LGB DUO SYSTEM SHUNTING LOCOMOTIVE QUESTION

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering of the LGB 21900 Duo system loco would perform it's uncoupling operation if run on battery power ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the manual, the system is triggered from slow reverse to 0 to slow forwards (or vice versa)... not sure you could simulate that with any controller available now, not to mention what it would do with PWM...

Have to find someone who tried it...

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering of the LGB 21900 Duo system loco would perform it's uncoupling operation if run on battery power ?
In theory yes, but as ever it depends on what you are talking about. So long as the battery supply is taking over the place of feeding in to the circuit as if it was from the track and the voltage is sufficient I cannot see why not.

I have converted a few DCC locomotives with 12-14 volts and all the functions work just fine. However I do not have any auto uncouplers and remove smokers as they will reduce running time.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Look at the manual how it works, you will see that most controllers might have a problem simulating the power sequence required, and also again it is questionable that PWM would not have issues. The system is designed to work on DC.

Have you used one of these, and operated the uncoupler?

I read the manual and sequence to operate...

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think these were very common (popular?) here in the UK?

Were they not a 'relative' of the Harlequin loco, and related to the 99-5001 model?

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think these were very common (popular?) here in the UK?

Were they not a 'relative' of the Harlequin loco, and related to the 99-5001 model?

PhilP
I have one that I brought from Zerogee. It's the red one, which were originally sold by LGB as DC, but unusually this one was sold as DCC fitted, and as such is quite rare. It operates the same way as the later blue DCC version.

I had mine upgraded with sound so I could use it on Hardyard for shunting. I ran it only last week after re-addressing and it works very well. Lots of nice uncoupling noises when F1 operated, and the engine sound is fab-u-lous!

The chassis is much more realistic than an earlier yellow KoF I once owned, having balance weights on the drive rods and overall, a much better looking loco. LGB obviously had a basic drive train for the more basic version (such as the Harlequin) as well as the more detailed chassis for the 'Top of the Line' model.

So to answer Dan's question, I guess this could be done using batteries, as the original LGB 21900 was designed to run on DC with an LGB controller....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all your replies. I use G Scale Graphics Railboss modules. If that sheds any more light on the type of power I use, I would be happy to hear further comments.

The receiver

The transmitter

The battery conversion module

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I explained it twice, and it's not registering... The operation seems to rely on a smooth transition from - voltage to zero and continuing on to plus voltage. ... most units cannot do this, the direction is separately controllable.. also again the PWM from your remote has been ignored...

The GSG controller is indeed pwm... and you don't have a "shunting mode" type of throttle... try it, following the instructions and see if the couplers go...

Maybe people lost sight of the request for the couplers to operate?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I explained it twice, and it's not registering... The operation seems to rely on a smooth transition from - voltage to zero and continuing on to plus voltage. ... most units cannot do this, the direction is separately controllable.. also again the PWM from your remote has been ignored...

The GSG controller is indeed pwm... and you don't have a "shunting mode" type of throttle... try it, following the instructions and see if the couplers go...

Maybe people lost sight of the request for the couplers to operate?
Greg, I don't have one of these locos, but are confused by your statement, this is my controller, and can go from forward to reverse via zero without without hesitation with inertia set to zero:

1685544271224.png

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you are using an RF throttle... you are right that they exist... you are correct.

His hardware does not do that I believe... he posted what he has.

jimmy, can you smoothly go from slow forwards, to zero and to slow reverse without any "hesitation" in the output (sorry, cannot describe it better)

you probably have the closest to what the LGB manual asks for...

still the PWM issue has not been addressed.... LGB uses an analog DC supply as an example....

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am with Greg on this one..

I wonder if the Duo loco would work on 'address 0' stretched DCC? - This would be similar to a PWM signal.

And yes, the Micron (& Co), in fact most, RC systems are PWM, so may not work as expected.

Dan, a short length of track, fed with the output of your G Scale Graphics receiver, would answer the question.
But as Greg states, and I understand the Rail Boss works, you have a separate control for direction, to speed?

