Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Re: LGB Harz 2-6-2

<p>ah-ha - that's not a bad idea, grabbing the original GSM post as a doc and attaching it here! Took me a few moments to spot the attachment though - I first assumed you were still in the process of adding the stream of posts. I guess the only downside is it requires the reader to have Office, Open Office or Word Viewer in order to read the attachment. Also keywords may not show up in google so readily if someone's searchng for info. </p><p> </p><p>Having archived off some of my old GSM dcc install threads I was contemplating maybe hosting them on my own web pages and linking from here. but that way it's difficult for others to post further comments & suggestions. </p>

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Hi, I know I’m reviving a way old thread...does anyone have the link to this guide or a .pdf for the Harz?

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I know I’m reviving a way old thread...does anyone have the link to this guide or a .pdf for the Harz?
You do not say which one, many different Ref No's during the production of these beasties. However this link will have the right break down for yours once you have ID'd the ref No.

Lgb service manuals - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

What it will not do of course is not give you details of how to install a chip. However there have been quite a few that have posted on how to install a chip to varying locs on this forum. Once you know the type you then need to understand the method, I can think of at least 3 ways (there may be more).

1 Old types with common wire for a motor and one rail, fairly extensive rebuild.
2 Decoder ready, just plugs in once all the Dips have been set to off.
3 A 4 pin plug to chassis, just cut out at mother board and rewire ensuring that the Motor and Tracks wires are not mixed up.

Hope this helps some.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You do not say which one, many different Ref No's during the production of these beasties. However this link will have the right break down for yours once you have ID'd the ref No.

Lgb service manuals - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

What it will not do of course is not give you details of how to install a chip. However there have been quite a few that have posted on how to install a chip to varying locs on this forum. Once you know the type you then need to understand the method, I can think of at least 3 ways (there may be more).

1 Old types with common wire for a motor and one rail, fairly extensive rebuild.
2 Decoder ready, just plugs in once all the Dips have been set to off.
3 A 4 pin plug to chassis, just cut out at mother board and rewire ensuring that the Motor and Tracks wires are not mixed up.

Hope this helps some.

The fourth one is the even older "clamshell" gearboxes, older than your item (1) above....there are plenty of very early 2-6-2 Ballerinas still around, and even one of these is chippable, just requires some different methods for re-wiring the motor.

If you can identify the particular age and model of your loco, we can probably help with chipping it!

Jon.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Will be getting a 2080d. I am really just trying to find out if it will be a complete deconstruction of the engine....the full on surgery as was the case on the 1st gen Stainz. Someone please just tell me I won’t need 6 days and special machinery for the job:drunk:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A 2080d is an old one...... chipping it won't be very difficult, but yes, it WILL most likely mean dismantling the loco. I've never had an early 2080 apart, can anyone else advise whether it is a clamshell box or whether the motor is accessible from the top like it is in an early U-class?

Shouldn't be THAT hard, either way - once you can get at the motor, just soldering wires directly to the motor terminals and snipping away the brass bus-bars where they touch the motor connections. Track power input (brown and white wires for the decoder) can be picked up from the brass tabs that provide the original connections for the lighting.

Jon.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Sure. Thanks. Yes, have done plenty of installs before...the stains and a Playmobile. Did lots of nscale so working on these is a joy...arenas of room.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You can put a piece of heat shrink on the bus bar rather than cutting it, so it could be returned to stock later. I bought a used loco and could not figure why the motor did not run, but the owner had done this so he could make the lights go but no motor.

Greg

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Bah! Why would I do something so logical?! Nope...go all the way or not at all :rofl::rofl::rofl: