LGB MFX Sound Equipped Locos

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have a digital MTS2, parallel function layout. All my locos are either LGB Onboard decoders, with original sound, or Massoth XLS conversions. All of which, naturally, work very well on MTS2.

I have heard rumours that the new MFX sound does not work well, or at least does not have full functionality, on MTS2 systems. Is this correct, and do the same MFX limitations apply on a DiMax controlled system?

Does anyone have experience of running MFX on MTS2, or DiMax, that can throw some light on this topic? Thanks.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I have a digital MTS2, parallel function layout. All my locos are either LGB Onboard decoders, with original sound, or Massoth XLS conversions. All of which, naturally, work very well on MTS2.

I have heard rumours that the new MFX sound does not work well, or at least does not have full functionality, on MTS2 systems. Is this correct, and do the same MFX limitations apply on a DiMax controlled system?

Does anyone have experience of running MFX on MTS2, or DiMax, that can throw some light on this topic? Thanks.
Unfortunately the MTS2 is not compatible with MFX. This was the main reason I changed from the MTS2 Central Station to the Maerklin CS2. MFX will work on a DIMax controlled system but I would avoid using an MTS3/DIMax setup.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Not really sure what you are asking. As MTheStrong says you can't get any MFX features such as auto registration to work on any DCC only system. However if you mean can I run an LGB MFX equipped loco on a DCC system then the answer is yes, you just program the decoder to work on DCC and forget about MFX entirely.

My experience is that LGB engines with the latest MFX decoders work just fine on DCC, including the sound features, when switched to just work on DCC.

Halcyon

Registered
9 Mar 2016
Northern Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Not really sure what you are asking. As MTheStrong says you can't get any MFX features such as auto registration to work on any DCC only system. However if you mean can I run an LGB MFX equipped loco on a DCC system then the answer is yes, you just program the decoder to work on DCC and forget about MFX entirely.

My experience is that LGB engines with the latest MFX decoders work just fine on DCC, including the sound features, when switched to just work on DCC.
Thanks Cliff, I am asking what the various sound functions of an MFX equipped loco work like on MTS2. Can you play all the various sounds using function buttons 0 to 9, and does this give access to all the MFX sounds or only some of them?

I had assumed that control of the motor on MTS2 was not a problem, but had heard that the sounds on an MFX equipped loco don’t work well (fully) on an MTS2 system. So are you saying an MFX loco’s.sound system will fully function on MTS2, in as good a fashion as my LGB Onboard and Massoth XLS locos?

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Cliff, I am asking what the various sound functions of an MFX equipped loco work like on MTS2. Can you play all the various sounds using function buttons 0 to 9, and does this give access to all the MFX sounds or only some of them?

I had assumed that control of the motor on MTS2 was not a problem, but had heard that the sounds on an MFX equipped loco don’t work well (fully) on an MTS2 system. So are you saying an MFX loco’s.sound system will fully function on MTS2, in as good a fashion as my LGB Onboard and Massoth XLS locos?
I think that the most important point to note is that the MTS2 is limited to 14 speed steps. The MFX decoder will need to be programmed to run on 14 steps. When I tried this on my MTS2 system I had problems with the Function Keys. MTS 2 cannot access the full range of MFX functions.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the most important point to note is that the MTS2 is limited to 14 speed steps. The MFX decoder will need to be programmed to run on 14 steps.

Agreed

MTS 2 cannot access the full range of MFX functions.

True, but that is no different to the Massoth XLS decoder and also some of the more modem LGB DCC decoders. I'm pretty sure you can move the sound functions around so that your favourite ones are within the range of MTS2.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed

True, but that is no different to the Massoth XLS decoder and also some of the more modem LGB DCC decoders. I'm pretty sure you can move the sound functions around so that your favourite ones are within the range of MTS2.
Thanks Cliff, I suppose the issue will be how confident and capable Halcyon is in programming the MFX decoders.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
? Does the system support 14 speed steps ?

Rings an alarm bell, I think... ??????

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
The manual for my LGB 24741 clearly states that "14 or 28/128 speed levels can be set", and moreover the corresponding bit is listed in the description of CV 29. I think it will work, however I can't in all honestly say that running with 14 speed steps is something I have actually tried.