LGB Mogul sound board

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I've just bought a original 2019s Mogul, seems to have had very little use and is in good condition, I suspect it has been stored in it's box for a number of years.

Happy with the purchase at the price I paid but there is a problem with the sound board. Having put the 9v battery in I can get standing air pump noise and sometimes a single whistle when moving off but not every time, there is no chuff, bell or whistle from the reed switches etc.
I've checked continuity of the wiring, reed switches make a circuit when the magnet is held by them and no obvious damage to the boards.
These 2019s models date the late eighty's/early nineties and I have read that these sound boards do fail over time but just asking if anyone has had a similar experience and found a fix.

Failing that what do people replace these boards with? I run analogue DC on my line.

Circuit board 1.jpg

Circuit board 2.jpg

2019s pic2.jpg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It could be a CV setting?
DCC allows you to set what is, and isn't, 'on' when running analogue..
It could be you need someone to look at how the CV's are set.

PhilP

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Failing that what do people replace these boards with? I run analogue DC on my line.

The most common solution is to fit a sound equipped DCC decoder. If done correctly you will still get sound effects in straight DC operation. The ~30+ year old analog sound boards from LGB are pretty much unserviceable nowadays.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
With an MLS and a TV remote all the sounds will be available, USA whistles and other sounds all easily configurable using the remote.

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

I'll look at the MLS option in due course, not a great lover of sounds anyway so may just leave it 'as is', the loco runs well and is in good condition so having given it a clean and re grease I'm going to enjoy it !

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

I'll look at the MLS option in due course, not a great lover of sounds anyway so may just leave it 'as is', the loco runs well and is in good condition so having given it a clean and re grease I'm going to enjoy it !
alcashj94 - There are a couple other options you can consider for that old analog sound board that's kaput. You don't have to remove the existing main board from your Mogul and replace it with a DCC sound decoder which can also operate on DC analog power. Instead, you can just replace the sound board in the tender with either an LGB 65003 American Steam Sound Module that only requires connection to track power to work. It's also a DCC sound board but can operate also on DC analog. This is the option I'd recommend over the other similar option, a Massoth S DC/DCC sound decoder (sound only like the LGB module) that also only requires connection to track power input. For the LGB Module, you'll need to adjust some of the CVs using either a DCC system or PC Programming Module to get the chuffs in sync with the Mogul's wheels' revolutions. Below is a photo of the way I install the LGB Modules into customer's LGB Mogul Tenders.....remove the board from the small black case and connect it to a Massoth 70mm speaker I install into the tender for super quality sound results. For best results, you should also install the LGB 65011 Power Caps that provide power to the sound board when operating at slow speed........all decoder boards require about 7 - 9 volts DC analog power to initially activate.

By the way, you should turn your Mogul upside down and remove the motor block cover and inspect the grease on the wheels gears and idler gears. Your LGB 2019S was produced by the original LGB company during 1988 - 1997, that's a long time ago! After many years of use or even just sitting, the gear grease can either dissiplate or solidify to produce no lubrication which may damage and require replacement of the idler gears.
LGB Sound Board Install - Mogul Tender.jpg

Last edited:

alcashj94

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your solution Thomas, it's another possibility if I decide I want sound.
Yes, I've cleaned all the old grease out and applied new, as you say the old had gone hard and wasn't going to be doing much good!

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would repair the cable between the engine and tender as the chuff sensor is on the engine rear axle and power, ground and sensor output all go through this cable. The other 3 pins are 2 for track power and 1 for the coal tender rear light.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've just bought a original 2019s Mogul, seems to have had very little use and is in good condition, I suspect it has been stored in it's box for a number of years.

Happy with the purchase at the price I paid but there is a problem with the sound board. Having put the 9v battery in I can get standing air pump noise and sometimes a single whistle when moving off but not every time, there is no chuff, bell or whistle from the reed switches etc.
I've checked continuity of the wiring, reed switches make a circuit when the magnet is held by them and no obvious damage to the boards.
These 2019s models date the late eighty's/early nineties and I have read that these sound boards do fail over time but just asking if anyone has had a similar experience and found a fix.

View attachment 310613

View attachment 310614

View attachment 310615
Dan's post is important for the chuff sound issue. Make sure you're getting the signals for the chuff inputs to the sound board from the Mogul's 6-pin connector cable to the tender. Some of the cable's wires may break after prolonged use by pushing and pulling the cable connector into the tender's socket. If the reed switch is okay (no broken glass reeds inside), and you're not getting the whistle and bell to activate with a magnet, then it's likely the board is failing. You can sometimes find used replacement sound boards on eBay.

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say the easiest option would be to replace the unit with a MyLocoSound card.
They can be connected straight to the Track power pick ups. (A 9Volt rechargeable NiMH battery is recomended for stationary sounds)
And you can use a suitable universal TV remove to adjust all the settings, and run/play the sounds while in motion.

The only downside to these cards is the lack of a physical 'Main' volume switch, which it really needs despite what Peter says.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The only downside to these cards is the lack of a physical 'Main' volume switch, which it really needs despite what Peter says.
I agree!

A physical volume control, and in a perfect world, a way to turn the sound 'off'. - Both without the use of the remote.

PhilP