pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I have old 3-wire points, newer second hand 2-wire points and brand spanking new 2-wire points, they all did the same routine where they worked fine, then didn't throw completely, then fine again etc etc. I was literally pulling my hair out as well as picking up derailed and crashed trains. Took everything to bits and did all but chuck the lot in the bin, then I read about the capacity discharge unit, bought one cheap and plugged it on the end of the switch boxes and bingo!
To be honest I would get a unit before opening everything up (and losing little but vital bits). :D

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I've just stripped, cleaned and rebuilt one of the motors as per minimans pics and guide, and what a difference! the point definitely pulls to each side now. I've used a little lgb lube in there too, not much though as I don't want to attract any dirt.
Pugwash, I have a gaugemaster CDU knocking about somewhere from my old n gauge layout, could I use that through a reversing switch to give the required thwack? Do you think it would power two motors simultaneously, for a passing loop?
Thanks for all your help everyone, that sorted out the original problem, and such a simple fix!