LGB LOCO - Can you tell if it has a smoke generator

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Hi,

I am looking to buy a LGB STAINZ second hand and it has the reference 20212 and it is a No 2 loco. It has sound but unsure if it has a smoke generator and seller is unable to advise.

If this loco has sound is it likely to have smoke as well? In this type of loco with a smoke generator does it have an "on/off" switch for the smoke?

Any info gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Dave

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A quick Google suggest that it does have smoke, but to be sure, ask the seller to take the top grate off the chimney and he should see a brass element inside it....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Just be aware that the standard smoke gene's in these Stainz only work (at least on analogue) if the loco is doing about 75mph.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Just be aware that the standard smoke gene's in these Stainz only work (at least on analogue) if the loco is doing about 75mph.
That's true enough? I've only ever seen one smoke when Steve is driving, :happy: and BTW, there is no ON/OFF switch; the element is on all the time....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well depends -on this model it would be

but not on the older ones-with the pivoting underside contact bar

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
That would be the motor going up in smoke! :rofl:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Stainz locomotive 20212 have both smoke and sound. Smoke on permanently. They have to run at high voltage to get the smoke unit to activate. Good luck with the purchase.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you run it on Train Engineer, use the PWC setting, the smoke should work at a lower voltage. But I do not do Euro and not sure if the Stainz has a normal can motor or not. PWC is fine for analogue can motors. Of course the sound unit is probably analogue as well so should be fine.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
If you run it on Train Engineer, use the PWC setting, the smoke should work at a lower voltage. But I do not do Euro and not sure if the Stainz has a normal can motor or not. PWC is fine for analogue can motors. Of course the sound unit is probably analogue as well so should be fine.

I choose to differ regarding the last sentence only.
PWC is not recommended for many electronic gizmos and Aristo cover themselves in their instructions by stating that PWC should only be used with their locos.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil
I bow to your knowledge.
I use PWC with my Aristo, USA Trains, Bachmann, LGB 0-4-0 diesel switcher and Accucraft with no probs. I have used it (infrequently and accidentally) with the Sumpter Valley and Uintah mallet and there seems to be no problem. But I must admit I have a sound card or a loco with MTS on board then I will try to remember to only use linear only although Soundtraxx and Phoenix sound cards seem unaffected by PWC. Perhaps I have been lucky

Daniel Collett

New to the choo choo
29 Dec 2019
Dorset, England
Best answers
Stainz locomotive 20212 have both smoke and sound. Smoke on permanently. They have to run at high voltage to get the smoke unit to activate. Good luck with the purchase.
Hi all new to forum and just purchased a Stainz 20212. From the replacement parts pics I have seen, mine looks like it has the brass tube under the grill. It deffo has speaker in cab roof. So in theory this Should be the low voltage smoke gen system?!?! I have nothing else yet, (track nor transformer) so any entry level reconditions to get smoke going?
thanks
Dan