PhilP

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I am with Greg on this one..

I wonder if the Duo loco would work on 'address 0' stretched DCC? - This would be similar to a PWM signal.

And yes, the Micron (& Co), in fact most, RC systems are PWM, so may not work as expected.

Dan, a short length of track, fed with the output of your G Scale Graphics receiver, would answer the question.
But as Greg states, and I understand the Rail Boss works, you have a separate control for direction, to speed?

PhilP

If I understand your question, there are three buttons on the transmitter. One for throttling up, one for throttling down and the third is to change direction. The direction button will not work if the throttle is not at full stop.

And speaking of PWM, I seem to recall questioning Del Tapparo, owner of G Scale Graphics, about PWM and LGB motors. To be honest I cannot recall the conversations but he assured me that he took LGB motors into account when he designed his systems.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, neither thing is the point...

it's the electronics that operates the couplers, like you asked. I explained it several times... and also suggested you try it, and PhilP gave you a suggestion on how you try it easily.

Greg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
OK, neither thing is the point...

it's the electronics that operates the couplers, like you asked. I explained it several times... and also suggested you try it, and PhilP gave you a suggestion on how you try it easily.

Greg

Yes, but unlike some who are well versed in electronics, I don't have the interest. If I can come upon one of these locos at a reasonable price, I may simply dive in and see if I float.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
So you don't even own the loco? No wonder you did not try it out.... maybe let us know next time you are considering buying one?

Well Greg, the one I was considering and ordered took some time in arriving. My original query was to get knowledgable opinions before i pulled the trigger. Even if i wasn't considering purchasing one, don't you think that asking questions may just help someone else ?

With all due respect, Greg, though you are a very knowledgable guy and have benefitted from it, now and then you come across on this and other forums, a bit on the sarcastic side.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
So the DUO loco arrived this afternoon. I tested it with an LGB transformer and it works perfectly. However, when I powered it using a Li-On battery and my G Scale Graphics Railboss Plus module, the couplers work but the loco will not move.

Since I run battery power exclusively in my garden railway, I may simply build a small switching layout with track power to run this loco. That is unless someone has an idea of how to operate it via battery power.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They are rare as rocking-horse droppings, over here, so I have never seen one..

I would suggest you have a word with Del(?) at G Scale Graphics, as you use his kit..
If you have the space in the loco, you may be able to fit a GSG linear board?

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of the dc versions.
they are excellent, and take a bit of practice, but will crawl nicely…

these locos have a voltage ‘threshold’ for
1 dropping the coupler, extending coupler ‘tongue’ , yellow roof lantern, then red, ive not measured, but id estimate 3-5v from memory.
2 engaging the loco motor, yellow lantern, red off, about 7-8v, coupler will still be dropped
3 raising the the coupler, estimated 10v, lanterns off- this important to note, in case the coupler doesnt raise.

fwiw, yellow lantern indicates ‘within coupler operating range’
red is coupler engaged/dropped loop tongue extended
off indicates no coupler drop

The loco needs higher voltage/ speed, for the coupler to raise. So if you slow, stop, uncouple, and slowly move off, the coupler wont raise until youre running somewhat faster.

these have a significantly higher voltage threshold for movement compared to almost all other lgb locos, except those with the old ‘switching’ circuitry (i think this was designated HEV??another high voltage threshold for movement,..allowed a larger loco like my Hrz 2-6-2t, not to move until say 7-8v while a ‘normal’ lgb loco switched at 2-5v, an analog gee whiz feature, long before digital)

it does NOT require reversing current to operate. Eg, If pulling a car, one could slow then stop until lanterns light yellow then red, raise voltage to pull away, yellow, and then faster to raise coupler, lanterns off.

re battery, should work, provided it can deliver 10-12v, id guess, and output can be raised and lowered.
So if the couplers work, im guessing youre around 7-8 volts, but you need higher voltage to overcome the motor resistor level. And, a remote to vary the battery output.

Last edited: