LGB K-28 DCC decoder install

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks,
Riding high on the successful installation of my decoder and R/C to my Accucraft K-27, I feel ready to move on to my precious LGB K-28.
I was thinking of using the 55026 interface cable and instllling the Zimo 699KS decoder, speaker, receiver and batteries in the tender.
I came across this switch and recall someone saying they had to be turned off? Is this correct? Thanks for any advice!
Ps..I didn’t want to strip out the board as I would like to keep the loco as original as possible, but if needs be I can do that.
C5128742-CCBD-498C-8D7B-3C0750A7C80A.jpeg861EE262-36F8-4853-BD58-8BBC1716A8CB.jpeg267F3956-DF30-47E2-B0F7-5FE041E5F411.jpeg

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg,
I’m using a Revolution DCC 5A receiver.
Richard

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richard
I did an ESU sound decoder fit into my K28 a few years ago (but not RC).
I have the LGB/Astor build diagrams as a pdf if you would like them. They show the wiring and the LGB board

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty sure you turn off all the switches, the switches connect the track pickups to the motors, turning them off separates them (needed for DCC)

There are some LGB experts here too.

I'd like to see that pdf too...

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richard
I did an ESU sound decoder fit into my K28 a few years ago (but not RC).
I have the LGB/Astor build diagrams as a pdf if you would like them. They show the wiring and the LGB board
Hi Mike,
The diagram(s) would be much appreciated thank you.
Looking at the instruction diagram/manual for my decoder, it looks like a reasonably straightforward job to remove the LGB board and fit the decoder in its place, using the 5v terminal provided. I was amazed how much room there is in there! Considering the quality of the build, I was surprised to find nylon gear wheels on the axles...I remember the problems I had with my Heljan locos....
Richard

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty sure you turn off all the switches, the switches connect the track pickups to the motors, turning them off separates them (needed for DCC)

There are some LGB experts here too.

I'd like to see that pdf too...

Greg
Thanks Greg,
As I said, I may just remove the board and use the space for the decoder.
Richard

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you can fit the decoder without removing the main board that would be my recommendation.

Wot Greg say's..

The OEM board will take care of voltages and distribution for the lights, is a 'simple' plug-in job, and is reversible should you choose to sell the loco in the future.

PhilP.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Latest update....
I decided to remove the LGB board and tucked the redundant pick up leads back in to the boiler. With so much space now available, I installed the Visiton FRS 7 speaker in to the fire box and the decoder into the vacated space left by the PCB removal. This has saved cutting a speaker hole into the tender, which will now only house the batteries and receiver. On test, the sound is awesome :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
FRS7 is my normal "go to" speaker (they are in the fuel tanks, FRS3 in the roof)

assembly_line.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Normal rule of thumb with those Dips is that they should all be ‘OFF’. If not nasty things can happen to the Devoder.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Normal rule of thumb with those Dips is that they should all be ‘OFF’. If not nasty things can happen to the Devoder.
Thanks for your info, in the end, I decided to remove the board and wire everything through the decoder.
I have put the board aside and kept the loco wiring intact in case a future purchaser wishes to revert to track power.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your info, in the end, I decided to remove the board and wire everything through the decoder.
I have put the board aside and kept the loco wiring intact in case a future purchaser wishes to revert to track power.
I wanted to ensure that the Dips issue is mentioned in this thread as it is often overlooked.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB switches are always on for DC and off for DCC. Be careful as some engines have more than one set of switches but only one is for DC/DCC configurations and single motor units use a 4 pin dip switch.
The ribbon cable shown is for function keys, V+ and ground.

JerryP

Registered
10 Apr 2020
FL
www.tuckerstrainsupply.com
Best answers
Country flag
Beavercreek, is the offer still open for the K-28 diagrams? Just got one myself and plan on putting in a TSU-4400 along with firebox glow and a few other upgrades. Thanks!