LGB MTS

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
<strong><font size="3" face="comic sans ms,sand">If I wanted to do a small and simple indoor shelf type layout, which LGB MTS system should I look for?</font></strong>

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a small and simple layout , cheapest, possable the very early mts1 with the mouse, its incompatable with later mts systems though, best would be a mts2.. relitavly cheap second hand.,in my opion,as with a mts 2, you could use it on a a larger, railway, expanding the mts2, switch drives ,ect...so best value, a second hand mts2:)

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Madman - 16/11/2009 3:33 AM

<strong><font size="3" face="comic sans ms,sand">If I wanted to do a small and simple indoor shelf type layout, which LGB MTS system should I look for?</font></strong>

To build a little on Mike's answer...

The original MTS1 system will do absolutely fine for an ultra simple layout. You will be limited to 8 locos (Either all 8 digital, or 7 digital, plus 1 analogue) on the layout simultaneously, though that may not be an issue. MTS2/3 permit up to 23 (of which 1 analogue).

You will be able to use LGB wireless controls and all the other MTS equipment (point modules/ reversing loops etc) with an MTS1 central station. I did so for the past 10 years, only upgrading to MTS3 (bypassing MTS2) this year.

There are two downsides to getting an MTS1 system. First, if someone brings a loco to you with a DCC address higher than 8, it will need to be re-addressed before it can run on your layout. That was the main reason I upgraded to MTS3 in the end: MTS1 was still working fine for me on my own! Second, the hand controller (mouse) which comes with the MTS1 set can only be used with MTS1&2. It can't be attached to the MTS3 central station.

However, if you get as far as wanting MTS3, you'll probably have got the bug big time and want to evaluate more widely what's available at that time. Bearing in mind that technology develops pretty steadily, going in with an MTS1 as a bargain basement item may not be a bad idea.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss offline, or bounce your ideas around here if you want, for the benefit of other DCC/MTS newbies.

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
<p>:thinking: <a href="thread-view.asp?tid=702&posts=1&start=1">http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=702&posts=1&start=1</a> ;)</p><p> Not an LGB MTS system, but a DCC control system that will work and is inexpensive for a small layout :clap: </p>

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
<p><font size="3" face="comic sans ms,sand">Thank you. I have been avoiding the MTS system for my garden railway. Mostly because I don't feel comfortable with the technology, and also spending more money on an upgrade. besides, I like to let the outdoor trains run themselves. Therefore, I am not entirely familiar with the workings of MTS. With the MTS1 system, does each locomotive need to have a decoder installed in it? </font></p>

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Madman - 18/11/2009 1:58 AM

With  the MTS1 system, does each locomotive need to have a decoder installed in it?

Yes. This is true of every DCC system, no matter whose you choose.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Madman - 18/11/2009 1:58 AM <p><font size="3" face="comic sans ms,sand">Thank you. I have been avoiding the MTS system for my garden railway. Mostly because I don't feel comfortable with the technology, and also spending more money on an upgrade. besides, I like to let the outdoor trains run themselves. Therefore, I am not entirely familiar with the workings of MTS. With the MTS1 system, does each locomotive need to have a decoder installed in it? </font></p><p>
</p><p>For a couple of years I felt the same. The layout was big enough for me to run 4 trains on analogue with some juggling of loads and the occasional "re-set" to enable adequate spacing but, I was warned that i would eventually succiub to digital and I have.</p><p>I can recommend it! :applause: However, there is no way that I can justify fitting decoders into all the locos. I will have to be selective.</p>

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
But ASH I always fit Lenz decoders in all locos I DO want sound in, or might want it in the future when I can afford it. It is a simple matter to add sound to Lenz decoders via the prefitted SUSI interface. There is very little difference in the total cost, if anything going the SUSI route is slightly cheaper.