LGB points (turnouts) causing derailing issue.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all, I have a problem with a set of LGB 18150 points (radius 5, left hand manual point) in that any loco attempting to cross it is derailed. I've tried various weight locos and they all come to grief.
I've removed the offending points from the layout to have a closer look and found that the wheel flanges are 'bottoming out' when crossing the frog. The problem is worse when travelling from left
LGB points 1.jpg
to right. The biggest culprit is the mainline and to a lesser extent the turning. Before I strip it down does anyone have a cure or suggestion for this? The points are only a week or so old and purchased new. I really didn't expect this from LGB.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly have you checked it is level?

Those contact strips on the frog do look high, but difficult to tell from the angle of your photo.

My largest radius is R3, so I'm not familiar with these larger points....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing is that the point of the plastic frog can rise a little, this can cause serious pain. On the Ruschbahn where they were used extensively the solution was to put in a 10BA nut and bolt some 5 or so mm from the pointy bit. Have a look to see if they are rising some before you do this though once outside in the sun it is a likely problem for the future.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly have you checked it is level?

Those contact strips on the frog do look high, but difficult to tell from the angle of your photo.

My largest radius is R3, so I'm not familiar with these larger points....
Yes, it's currently sitting on the dining room table so it is level. I can also see daylight where the wheel is lifted as it passes over the frog.

Reactions: 1 user

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing is that the point of the plastic frog can rise a little, this can cause serious pain. On the Ruschbahn where they were used extensively the solution was to put in a 10BA nut and bolt some 5 or so mm from the pointy bit. Have a look to see if they are rising some before you do this though once outside in the sun it is a likely problem for the future.
Okay, thank you.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The moulding in the middle, the actual X bit looks dodgy. Is that where the wheels are scraping ?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Flanges are supposed to bottom out a little through the frog, so that metal loco wheels can pick up from the metal strips at the bottom of the flangeway.

Check the plastic V is properly screwed down (2 screws underneath)? I replaced the plastic V on mine with metal rail and disconnected the bridging wiring, turning the point into a live frog design requiring a polarity changeover switch for the frog. It improved slow running for short wheelbase skateless locos.

6_brass_frog_2.jpg

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
The moulding in the middle, the actual X bit looks dodgy. Is that where the wheels are scraping ?
The flanges are hitting the contact strips that are set into the ‘x‘ although thinking about it, maybe that’s how it should work to maintain electrical contact through the frog.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Flanges are supposed to bottom out a little through the frog, so that metal loco wheels can pick up from the metal strips at the bottom of the flangeway.

Check the plastic V is properly screwed down (2 screws underneath)? I replaced the plastic V on mine with metal rail and disconnected the bridging wiring, turning the point into a live frog design requiring a polarity changeover switch for the frog. It improved slow running for short wheelbase skateless locos.

View attachment 264993
Yes, I suddenly realised (while eating dinner) that the flanges should make some contact through the frog. I’ve checked the screws as suggested, nothing untoward there. Thank you.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
You might try non-permanent shims on the guard rails. I have had to shim some units as much as 35 thousandths, most about 10 to 15. LGB points (switches) seem to have an excessive side play at the frog, allowing the wheel flanges to wander where they shouldn't.
---Hutch
1587585067020.png

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Before doing anything I'd suggest going back to the seller with a polite complaint.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That thought had occurred to me but I also thought “how difficult would it be to disassemble it and have a look?”

Well, if you do that then go back to the seller the answer you get will be along the lines, "You've tampered with it and that must have caused it not to work".

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Gizzy, take a close look at the contact strips in the frog. The LGB metal wheel flanges are supposed to ride on the strips (so short wheelbase locos get power through the turnout) but if they were improperly installed they could be lifting the wheels too much. The wheels should just barely be raised going through the frog based on checking a LGB wagon with stock metal wheelsets on a new R5 switch I've got. I can only feel a very subtle "bump" as I roll the wagon through the frog. So check the frog molding itself too. It should smoothly raise the wheel flange. The flange shouldn't bang into it. There could possibly be some mold flash underneath the frog causing it to sit too high. If they look OK, try guard rail shims as suggested by Hutch.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB switch design is "flange bearing", the flange is SUPPOSED to ride on the metal strips. There are TWO things going on here:

1. By riding on the flange, electrical power pickup to the wheel is maintained through the frog, so you can have a plastic frog, and still short wheelbase locos will run.

I think this has been figured out, but it is not intended to be "some contact" or "ride a little" on those strips. This is because of reason number 2:

2. By riding on the flange, you can actually lift the tread somewhat off the "rail" even the plastic part. The idea is that given the much sloppier tolerances of the toy trains "idea", the throat of the frog is larger, more open. The net result is that without being supported by the flange, the more open throat of the frog would allow the wheels to "drop into" the frog.

There are prototype examples of "flange bearing frogs"...

So, if you are derailing AND the wheels are riding on the flanges through the frog AND the metal inserts have not become dislodged, everything should be ok.

If you have derailments then, you need to check wheel gauge, or at least back to back on your rolling stock. Another thing that can happen is if the flangeway widths on the stock rails (the outer 2 rails) are too wide, that needs to be controlled... often a shim can help as show in Hutch's post.

So my #1 recommendation is check the back to back gauge your cars (but if all derail the problem is most likely elsewhere).

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Finally some simple and good advice, from Greg....
Over the years, both Greg and I have seen rolling stock, "Brandy New/Out of The Box" that the wheel sets were out of gauge, to say nothing of rails being out of gauge. Most seem to fail to take this into account, and look everywhere else for the problems. This goes for products from virtually all manufacturers.
One thing every model railroader should have as a standard tool, is a track, and wheel gauge, and not a self made one....and use it on every wheelset, before the rolling stock is put into service.
Greg is also very correct in pointing out, that for wheels, the "Back-to-back" wheel gauge is the one you want.
One thing Aristocraft seemed to get right, was their simple wheel and track gauge...it was supposedly to NMRA standards. Too bad if using it on their equipment, it most often showed their wheels to be out of gauge, and their track was all over the place...!!!
Of course we run into the "What do we need STANDARDS for" group...….and all the common sense in the world will never convince them of the need for "Wheel and Track" standards...go figure....!!!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As Greg said check the back to back measurement of the wheels. It needs to be correct for the gaurd rails to guide the wheels through the frog properly.
Also, it might help if you specify some of the locomotives you have derailing.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Noting what has been said about the flange riding the metal to make contact, that was indeed part of the design as being of a larger radius the frog is longer and thus more of a challenge for smaller locomotives. Problem is outside that metal gets very tarnished and before each operating session on the Ruschbahn someone had to sand clean that metal with fine emery. No other option would be feasible, without that clean Corpets of which there were two running would not navigate the points at a sensible modest pace.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
First of all a big thank you to all who've responded to my question. When I first posted it I must admit I wasn't really au fait with the workings of the points and saw the flange riding up as a design fault! I only started with G scale late last year and I'm still close to the bottom of the learning curve.

I've taken your suggestions (all of them) on board and will persevere. I will get there in the end.
Thanks again.
Les

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
One question that has not been asked. What make of wheel are you running over the frog?

Reactions: 1 user