LGB confusion.....

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
NOT, I hasten to add, on MY part, but LGB's!!! I know, I know, it's hard when you find out that the company you've been worshipping for decades has actually screwed up, but it seems that in THIS case, they have...

Y'see, I have a collection of cabeeses going back many years - this is one of them [awaiting a re-paint into something a little less like a lil' red caboose] - the LGB number is 42793, and this pdf purports to be the instructions for it - https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/c7/d6/c7d6c5561203e89e32d228710b6f2e511559901761.pdf

1591365906248.png

I want to take it to pieces so that the repaint can be done properly, in accordance with my standards. Please note the configuration of the cupola - there is no test, but it is rather important.

I also have THIS older caboose, LGB number 4071 -

1591366105728.png

Note, please, the configuration of the cupola on THIS model.

I think that most here would agree that they are not the same, and that dismantling it using the instructions for dismantling the other may well be different.

Referring to the PDF, you can instantly see that this is, indeed, the case. and why would I refer to the pdf? Well, it is because pages 1 through 13 refer to the top model, but page 14 refers to the lower model.

I wrote Maerklin/LGB or vise-versa, pointing this out, and was advised as follows -

Dear Mr. Foley,

the only user manual we have available for 42793 you will find on our website under

https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/c7/d6/c7d6c5561203e89e32d228710b6f2e511559901761.pdf

Sincerely yours,

Your Maerklin Customer Service

Frank Mayer

Gebr. Maerklin & Cie. GmbH

In mitigation, this pathetic 'instruction sheet' is all that accompanied the top caboose - a pretty useless 'set of instructions' for dismantling a fairly complex model with lighting and numerous internal parts.

1591367186735.png

It seems that to company is unable to provide either an explanation, or a correction for what is plainly a co- mix-up.

So, anybody here taking one of the newer cabeeses to peeses?

TIA

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
that is funny, the page 14 seems to want to address the lighting, but the roof that has the light is not the same caboose...

Oh how the mighty have fallen, no longer measured by the same yardstick :giggle:

Greg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
what can one expect?
LGB went broke. was bought by another company (Maerklin) that had gone broke too.
so all idealists, modelers, railroadfans and engineers were replaced by economists.
things like this are the inevitable results.

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Questioning a large company's incompetence in trying to make things better is like telling a dog how to play poker unless it will obviously effect their bottom line.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
what can one expect?
LGB went broke. was bought by another company (Maerklin) that had gone broke too.
so all idealists, modelers, railroadfans and engineers were replaced by economists.
things like this are the inevitable results.
Poor and inaccurate manuals is not the exclusive domain of LGB or model railways, it applies to virtually all aspects of modern life. User documentation is very low on the totem pole of priorities. I'd rather have more good products if an economic choice has to be made.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
a pretty useless 'set of instructions'

The family-owned LGB produced "expoloded diagrams", showing every single part in a model, each with a number that allowed you to order any part. This recognised that, along with modellers happy to run their railways "out-of-the-box", there was a sizeable community of those of us wanting to create "one-off specials" by mixing and matching LGB components (Guilty, m'lud!).

The Marklin-owned LGB does not recognise the existence of this second group, and the only spare parts that they are willing to supply are the "consumables" - like bulbs, screws, couplings, etc. As a result, their diagrams do not need to be detailed, they only need to be indicative of the locations of the spare parts that that they are willing to supply. So the parts diagram for the 6-wheeled HF130 diesels 23591 and 70580 include a line diagram of the cab and engine cover for the 4-wheeled 2090-series model!

For example http://www.gbdb.info/data/zeichnung/LGB/70580.pdf

When I asked Marklin why this was, they were quite happy to admit that "a spare part drawing is made to identify the position of a spare part. In detail it can be different from the real design of a part"

Just something we are going to have to put up with, I'm afraid.

Best wishes

David

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
First mistake - worshipping LGB :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose it depends on the market they're aiming for. Toy or modeellers

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Oh common Tac.
A man of your calibre can surely work out how to disassemble a simple cabooose.
It's not rocket science.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
It's like this, y'see. I'm trying to do it without accidentally breaking anything, since I'm too poor to buy a replacement.

F'rinstance, taking my Fn3 Accucraft D&RGW van apart was a nightmare, with many odd parts interlocking and screws that held bits together that did not seem to be connected. Getting it back together would have been easier if I'd been inside doing it.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
My grouse with LGB (as was) is that every Stainz loco has the same coal-hole lid raised, and every 4-wheel coach has the same window open, on each side. If I wanted an open window in a coach, which I probably wouldn’t, and certainly not two, I’d rather do it myself.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's like this, y'see. I'm trying to do it without accidentally breaking anything, since I'm too poor to buy a replacement.

F'rinstance, taking my Fn3 Accucraft D&RGW van apart was a nightmare, with many odd parts interlocking and screws that held bits together that did not seem to be connected. Getting it back together would have been easier if I'd been inside doing it.
The Accy brass caboose is far easier to dismantle than the plastic one - the shorter wheelbase caboose does rather pose an intelligence test for dismantling. It's OK once you've done it once :D:D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Is that because you've learnt your lesson and got someone else to do it?:giggle::giggle::giggle:
When I eventually got the thing apart, I converted the lighting to battery power, 'cos of the drag and squeak of the brass contact strips ;)