LGB Pullman coaches

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Are the LGB Pullman coaches any good please, they look great but seem to cost a lot when you can find any,

Does anybody know the length please as I have approx 12 foot on my loops so poss 4 + loco if I can find any,

I have seen various colours also ... ie .. All Blue/ Blue n White/ Red n White, I take it these are all the same just different colours for various lines,

I was thinking of the Orient Express train which has the Blue colours on them,

Many Thanks to all for any help.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
They are nice coaches but as you say, expensive!

Ralphmp had some for sale recently with a Mallet loco....

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
They are nice coaches but as you say, expensive!

Ralphmp had some for sale recently with a Mallet loco....
I have 2 of the red/cream ones up for sale at present. Going on eBay shortly if no takers.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
They are 66cm buffer to buffer and have lighting. They are commonly found as the modern 'Alpine Express' blue and cream as pulled by an RHB crocodile. Both the older issue and the more recent issue without the grunge roof edge. They also come as very dark blue and cream MOB 'Golden Mountain' who they were originally built for prior to being sold to the RHB not much after they were first delivered in 1931.
The green and cream RHB version were around during the war years. Apparently the Swiss generals rode in them. The Red and cream ones were funked up around the 70's. There are various versions of non prototypical 'Orient Express' (standard gauge) ones in all blue and I think there is even a brown and cream version too.
All much the same except some have rectangle windows and some have oval windows in the side doors. You can sometimes purchase the sides from sellers so you can do repaints to what you want rather than sourcing the entire car if you already have an incorrect version to your requirements. Yes, they are fairly expensive and not all are easy to find. :)

RhB - technical facts - Pullman cars

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have never been able to decide between the blue, or the brown?

Wasn't there a set which were more of a 'purple' (but could be confused with the blue, if bought in isolation)?
Possibly, Glacier Express?

I hankered after the cafe/restaurant insert that was available, but dithered too long and missed out on them.

PhilP

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have never been able to decide between the blue, or the brown?

Wasn't there a set which were more of a 'purple' (but could be confused with the blue, if bought in isolation)?
Possibly, Glacier Express?

I hankered after the cafe/restaurant insert that was available, but dithered too long and missed out on them.

PhilP

The original MOB Pullman sets were a very dark blue and cream. The blue gets a bit lost in a dark room.
LGB's red restaurant car is the modernised version appropriate for the red and cream sets. The original 'Mitropa' version plan is below. It has different window/door configuration. The image is a Magnus model of it. I think it ran with the green and cream versions of the cars in the early days.

RhB Mitropa Resteraunt Car.jpg

RhB Magnus Mitropa Resteraunt Car 01.jpg

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
There is also a 4 wheeled luggage coach, mainly in blue/cream I think. I have one but it has a tendency to de rail whilst running, it seems a bit ‘top heavy’ to me despite having metal wheels, was going to post a question about it on here some time ago , to see if anyone else has had the problem or found a solution for it, but ‘life’ got in the way.
Dave

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That (the red restaurant car) is a version I did not know about..

Having a senior moment:
The name has gone from my memory, but the (now closed) supplier near Peterborough carried an insert which consisted of a servery, and curved booths/seating areas..

I have never seen it offered anywhere else, and think someone on the Forum fitted one?
Gizzy comes to mind, for some reason?

I believe there is (was) a set of waiting-on figures available as well?

PhilP

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
There is also a 4 wheeled luggage coach, mainly in blue/cream I think. I have one but it has a tendency to de rail whilst running, it seems a bit ‘top heavy’ to me despite having metal wheels, was going to post a question about it on here some time ago , to see if anyone else has had the problem or found a solution for it, but ‘life’ got in the way.
Dave
I had one of those Dave. I glued a couple of Bachmann crates inside full of weights which did the trick. I sold it on as the livery didn't match my OE stock.

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Dave
I have the same issue, I’ve seen ones with a fair bit of weight added in the middle, I’ve also seen for sale ones that have been adapted by fitting lgb wagon bogies to each end, can’t comment on whether this helped or not,
sam

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Conversation started. Here's my old thread on the rolling stock. I have had several versions during my time - green and cream which I re-sided and re-liveried (sold the removed side to Paradise in Oz), still have my full OE train with factory issued baggage car and a home produced baggage car and restaurant, plus three brown and cream and three Golden Mountain Express.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Having a senior moment:
The name has gone from my memory, but the (now closed) supplier near Peterborough carried an insert which consisted of a servery, and curved booths/seating areas..

I have never seen it offered anywhere else, and think someone on the Forum fitted one?

PhilP

That is the original version from 1949. They were modernised with a change to windows/door and kitchen layout in 1975 which is what the LGB red version is. So if you are going green and cream, the early version it is! That is as much as I can work out. :think:

RhB - Technical facts - dining cars

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag

Having a senior moment:

PhilP
I can't be certain Phil, but I think I may have purchased one of those. I definitely haven't fitted it in a coach so it could be somewhere in one of my many boxes of 'I'll get round to it' jobs.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Conversation started. Here's my old thread on the rolling stock. I have had several versions during my time - green and cream which I re-sided and re-liveried (sold the removed side to Paradise in Oz), still have my full OE train with factory issued baggage car and a home produced baggage car and restaurant, plus three brown and cream and three Golden Mountain Express.

I still need one more to have the 4 car set!

• Sad

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Having a senior moment:

PhilP
Yes Phil,

I brought the last insert from Glendale Junction in their closing down sale.

Mine is fitted inside a LGB 3063 coach....

thumbnail_20221101_193840.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I had the brown Mallett set with 2 pullmans in the Brown n Creme livery, buying the single one in the same livery (

LGB 32650 Orient Express Salon Pullman Passenger Car)​

but I sold the loco and set but still have the one detailed above that I probably should get round to round to moving on at some stage.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Dave
I’ve had one of these for a while and to date haven’t experienced any running issues. However, it is a fairly recent version from LGB so maybe when they issued it they did something to rectify previous running issues?

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For the 4 wheel luggage van, you need to fit a Bernd Betz wheel control kit to "steer" the axles into a curve. Bernd make a version of his wheel control kit specifically for the luggage van.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
For the 4 wheel luggage van, you need to fit a Bernd Betz wheel control kit to "steer" the axles into a curve. Bernd make a version of his wheel control kit specifically for the luggage van.

View attachment 317066
Hmmmmm, wonder how difficult it would be to ‘Tinker’ a pivot bracket And 3D print it? Could probably use some stiff garden wire to link the two pivots together………..will have a think!………watch this space!
Dave

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmmm, wonder how difficult it would be to ‘Tinker’ a pivot bracket And 3D print it? Could probably use some stiff garden wire to link the two pivots together………..will have a think!………watch this space!
Dave
Be an interesting project, but I think the existing ones having a screw connection each end may allow some of the bogie 3 point suspension effect. Would be a shame to loose that and create a vehicle that derails at every opportunity.