LGB Diesel sound unit

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
HELP!I am in the process of fitting an LGB 65003 unit but it only appears to work when it feels like it, it comes on some times so it's getting power its also got a 65011 power storage unit.
Any ideas why it will only work some times?
i can have it running turn power off and let the storage unit run down turn the power back on and nothing.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have just had one . Did everything it should then switched off . The only way to get it working was to remove power, then it would work for a short period then switch off again. Sent it to Gendale for repair by massoth as my friend is not in a hurry they will send it when they have enough to warrent a parcel. Cost about £ 40.00 urgent service cost about £60.00

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Philbahn said:
I have just had one . Did everything it should then switched off . The only way to get it working was to remove power, then it would work for a short period then switch off again. Sent it to Gendale for repair by massoth as my friend is not in a hurry they will send it when they have enough to warrent a parcel. Cost about £ 40.00 urgent service cost about £60.00
Sorry, am I missing something here? Why is there a cost to have this put right Phil? If it's knackered is it not covered by some sort of guarantee?

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
is this a fault in the unit as I have two other's that are 100% reliable.
condition are as you describe tho, looks like it will try Glendale who i have not used before and see if they can get the fault fixed.
Thanks for help at least its nothing Ive done.

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Dont know if would be covered as it was an ebay buy and its dated 2002 on the back. mind you i did think they never went wrong.it also appears to like a time delay before turning back on but sure how long it takes as i jusrt went back to it and it comes on no problem turn off and turn back on NOTHING
tried it again and nothing this time very very frustrating!
yb281 said:
Philbahn said:
Sorry, am I missing something here? Why is there a cost to have this put right Phil? If it's knackered is it not covered by some sort of guarantee?

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I had a steam unit that didn' t work. If its out of warranty take it out of its case and check the soldered joints, twist the circuit board gently and see if it is affected by doing this, it may be a dry joint. Check the wires to the speaker as well for a good connection. Lastly try another speaker I think they are 8 ohm available at maplins for not a lot of pennies. On mine it was a faulty speaker which I replaced................worth a try before you spend a lot.8|

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I also had a faulty LGB #65003 American diesel sound unit. It worked when I put it away, but next time it was completely dead. I threw it in the household refuse bin. Several days later I read that the speakers are tempermental on these units. I retrieved from the bin, washed away the eggshells and vegetable peelings and replaced the speaker. The unit still works perfectly many years later.

As others have suggested consider swapping out the speaker. It may be that the #65011 sound storage capacitor has enough 'kick' to initiate the speaker when it is charged but the base start current is insufficient to trigger the speaker coil.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have you thought about reseting unit to factory defaults and trying without any other gismo's attached? This is always worth a go.
JonD

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Mel it was in a secondhand loco. Not a new unit so not covered by a guarantee
And yes I did do a reset and out of the loco
yb281 said:
Philbahn said:

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Tried it this morning with a different speaker that does work but nothing and tried it out the loco and nothing. just strange that it only goes some times with no real pattern to it. Guess Glen dales sound like the best option now.

UPDATE
it seems to be a start up with current problem as if i have current running with a either positive or nagative disconected from the track and them apply it the sound comes on and if i try it from start up nothing any ideas?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds like a dodgy capacitor which, if it is, should be pretty easy to fix for a repairer.

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Doggy capacitor ok can anybody suggest where I could get it fixed? as i wouldn't know a capacitor if I fell over it and from the size of the gizmos on the board i dont think I could fall over it and i presume a squirt of WD40 wouldn't help.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
craigrailinc said:
Doggy capacitor ok can anybody suggest where I could get it fixed? as i wouldn't know a capacitor if I fell over it and from the size of the gizmos on the board i dont think I could fall over it and i presume a squirt of WD40 wouldn't.

Got a photo of the pcb?

I'll see if there is any obvious visual fault....

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
poor quality of photo sorry
d84d5cae7caa4fa5b92a263bb7f2a926.jpg

d9d3c8d807414870973c01fdfafd30ff.jpg

aa2c380eccdd47468f456707dc3c07a3.jpg

nothing looks to be loose

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
the two blue things are the capacitors

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
the two blue things are the capacitors

Yep as Phil mentioned, those blue can like compnents are the capacitors.

Difficult to tell but if they look 'leaky' or if the silver top is bulging, then they have probably failed. If you do replace these, then make sure they go in with the white stripe on the same side as they are polarised....

Steven.T

16mm Scale NG
27 Dec 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Best answers
Looks like there's another one, in between the copper coil looking thingy and the two terminals.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Steven.T said:
Looks like there's another one, in between the copper coil looking thingy and the two terminals.
You are right Steve....

468958696eb0421b8f24bfe02842d350.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well cant tell a thing from the pics, sorry-
while a neophyte with electronics, i understand that caps can last up to twenty years...but simply , youd need to test them to be certain
presume youre tongue in cheek about wd40-it has no place on a circuit board-

i suggest, as a possibility, after the speaker - that the pot for volume control may be a likely culprit-they get the most touching, and they can either become loose in the circuit-ie a break in the joint as mentioned above, or, the pot itself can fail-

what i suggest is to power up, with adequate voltage to normally obtain sound, and then gently touch or slightly wiggle/rotate the pot shaft and see if the speaker cuts in and out-if so, then you have a wonky volume pot, or solder joint to it

if so, there are many variables -sometimes simply a loose pot cap (the round dome attacehd to the bottom plate with little tabs, which allows the wipers to miss contact, sometimes simply worn out, sometimes the wipers become loose form the shaft , etc-the thin would be to find the pot value and replace it-obviously since if youre butterfingered, you could wreck the printed circuits with too much heat, and it may be worth it to send and pay

otoh, i have done this myself, being not too clever, in a large pricey brohtal mallet, and been successful-imho the key is a 25 w soldering pen and no more, good lighting and being able to see the underside to the board so you can loate the lugs and make a clean removal-pot vlaue might be printed on the pot in the event this possibility plays out

the next thing id check would be any slide switches, or other parts which are handled, manipulated, as possible areas for solder /circuit breaks-sometimes they are virtually invisible

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
THANK YOU all for replies.
I will contact Glendale to see about getting repair done, I had phoned and was asked(by a very helpful gent) to try it straight from the boggies to avoid the board which i have done but nothing different.
it comes back to if its not connected and power is on with load and you connect it, then it has sound.
if you have power off and no load and connect it and turn it up nothing no sound- take a connection away and reattach sound.
so will see if it can be sent for repair.
Brian