LGB Heidi Sound problem

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
I am having a problem with the Heidi. Sound was working OK but has now stopped. Decoder is OK and motor control is fine.

It all went wrong when I changed the short address from 19 to 11. After that the sound disappeared and no amount of looking at the CVs has figured out why. What I don't know is which CVs will tell me if the sound is OK or not.

Found a list of CVs here

G 3/4 RhB Heidi eMOTION Sounddecoder | manualzz.com

Do both boards have an address and is it possible the two have got out of sync with each other?
Is there a reset to default command via CV7 with this board combination?

Two boards in the loco and factory fitted. Board speaker attached is smaller than power board. Reports as Manufacturer 123 (Massoth) Type 35 on JMRI.

One thing I have also had was a problem with is the volume control not working - seemed to be full volume all the time. I have tried another volume control potentiometer but to no avail.

Any assistance from the wise collective would be appreciated.

Martin

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Well the sound is back. Switch in the cab in the wrong position so the only issue now is why the volume is at max full time? Sound like I have the real thing in the house. SWMBO is not impressed any more.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Well the sound is back. Switch in the cab in the wrong position so the only issue now is why the volume is at max full time? Sound like I have the real thing in the house. SWMBO is not impressed any more.

Check CV 200. In many Massoth sound decoders this needs to be set to 255 if you have an external control. If that fails check the potentiometer and its connections are in good condition.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Also,
90% of volume controls on decoders end-up working the wrong way round!
Try turning it the other way??

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Guys,

Thanks for getting back - all useful.

I had tried CV200 but this decoder does not seem to comply with any of the norms. I tried 200 and it is alway 000.
With no info about the decoder the volume control I had as a spare one that had the same colours as another cable plugged into the sound board. I assumed this to be the volume. Think it is the rotation sensor. This seemed to trigger a sound when the pot was turned so I then did a bit more tracing of cables only to find I was in the wrong socket. The volume control had 3 black wires whilst the spare I had is black brown black. Plugged in the pot and hay presto volume control. Swapped it back to the fitted control and it still worked fine. Can only think it was a dirty connection. So happy days all problems solved.

Every day is a learning experience.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If the sound is from a Massoth S sound only decoder and motion is from another motor and lights decoder like Massoth L then you need to be able to program them individually, unless they are connected via SUSI cable.

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
If the sound is from a Massoth S sound only decoder and motion is from another motor and lights decoder like Massoth L then you need to be able to program them individually, unless they are connected via SUSI cable.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have the sound working now. Turned out to be a simple thing - switch in the cab not in the correct position. I have never completely understood exactly what the switch in the cab actually does. I know one position turn the sound off now!!!!

The next thing I am trying to do is improve the smoke performance. I want to fit a 24v smoke generator but know that I cannot simply connect it to the smoke terminals. Currently, it uses a 5V smoke generator. My intention was to fit a relay on the existing smoke output from the decoder and then switch the track voltage direct to the smoker. However, I am sure the output is modulated and although I can turn an LED on and off it will not control a relay. What I am struggling to find is any information about being able to modify the smoke output from the board.

I am going to post a new thread about this to stop any confusion of the subject.

Martin

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Dave,

I have never completely understood exactly what the switch in the cab actually does. I know one position turn the sound off now!!!!

Martin
Depending on the age of the loco and the provision of sound there may be a three or four position slide switch in the cab labelled 0 to 2 or 0 to 3
0 is all off, 1 is lights and smoke on, 3 lights, smoke and motor on and 4 lights, smoke, motor and sound on.
On some DCC fitted locos the switch doesn't function depending on how the decoder was fitted.
Personally I was disappointed that there was no position that allowed running with the smoke unit switched off. I know LGB claimed that the unit could be run dry but sometimes, if I could find room, I fitted an extra switch to preserve the life of the smoke unit