LGB F-B SOUND

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again
I have an LGB F Unit A-B-A lashup which runs on my Mossoth system. Hoever, I have never been able to get the sound control to work as per the instructons and I think it is about programming the B unit CVs. How do you do this?
Bill

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bill,
just confirming that it is a decoder equipped unit and secondly making sure that you are only using two speakers in your three loco lashup. The 'B'-unit will not drive three speakers.

You really need to elaborate on the actual problem. In so far as adjusting CV's then you need your original paperwork to get the CV list and then using your Massoth hand held, read the CV's and adjust the value as required. Before any adjustment is made, what is the problem you are experiencing?

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Tim
I should have explained things more fully. I run in A-B-A formation and the sound system is set to Position 1 as per the instructons. However, I have no contol of the sound output. I think it is because the decoder in the B unit is not correctly programmed with the A unit address. My question is how do I programme it? It has no power pickups and gets its power via the two wire lead from the A unit. Do I have to put the A & B units on my programming track and programme them both together?
Bill

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bill,
by 'control of the sound output', then I assume you mean bell/horn/etc., operation. Does your loco initiate startup and ramping throttle sounds? Does your loco operate over track magnets to give bell/horn using the reed switches mounted inside the rear truck of the 'B'-unit?

I had both analogue and digital versions of the F7 but never used on digital. Considering the age of these units then possibly still 'serial' processing, not later parallel update (late 2004 from memory). If serial processing of function inputs (bell, horn, brakes, station announcement, etc.), then CV49 needs to be set to a value of '11' to enable the hand controller to function. You will need to use multiple single function button '1' presses to trigger each sound function if this is so. Thus station announcement may need the function '1' button to be pressed, say five times to initiate. Of cause your version may be a parallel software update and thus selecting individual function buttons one time only will give specific functions.

All that aside, your original instructions should give some clue as the adjusting CV's in the sound unit in the 'B' unit (it has its own sound only decoder on the circuit board).

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Tim
The original instructions are not helpful. My basic question is how do I set up the B unit to alter CVs?. Do I put it on my programming track alone or with its accompanying A unit?
Bill

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I would say that if you only want to reprogramme the loco address(es) so that both units are on the same address, put both units on the prog track together and they should both take up the same address number when you go through the programming steps, just the same as if you're changing the address on an MTS equipped loco with a separate sound module in it. If you want to fiddle with individual CVs, then I'd work on the B unit alone by connecting the programming track feeds direct to the connector plugs on the B unit.

Jon.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bill,
I checked the instructions and the parts download and it appears that basically the address and factory reset only can be changed on the decoder in the sound unit. There is no apparent control over functions. Instructions say you can read other CV's but cannot adjust. I would try setting up both A and B units interconnected on a programming track and attempt to read CV's. Possibly switch off the A unit motor selection and attempt a reading. The instructions imply the loco is a parallel update model so individual sound functions should operate with a single action. Did the unit used to work or is it a recent purchase?

Does the unit operate on DC analogue power? Exactly what is the issue - are you getting any sound at all?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like you have a similar problem to my V52.

I could control the loco (address 07), but found the engine sound changed when I was driving another loco adrress as 03.

As Jon says, you may have to place both A+B units on the programming track together....

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Gents
Just tried programming the A&B units to have the same loco address but still no control over sound functionallity. Changed CV 49 to 11 with a similar effect!!! Do I need to change any internal switches?
Bill