LGB digital loco

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
This is probably a simple yes or no, if I buy a secondhand "digital" LGB KOF do I have to remove a decoder, is it a simple "don't do it" or is there another solution? I am a dull and simple "lad" who can only understand two wires to the track and twist the controller.
Any advice appreciated

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, no need to remove it, Decoder can cope with analog :clap:

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Best answers
Thank you Phil you've made night better after a £340 mot! Thread dead but don't know how to kill it! (dull and simple!)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Generally speaking no need to remove the decoder. It will run on analogue DC as long as the previous owner hasn't disabled that capability (in which case you'll need to find someone who can program it back on for you).

Avoid using pulse power analogue controllers with digital locos, the electronics in the loco won't like it. Only use pure smooth DC.

You'll probably notice the digital loco will take a little more "twist of the controller" before it starts moving, because the decoder needs enough volts to "wake up" and realise that it's running on analogue. This also means you cannot normally double-head a digital and non-digital loco that are otherwise identical mechanisms, because of the difference in starting characteristics.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If you are really sure that you will never move to DCC, you could always remove the onboard decoder and sell it, returning the loco to basic analogue operation. The decoder in a KoF is basically a Massoth L unit, IIRC, you'd probably get a few quid for it either on evilBay or on the sales forum here.....

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have not been inside a Kof, but if it like any other LGB loco the lights etc will be from the board that has the DCC built in. So I would not recommend striping out the board to flog on EBay.

A friend of mine has LGB chipped loco's in his collection and swears that chipped lcoo's run better on analog than non chipped ones. And he does do a lot of running trust me on this. He also uses an LGB Jumbo Controller with no worries.

Also take good notice of the advice re pulse controllers, this is good advice.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
I have not been inside a Kof, but if it like any other LGB loco the lights etc will be from the board that has the DCC built in. So I would not recommend striping out the board to flog on EBay. .....
JonD

A valid point, JonD, though on a simple loco like a KoF it would be a pretty basic job to reconnect the lights directly to track power (with a couple of diodes if you want directionality) and swap the bulbs for 24v ones. Depends whether the trouble would be worth the £20-£25 you might get for the decoder of course, but I thought I'd mention it as one possibility!

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly as Jon has stated, i would not remove the decoder. You may also find it accelerates slowly even if you twist your contriller to full on. This is a function of DCC that is a variable stting - depending on how high it is preset you may notice this. I also agree - it might run better.