LGB MFX Decoder PROGRAMMING LOCK?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know if the LGB MFX equipped locomotives have a CV programming lock? The reason I want to know is I have an LGB MFX locomotive that is factory equiped with a Massoth Round Boiler pulsed smoke unit. I want to change some settings in the pulsed smoke unit and don't want to comunicate with the MFX decoder.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think they have. Also I think the pulsed smoke unit is connected to the motor decoder directly possibly using SUSI. I am not 100% sure on this as I have had three LGB locos with factory fitted sound and pulsed smoke (Saxon 1K, Saxon VIK and Rugen 0-6-0 with tender) and in all cases I never found an option to program the pulsed smoke generator independently, or had the nerve to take them apart. If I changed the loco motor address the smoke generator still worked on the new address which is why I think it may not have its own independent decoder. Sorry not to be definitive. Which loco do you have?

EDIT: you might want to look at this thread which is related:

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think they have. Also I think the pulsed smoke unit is connected to the motor decoder directly possibly using SUSI. I am not 100% sure on this as I have had three LGB locos with factory fitted sound and pulsed smoke (Saxon 1K, Saxon VIK and Rugen 0-6-0 with tender) and in all cases I never found an option to program the pulsed smoke generator independently, or had the nerve to take them apart. If I changed the loco motor address the smoke generator still worked on the new address which is why I think it may not have its own independent decoder. Sorry not to be definitive. Which loco do you have?

EDIT: you might want to look at this thread which is related:
LGB 20184 "Franzburg". It has the newer Massoth Round Boiler smoke unit which has it's own built in decoder which does have a programming lock. There really is no problem with it but I would like to adjust the pulsed smoke to puff once every wheel rotation. Currently it puffs twice, once for every 1/2 rotation which is probably prototypical for this locomotive. If you run it any more than a crawl, the smoke puffs become so rapid, it sends more of a steady stream of smoke rather then the puffing effect. Not really a problem but that is the beauty of DCC. If you don't like something, change it to what you prefer.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 20184 "Franzburg". It has the newer Massoth Round Boiler smoke unit which has it's own built in decoder which does have a programming lock. There really is no problem with it but I would like to adjust the pulsed smoke to puff once every wheel rotation. Currently it puffs twice, once for every 1/2 rotation which is probably prototypical for this locomotive. If you run it any more than a crawl, the smoke puffs become so rapid, it sends more of a steady stream of smoke rather then the puffing effect. Not really a problem but that is the beauty of DCC. If you don't like something, change it to what you prefer.
Hi - I've repaired a customer's LGB 26844 Meyer Mallet Steam Locomotive with mfx/dcc and pulsed smoker. I had to order through Marklin USA to Marklin Germany a replacement sound board. After I installed the new board I discovered the smoke unit was also defective but I couldn't get a new Massoth pulsed smoker to work.......it has a different wiring configuration than regular Massoth smokers, e.g., 3-wire Susi instead of 4-wire Susi. So I then had to order a replacement Massoth smoker from Marklin.

I also think the CV configuration is different on the Marklin-used Massoth smokers than the regular Massoth pulsed smokers. On the Marklin-used smokers for their LGB diesel locomotives, the CVs are 800 - 900 series. So, I'd suggest you contact Marklin Germany Customer Service to get assistance on the process for changing the CV settings on the smoker.

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Tom, I read your post thanks to Dave M. Excellent information. Thank you for taking the time to update your posting and also reaching out to me on this post. I also want to thank Dave M. for being so quick to answer. It's people like yourselves that help keep the Hobby and this Forum alive. I have decided to leave the settings alone for know. Thanks again.