LGB Decoders and Function Mapping with DCC

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone successfully figured out how to update function mapping on new LGB decoders using a DCC system like Massoth or NCE? I just got the new 21671 cleaning loco and they are now fitted with LGB sound decoders. I want to make changes to the lighting and cleaning motor functions to be more consistent with my fleet, but the supplemental programming manual is a bit opaque on how to do this using the strings in CVs 33-37. I have a few other locos with new LGB decoders and so far have only adjusted standard individual CVs for sound volume, address, and to turn mfx off. I'd love to start being able to change the function mappings, but it seems rather cryptic.

I'm looking to make the following changes:

1. 'Headlight' roof lamp (F10) mapped to F0, only on when driving forward. This way it matches the older cleaning loco behavior.
  2. Cab light (F12) mapped to F0 so its always on in either direction when lights are on.
  3. Cleaning motor (F11) mapped to F7 (flashing lights) so that the roof flashing lights only come on when the cleaner motor is started, and its all on F7 so its similar to the common function for smoke units.

For some reason this booklet isnt posted with the manuals on the site so here are pics of the relevant info:

IMG_7759.JPEG

IMG_7760.JPEG

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Probably a lot easier to do this sort of thing using decoder programming software such as JMRI DecoderPro rather than trying to program loads of CVs on a throttle unit, though I don't know whether or not it has a decoder template for whatever Maerklin decoder is in your loco?

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone successfully figured out how to update function mapping on new LGB decoders using a DCC system like Massoth or NCE? I just got the new 21671 cleaning loco and they are now fitted with LGB sound decoders. I want to make changes to the lighting and cleaning motor functions to be more consistent with my fleet, but the supplemental programming manual is a bit opaque on how to do this using the strings in CVs 33-37. I have a few other locos with new LGB decoders and so far have only adjusted standard individual CVs for sound volume, address, and to turn mfx off. I'd love to start being able to change the function mappings, but it seems rather cryptic.

I'm looking to make the following changes:

1. 'Headlight' roof lamp (F10) mapped to F0, only on when driving forward. This way it matches the older cleaning loco behavior.
  2. Cab light (F12) mapped to F0 so its always on in either direction when lights are on.
  3. Cleaning motor (F11) mapped to F7 (flashing lights) so that the roof flashing lights only come on when the cleaner motor is started, and its all on F7 so its similar to the common function for smoke units.

For some reason this booklet isnt posted with the manuals on the site so here are pics of the relevant info:

View attachment 291155

View attachment 291156
Blub blub blub…. but I think first you need to know what sounds are being addressed currently and what they are. For instance what are values 177-204 calling, whistle, announcement, brake squeal, bell etc etc etc? Are CV 82-87 Aux 1-8 actually to do with sound as the blurb talks about AUX? Sorry this may put more unknowns into your head as they do mine!

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
The sound mappings to CVs are easy to figure out. I just went through and updated them all to increase volumes. The main manual lists the sound number for each (horn, bell, etc).

The AUX settings are going to be more difficult to figure out and I'll need to play around with the lights to see which is mapped to which. The strings for CV34-37 are whats the most difficult. You have to use an empty string for the new value, but I'm not sure if that overrides existing strings using these CVs. This is what I'm looking to figure out.