LGB Caboose 42710

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I have just acquired the LGB Caboose 42710 :inlove: and can any one tell me if in the prototype the red light on the roof was a fixed light or flashing as I would like to kit this one out with a full set of lights,

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
I do stand open to correction on this Graham but the lights on a caboose were a fixed light and the red flashing light came in as an end of train warning when the caboose was discontinued.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well on this wpy style caboose,
The round molded in lamps with dummy white reflectors were in fact the white spotlights. The light on the cupola was a rotating beacon.

On later versions of this caboose, lgb added US style separate lanterns. They offer their own charm and ease of inserting the lgb brass socket and 18v yellow bulb.

While speculation, i would think the roof lantern, being amber and very bright would penetrate snowing or blizzard conditions better than red. Probably a good thing if stopped for a blocked tack.

I lighted the spotlight lamps on mine. I used two lgb 5v reds wired in series. They are vivid and look great. I simply set them into the round housing, without an lgb style 5v plug.

My roof lantern is a flashing amber led, runs off AA , i think 2.

If i were to do this now, id make every lamp an led. A pulsing led, (grows bright and then dims) similar to a light house style might be perfect depending on the pulse rate.

but, drgw only ran cabbose lanterns, and nothing that resembles the lgb wpy model. So, you can apply rule 8. In so doing, let me say bight blue LEDs , perhaps for the cupola light, would look very good,imho. (Did this on one of my 2033s that blew aflasher circuit, they look great).

Have fun. Lights are good!

Last edited:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Thanks for the I info - rule 8 and my box of led`s will decide. I'm assuming the long end goes to the front and the short end to the rear?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The long leg is the positive terminal.

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
On a similar vein if I install LED`s do I need to use bridge rectifiers so that they work which ever way the caboose is on the track

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes. for DC. Look on ebay - they are a few pence.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
On a similar vein if I install LED`s do I need to use bridge rectifiers so that they work which ever way the caboose is on the track

If you are analogue, and want the lights on in both directions of travel. - Not sure if you are talking internal lights.

If you are DCC, then you do not need a bridge rectifier..