LGB Mallet

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

I've put a Massoth XL decoder into a LGB Mallet #22852 as per instructions here but im having problems getting it to work !,

The loco will not respond to #3 on the navigator which seems odd so I've obviously done something wrong, all the loco does is crawl forward making its sounds but it will not stop.
I've checked that all the wires are in the right places including the LGB interface cable wires .. all OK, The dip switches have all been moved over as instructions,
A photo of the attached decoder/wiring is here .....

20240522_160106.jpg
Any ideas please ? Many thanks to all for any help.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have you done anything else? - Had the motor-blocks / motors out, at all?

Firstly, I would check that both sets of wheels are rotating in the same direction.

Examine where you have two wires into a decoder connection. - Easy to get a whisker of wire shorting between to connections.

Unplug the 6-way connector, see if it runs..

Unplug each motor-block, and see if it runs with either. - better done on rollers, or blocks.

Was the loco running OK before you attempted to fit the decoder?

Can you read CV1? - What value does it return?

Can you read CV29? - What value does it return?

Report back..

PhilP

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip,

I haven't touched the loco except to put the decoder in and was working ok before.

I removed the decoder and know I its got worse as there is a burning smell coming from the loco without the decoder in, the sounds are still there but it smells like burning but I cannot see anything !

cheers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip,

I haven't touched the loco except to put the decoder in and was working ok before.

I removed the decoder and know I its got worse as there is a burning smell coming from the loco without the decoder in, the sounds are still there but it smells like burning but I cannot see anything !

cheers
Hm Dip Switches?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could the burning smell be the smoke unit?

Unplugging the 6-way, the track and motor leads, and returning the DIP switches to 'on', should revert the loco to analogue.

If you have done nothing else, then there is a fault, possibly a stray bit of wire, or something has failed on the original boards.

PhilP

Jimbotrain

Registered
13 Sep 2022
great Yarmouth
Best answers
Country flag
Following problems with the LGB decoder I intend to fit a Massoth unit in my Mallet, Can you advise which thread you followed please

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Not really looking at following any threads as pretty straightforward to change thats untill I get something wrong ... lol