LGB DUO SYSTEM SHUNTING LOCOMOTIVE QUESTION

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
My earlier point is that how the circuit reacts to PWM, as usual output from R/C controllers... the voltage does NOT vary, it is pulses of full battery voltage (minus a bit) and the width of the pulses SIMULATES a lower voltage.

This is a common issue with older sound cards, that were at full speed all the time, detecting full voltage all the time.

So this would depend on how the loco detects voltage, and if it was a problem, perhaps could be cured with filtering.

But a lot of effort on conjecture on a possible purchase. I would not buy it and assume you could be 100% certain it would work.

Greg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I played around with it on the workbench. Of course, using an LGB transformer, the loco operated as it was designed to do. However, using my Railboss equipped battery trailing car, only the couplers worked. The loco would not move even when I increased the voltage.

Greg is correct. Certain sound systems go full speed as soon as voltage is increased using the Railboss system.

I reached out to Del Tapparo, knowing he does not like to stray outside of his systems, but he replied with a short curt answer, that he knows nothing of the LGB Duo loco. I like his products but I suspect he likes to keep himself safe from any sort legal claims.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.
I have found Del to be helpful, but we are far enough away from each other, to not be a threat to each others customer-base.

Would love to get my hands on one of these, if only to swage my curiosity.
I *think* I should be able to make it work with a PWM controller, for a 'couple of bucks', but nothing is certain, but death and taxes.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so now you need to try a "pwm" filter, and unfortunately, you need one to handle the motor current (there were smaller cheaper ones if it was the other way around).

Here's what you would want to try:
s121332513913518739_p102_i2_w640.jpeg

What is somewhat humorous is that this version is from G Scale Graphics... but is no longer on their site...

also listed on Robbie's site: https://www.rldhobbies.com/rev-57079.aspx, but discontinued

If you have the loco already, email me, I have a few...

Greg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm.
I have found Del to be helpful, but we are far enough away from each other, to not be a threat to each others customer-base.

Would love to get my hands on one of these, if only to swage my curiosity.
I *think* I should be able to make it work with a PWM controller, for a 'couple of bucks', but nothing is certain, but death and taxes.

PhilP

Don't get me wrong, Del is extremely helpful when it comes to any of his products. It's one of the reasons why I have bought from him many times. He just doesn't like to stray outside his comfort zone. I can't say that I blame him in todays society.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so now you need to try a "pwm" filter, and unfortunately, you need one to handle the motor current (there were smaller cheaper ones if it was the other way around).

Here's what you would want to try:
s121332513913518739_p102_i2_w640.jpeg

What is somewhat humorous is that this version is from G Scale Graphics... but is no longer on their site...

also listed on Robbie's site: https://www.rldhobbies.com/rev-57079.aspx, but discontinued

If you have the loco already, email me, I have a few...

Greg

Thanks Greg. I've sent a message to RLD hobbies. Full disclosure, I have also posted this subject on Model Train Forum.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg. I've sent a message to RLD hobbies. Full disclosure, I have also posted this subject on Model Train Forum.
Let us know what they suggest, please..

PhilP

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Checking RLD Hobbies site just now, the Linear Output Plug & Play Board REV 57079 is no longer available.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:(
I guess it is no longer considered necessary, with the new Revolution equipment?
Possibly, they have been selling 'new, old-stock'?

PhilP

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The Shed The Shed That looks pretty good - are you aware if the non-dcc and dcc DUO locos use the same coupler mechanisms? I may have to dig my dcc DUO apart and have a look at the PCB to see what its up too.