Systems were all set for that in the old days and the parts are still available. I think that the Track Sections were for Isolation of a section using the Signal.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I assume from your question your layout is DCC. Some DCC accessory decoders like the massoth ones can be controlled by an external switch as well as conventional DCC commands so you could use a loco mounted magnet and track based reed switch to activate the point automatically without resort to computer automation.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Although I am MTS ( or DCC if you prefer), and switch points with both the Universal Remote and MTS PC software, I use analogue control for both semaphore and colour light signals.

I use the isolating tracks to feed power to them by using the LGB 11203 microswitch units attached to point motors. Although I could use the isolating tracks to cut power to the track as suggested in John's post, I find it easier to link the running rails together for continuous DCC power and just tap off the for the power to the signals.

It is a very simple way to interlock points with signals and works well enough for me....

Reactions: 1 user