LGB Prototypes

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
The December 5th 2009 auction of LGB's assets has thrown up some fascinating prototypes which are appearing on German EBay. As any links to EBay will disappear quickly, here are some pictures:

A rack-fitted 0-4-0 steam loco:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Here's an interesting 0-4-2T:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Finally, a "turbine loco", presumably intended to look like a 747 engine on wheels. The Ebay description states that the item is electrically powered (presumably a standard LGB motor block), but the turbine fan was battery powered with a switch in the cab.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:

An article on this loco appeared in Der Mittelpuffer magazine, issue 25. There were some photos of this loco & it appears to be the actual loco from the auction. I have a photo copy of the magazine but as its in German I can't quote any bits.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
I would have bought the 0-4-2T..... Interesting looking loco.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dutchelm said:
whatlep said:

An article on this loco appeared in Der Mittelpuffer magazine, issue 25. There were some photos of this loco & it appears to be the actual loco from the auction. I have a photo copy of the magazine but as its in German I can't quote any bits.
PM me for an ID to send a PDF file or similar and I'll translate for you!

By the way, before I could download pictures one other "Handmuster" item sold for many Euros: a Swedish Railways (SJ) railcar which looked like a rather streamlined version of the well-known 'pig nose' railbus.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
dutchelm said:
whatlep said:

PM me for an ID to send a PDF file or similar and I'll translate for you!

By the way, before I could download pictures one other "Handmuster" item sold for many Euros: a Swedish Railways (SJ) railcar which looked like a rather streamlined version of the well-known 'pig nose' railbus.

I'll post a copy & you can tell me what its all about. I would guess that LGB bought the kitbashed model as a prototype for future production

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Found another one. A sort of stretched pig nose railbus, making a bogie vehicle. Pity that this wasn't pursued. I would have been quite interested in something like this:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Another prototype has appeared on EBay.de. Basically a Stainz converted to a tram loco.

6986e92577214223bf8d7eb5723611ad.jpg

3f3df3e335984e8db527b1cbb3e31a17.jpg

20c00460b014426f9f0d8c7a28b31c37.jpg

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
cool post! I am sure someone has posted a real picture of that Stainz tram loco. Or i've seen it on the web in 1:1. I like the 0 4 2 too!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting Peter. I'd have been up for one of those 0-4-2's if it had gone into production.

Funnily enough, I was talking to someone at the West Mids GSS meet on Saturday who had shoe-horned Stainz running gear into one of the "standard" LGB trams like this -
c30a6feec2dc42948b42295b4c4c6229.jpg

Must admit, it got me thinking:thinking:.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
I built a Kasten Lok, earlier in the year using a Stainz chassis.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Mike will be envious- a genuine LGB Lococrane! Like it :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
brianthesnail96 said:
Mike will be envious- a genuine LGB Lococrane! Like it :)
mike is, mike watched it on evilbay.. wify tied mike up that day...:wits:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like they had the idea already in '92, although I can't think why they would want to make two similar tram locos. There again, they did with everything else.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Found another one. A sort of stretched pig nose railbus, making a bogie vehicle. Pity that this wasn't pursued. I would have been quite interested in something like this:

I am pretty sure that this is NOT an LGB Beastie, I got one of these a year or two ago from Ebay (Germany) complete with a Trailer. It does have LGB 2095 Bogie Components (2 of) but the body appears to be made of perspex with a cardboard body cut out badly glued on also badly. It does however look OK from normal viewing distance. The Trailer appears to be the same body on LGB Bogies but just painted to match the power car.

When I got it from Germany it was not Chipped. It has been fitted with Massoth Piglet Railcar Sound Chip and clatters nicely. It has however been somewhat camera shy on the Ruschbahn where it is in frequent service as the Branch Set to Carostadt. Annoying many operators as I insist it is not a Push me Pull You and has to be run round after each trip. The following picture is on my line.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Looks like the rack loco was well advanced, really interesting stuff to see how they did the proto stages, and how they tried to keep the tooling cost don by using the parts bin.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
whatlep said:

I am pretty sure that this is NOT an LGB Beastie, I got one of these a year or two ago from Ebay (Germany) complete with a Trailer.
(big snip)

Fascinating picture. Thanks very much for that. Your railbuses (railbi) look very like the "Handmuster" of the Swedish railbus offered on EBay which I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of. Possibly a real LGB pre-production item: possibly not. Guess until someone writes the definitive company history, we'll never know.

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
That streched pigginose / Schienenbus with the bogies looks like the model, Zeunert (Ex Publisher of the LGB Depesche) offered as a cardborad / wood kit some 25 - 30 years ago. LGB supplied a bag with the drive and some plastic parts.

It was long before the time I started with Large Scale. But I believe, it was not accepted too well by customers. People prefered plastic models at those times.

Have Fun

Otter 1 / Juergen

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Yet another "Handmuster" on EBay.de today. Most of these are being offered by the same guy, so worth watching his ID. This one is - to me - the most interesting yet. Just have a look at the third photo!

5a8a040d4a58410c95699001eeacfbd8.jpg

2fae3dee65b34255927073b9a852c401.jpg

4f2cbc529cbf4c6fa308554b20da276a.jpg