LGB double motor onboard decoder, power switch missing!

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to test a butchered loco with an onboard double motor block decoder. The loco power switch is missing, grrrr. I don’t have a switch easily to hand,
Buzzing around with a multimeter, it’s not obvious. It’s the socket to the right of the red ‘sound’ one. The lower two are for the motor blocks.
I’m guessing it’s just a link between 2 pins. Thinking a bit about it, the switch is a 3 way, off, lights, lights and motor. Perhaps all 4 pins need linking.....

Malcolm149DEF68-49B9-4CD4-ACC2-A46A410C2D78.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB switch is a weird and wonderful beastie..
Two discreet switches, in the one package, and ten(!) pins. And that is the simple one..

From the switch harness I have to hand:
With your board with the red connector to your left, and the switch connector to your right, looking into the opening on the housing, so the ribbon would be coming towards you.

The right-hand pin is common.
Numbering from right to left:
Off - No connection
1 - Pin1 connects to Pin2
2- Pin1 connects to Pins1&2
3 - Pin1 connects to Pins1, 2, & 3

YMMV

PHILP

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. With my dodgy hookup, can’t read the decoder, which may be toast.
There was a motor load in circuit. May have to resort to pulling apart something and try again.

Malcolm

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I assume you bought this locomotive knowing it was not operational. Someone obviously removed the switch which is required to be connected for the onboard decoder to work in DC analog power........probably same in DCC but not positive since never tried it. That might be the reason you can read or write the CVs, or as you indicate, it might be a defective decoder. But I don't think you can confirm it without the power switch cable being connected along with the track power.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
To test LGB dc/dcc boards I just tie all 4 pins together where the switch connects.