LGB Rollwagens some more details and what I have done to use them.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg

Lgb Rollwagens have been around for a few months now. Stockers did an early review possibly being one of the first on the Forum to get his hands on them. This is the link to that thread

Saxon Rollwagen, LGB 49180. A review. - G Scale Central

I did some time back produce a run of 3 scratch built ones, my thread on these is here:-

Rollwagenzug - Another Roll Wagon Project - G Scale Central

Earlier still James Hilton built one for his line that I unashamedly copied many of his ideas into my scratched ones. His thread is here,:-

Roll-wagen project - G Scale Central

Sadly a lot of his pictures have disappeared into the ether.

Then of course LGB announced a run of them and we all got very excited. Justifiably in my view. I will try not to repeat in this thread of my experiences what has been shown before so if you think I have missed anything likely it has already been covered in Stockers Thread.

First a bit of prototypical knowledge. These are indeed Saxon Rollblocks, I am using them on my Harz Line but to be pedantic they are the wrong sort being based upon 8 Metre Long Vehicles whereas the Harz Metre Gauge ones are all 9 Metres Long. I can live with the discrepancy as I guess can many others in the world of LGB Elastic Rulers. The numbers are DR 97-05-42 and DR 97-05-28. I assume that this will be correct for a Saxon 750mm Gauge one. Indeed I have seen a very similar vehicle at Kurort Oybin on the Zittau System as seen in the picture below.

image.jpeg

Below is a pic of a Train with a Single Rollblock being hauled by a Harz Kamel at Eisefelder Talmhüle. A very model able Train for us G Scale types. Note alsonthe end if Train Marker (Red and White oblonged plate on the SG Wagon).

image.jpeg
This brings into view quite nicely the fact that wagons of Standard Gauge are loaded onto these Wagons. LGB very kindly provide some adapters to allow 45mm Wagons to be loaded and very effective they look as this picture of a bashed Playmobil Wagon on my line shows.

image.jpeg

However that was not for me and I have converted 4 Wagons for Rollwagon Service. I deliberately chose 2 Piko ones and 2 LGB ones that all come with 2 buffers so that they can more effectively reflect Standard Gauge Wagons. Again there will be discrepancy in size but again I have to live with that, at least to my eyes with 63mm Gauge (approx) wheels things do sit correctly on my Rollwagens. However just regauging the wheels created an issue or two in that due to the thickness of both LGB and Piko wheels the tightness of clearances caused running problems. Thus my Rollwagens have been hanging around awaiting time for a fix. That fix was to turn down the Wheels to much finer tolerances allowing the Bogies inside the frame of the Rolwagens to turn without fouling the wheel flanges. The two pictures below show a then and after turning situation.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

As has been mentioned the Coupling Bars are rather neat but the special one for coupling to a Loco has little use for me being reliant on the LGB Hook which I have dispensed with on all of my Locomotives. Fortunately my unashamed copies of James ones have worked just fine so they are used along with LGB LGB Coupling Bars intermediately. However on reviewing this Video of Poland with Bogie Vehicles on I noticed that the Rollwagens are coupled much close together.

Thus in addition to the ones that I have shown elsewhere yesterday I fabricated a much shorter one as seen below.

image.jpeg

Though the vid just above is perhaps not the best one showing short connection between 2 SG Wagons, I have seen shorter ones used between the 2 Rollwagens.

Below are 3 of the 4 Wagons that I use on my Rollwagens, the Bogie one is shown separately to reflect use of the Shorter Coupling Bar.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here is an interesting picture showing the overhang of the Bogie Wagon on R2 Curves before I fabricated the shorter bar. Though the effect would not be much change in this view.

image.jpeg

A few views of the set in service on my line.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Oops no end of Train Marker, go to the bottom of the class that Train Crew!image.jpeg

Finally a couple of staged pictures of my Scratch and LGB Wagons 7 all told now. Note the difference of not only length but height. I now know why my 3 Scratch Built ones were so unstable, not only the height but the lack of weight told against that futile Scratch Build. Still it was fun at the time

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
While summarising the Rollwagen models available, don't forget the ones from Modellbau Uwe that I purchased and reviewed a couple of years ago, well before either LGB or TL45 decided to do some.....

Rollwagens and standard-gauge loads from Modellbau Uwe.... - G Scale Central

The nice thing about these is that they can be bought (as I did) complete with standard gauge wagons to put on them, which are a mixture of handbuilds and heavily converted Newqida wagons.

Jon.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Your posts start to influence my next purchase decision...
JonD , you mentioned the overhang in R2 curves - I like it! Remember the Station Mügeln and it's sharp curve.
You just need a sound module to generate the flange squeal (min.13:30).

Andreas

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Your posts start to influence my next purchase decision...
JonD , you mentioned the overhang in R2 curves - I like it! Remember the Station Mügeln and it's sharp curve.
You just need a sound module to generate the flange squeal (min.13:30).

Andreas
The Sound equiped Trainline Locomotives with Zimo Decoders do indeed have the requisite squeal incorporated.

Reactions: 1 user

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I was thinking of building my own based on what Jon & James have done using brass curtain rails for sides to increase the low down weight, however My Mum would miss her curtain rails and seeing this and Stockers review, I think the LGB ones are the way to go....and cheaper!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Trains, Model railways, Photography, Land Rover's
26 Oct 2009
Somewhere cold and damp
Best answers
Country flag
Bit late to the party on this thread but hopefully this image will be of use.

A couple of ballast hoppers on rollwagens at Westentor a few weeks ago, showing them close coupled. They were being moved around the yard by the Kof a few minutes_CNH9042.JPG earlier.

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bit late to the party on this thread but hopefully this image will be of use.

A couple of ballast hoppers on rollwagens at Westentor a few weeks ago, showing them close coupled. They were being moved around the yard by the Kof a few minutesView attachment 245372 earlier.
Those look as if they are specially adapted for those ballast wagons, as there is a 'protector' plate against the ballast discharge chute :nerd::nerd:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Those look as if they are specially adapted for those ballast wagons, as there is a 'protector' plate against the ballast discharge chute :nerd::nerd:
Quite likely that is their only use these days, the only other odd time for noting Rollwagons in service is the Water Car that goes to the Broken and sundry carrying stuff about such as Track and the like.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they are the ballast wagons for the track works.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just a plate of steel fixed to the wagon

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just a plate of steel fixed to the wagon
Yeah, hinged and with chains, so when the stuff comes out of the standard gauge wagon, which is now riding a lot higher, the ballast is directed away from the rollwagen - cheap, simple and effective :rock::rock::rock:

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 244597

Lgb Rollwagens have been around for a few months now. Stockers did an early review possibly being one of the first on the Forum to get his hands on them. This is the link to that thread

Saxon Rollwagen, LGB 49180. A review. - G Scale Central

I did some time back produce a run of 3 scratch built ones, my thread on these is here:-

Rollwagenzug - Another Roll Wagon Project - G Scale Central

Earlier still James Hilton built one for his line that I unashamedly copied many of his ideas into my scratched ones. His thread is here,:-

Roll-wagen project - G Scale Central

Sadly a lot of his pictures have disappeared into the ether.

Then of course LGB announced a run of them and we all got very excited. Justifiably in my view. I will try not to repeat in this thread of my experiences what has been shown before so if you think I have missed anything likely it has already been covered in Stockers Thread.

First a bit of prototypical knowledge. These are indeed Saxon Rollblocks, I am using them on my Harz Line but to be pedantic they are the wrong sort being based upon 8 Metre Long Vehicles whereas the Harz Metre Gauge ones are all 9 Metres Long. I can live with the discrepancy as I guess can many others in the world of LGB Elastic Rulers. The numbers are DR 97-05-42 and DR 97-05-28. I assume that this will be correct for a Saxon 750mm Gauge one. Indeed I have seen a very similar vehicle at Kurort Oybin on the Zittau System as seen in the picture below.

View attachment 244598

Below is a pic of a Train with a Single Rollblock being hauled by a Harz Kamel at Eisefelder Talmhüle. A very model able Train for us G Scale types. Note alsonthe end if Train Marker (Red and White oblonged plate on the SG Wagon).

View attachment 244599
This brings into view quite nicely the fact that wagons of Standard Gauge are loaded onto these Wagons. LGB very kindly provide some adapters to allow 45mm Wagons to be loaded and very effective they look as this picture of a bashed Playmobil Wagon on my line shows.

View attachment 244600

However that was not for me and I have converted 4 Wagons for Rollwagon Service. I deliberately chose 2 Piko ones and 2 LGB ones that all come with 2 buffers so that they can more effectively reflect Standard Gauge Wagons. Again there will be discrepancy in size but again I have to live with that, at least to my eyes with 63mm Gauge (approx) wheels things do sit correctly on my Rollwagens. However just regauging the wheels created an issue or two in that due to the thickness of both LGB and Piko wheels the tightness of clearances caused running problems. Thus my Rollwagens have been hanging around awaiting time for a fix. That fix was to turn down the Wheels to much finer tolerances allowing the Bogies inside the frame of the Rolwagens to turn without fouling the wheel flanges. The two pictures below show a then and after turning situation.

View attachment 244601View attachment 244602

As has been mentioned the Coupling Bars are rather neat but the special one for coupling to a Loco has little use for me being reliant on the LGB Hook which I have dispensed with on all of my Locomotives. Fortunately my unashamed copies of James ones have worked just fine so they are used along with LGB LGB Coupling Bars intermediately. However on reviewing this Video of Poland with Bogie Vehicles on I noticed that the Rollwagens are coupled much close together.

Thus in addition to the ones that I have shown elsewhere yesterday I fabricated a much shorter one as seen below.

View attachment 244603

Though the vid just above is perhaps not the best one showing short connection between 2 SG Wagons, I have seen shorter ones used between the 2 Rollwagens.

Below are 3 of the 4 Wagons that I use on my Rollwagens, the Bogie one is shown separately to reflect use of the Shorter Coupling Bar.

View attachment 244604
View attachment 244614

Here is an interesting picture showing the overhang of the Bogie Wagon on R2 Curves before I fabricated the shorter bar. Though the effect would not be much change in this view.

View attachment 244608

A few views of the set in service on my line.

View attachment 244609View attachment 244610
Oops no end of Train Marker, go to the bottom of the class that Train Crew!View attachment 244611

Finally a couple of staged pictures of my Scratch and LGB Wagons 7 all told now. Note the difference of not only length but height. I now know why my 3 Scratch Built ones were so unstable, not only the height but the lack of weight told against that futile Scratch Build. Still it was fun at the time

View attachment 244613View attachment 244612
What was the purpose of the roll wagons?? I feel I should know this, but I am clueless!!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
What was the purpose of the roll wagons?? I feel I should know this, but I am clueless!!
For transporting wagons of a different gauge (see post No.6).

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
To amplify that a little Narrow Gauge lines have always been disadvantaged by having to transship goods from standard gauge wagons to narrow gauge ones and vic verc. The roll wagons and indeed roll blocks (which are just enhances bogies that a standard gauge sits on) are used to transport the goods to where it is required saving the transshipment. They were used extensively in Germany, Poland, and Switzerland amongst others. The Leek and Manifold 2’6” line in U.K. had roll wagons as well. Italy had a different concept and used to load standard gauge wagons on trailers and dump them on a siding at factories to be picked up later much in the same way as you would shunt a wagon to load or unload during the working day.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Tram Wuppertal Meter Gauge with "Rollwagen"

In this Movie you can see a "Rollbock" situation, on a tram route.They have used goods electric locos. At tbhe railway station, there was a ramp and they goods waggons run slowly onto the Rollbock carriages. Than the moved over the normal tram track to the factories and delivered the railway waggons.

It starts about 5.08 minutes in that (advertising DVD) movie.

You can see a green/beige work tram. That was only used at the factory (Vorwerk) and was owned by that company.
Peter

Last edited:

sclausd56

Registered
17 Feb 2021
Illinois
Best answers
Country flag
Tram Wuppertal Meter Gauge with "Rollwagen"

In this Movie you can see a "Rollbock" situation, on a tram route.They have used goods electric locos. At tbhe railway station, there was a ramp and they goods waggons run slowly onto the Rollbock carriages. Than the moved over the normal tram track to the factories and delivered the railway waggons.

It starts about 5.08 minutes in that (advertising DVD) movie.

You can see a green/beige work tram. That was onbly used at the factorie (Vorwerk) and was owned by that companie.
Peter
Thank you gentleman for the insight. Was thinking that May have been the purpose??