LGB/Aster WP&YR #73 engine running too slow?

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone own a slow running LGB/Aster WP&YR #73 engine? I exchanged the motor on mine with one used in the LGB rack steam loco. It works much better now. I is a job I do not recommend for anyone not accustomed to taking an engine apart. This one is difficult. Biggest issue: Getting the sprocket belt gear off the old motor. I had to scatch-make a new gear and a spacer block to mount the motor. The engine is running now about twice as fast and has less load sensitivity, meaning it is more willing to pull something. The pictures show the old and the new motor installation and the pulley-gear I made.

Attachments

• IMG_7173co.jpg
    IMG_7173co.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7168co.jpg
    IMG_7168co.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 0

Matthias

Registered
13 Apr 2019
Switzerland
www.beathis.ch
Best answers
Country flag
I own this engine too and made nearly the same conversion. Details in german:

LGB 21832 WP&YR Dampflok Nr.73

I used a Maxon motor:

tP1060405.jpg

Now the engine has a good speed with enough power to pull a nice train.

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Matthias, der Maxon Motors Ihrer Wahl ist sicherlich dem Buehler Motor aus der Zahnradlok etwas voraus. Ich habe mir die technischen Eigenschaften Ihres Motors angesehen. Bei 24 V und kontinuierlicher Belastung von maximal 3,5 A hat er eine beachtliche Leistung. Die hohe Leerlaufdrehzahl (fast 3 mal die des orginal Buehler Motors) und die Tatsache, dass mit zunehmender Belastung auch die Drehzahl nur unwesentlich abnimmt macht ihn ideal fuer die Anwendung in der #73. Ein weiterer Vorteil, der Durchmesser ist fast identisch mit dem urspruenglichen Motor. Ich musste das Blechteil der Motorbefestigung mit der Saege bearbeiten um den im Durchmesser groesseren Buhler Motor einbauen zu koennen. Auch das Abstandsstueck war noetig, da der Motor kuerzer ist und nicht die gleiche Anordnung der Befestigungsloecher aufweist.
Ich hatte Schwierigkeiten das Ritzel abzuziehen. Mit dem notwendigen Aufbohren wolle ich mir auch nicht den Rueckweg zum alten Motor verbauen. Aus diesem Grunde habe ich ein neues Ritzel gebastelt. Es hat nur 12 Zaehne. statt der urspruenglichen 14. Das reduziert zwar die Geschindigkeit der Lock noch weiter, wird aber wett gemacht durch die Reduktion des erforderlichen Drehmomentes. Wie sind Sie auf die Idee gekommen das es nicht aufgepresst, sondern geklebt ist?
Ich muss Ihnen ein Kompliment machen. Die notwendigen Schritte des Umbaues so detailiert zu dokumentieren ist schon ein recht beachtlichen Unterfangen. Ob ich auch auf Zimo umsteigen will ist noch nicht entschieden.

Matthias

Registered
13 Apr 2019
Switzerland
www.beathis.ch
Best answers
Country flag
I stay on english for our friends here. A good friend helped me with the conversion and he gave me the hint with the glue.

50calMal

Registered
1 Jul 2013
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've been considering obtaining one of these locos for my WP&YR inspired railway, but had heard they were a bit on the 'gutless' side. Interested to hear about the conversion, it may make me re-think my plans!!

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
50calMal you have the message correctly. The #73 is a bit gutless as it comes out of the box. It is slow and will not apply itself to do the job. I modified mine using the Buehler motor LGB uses in the Bruenig Bahn Rack Loco. Matthias used the Maxon motor. The Maxon seems more suited then the LGB one I used. I had to modify some hardware to fit in the bigger diameter and make a spacer block to accommodate the shorter length and screw hole pattern. The Maxon fits more readily. Unfortunately it is also more expensive. Let me warn you, the taking apart and reassembly is not one of the easier things I have ever done. Matthias has documented the entire procedure in detail. Click on his site above, it is in his message of Sunday at 10:07 AM (LGB 21832 WP&YR Dampflok No.73)
It is in German and you would have to translate the captions. Google has a good translating site, if you are not familiar with it I can help.
Happy to hear you are into the WP&YR. I just love that silly little railroad. I have been in Skagway so many times, I lost count. They usually give me free rides, but then, I also take any models I build of their rolling stock along with me, "show and tell" style. You may have noticed the model of the #114 in my logo. I scatch-built it as a brass model.

50calMal

Registered
1 Jul 2013
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the information. I've only visited the White Pass once but it gave me loads of inspiration for my current garden railway. It's a bit costly getting there from the UK! Yes I have seen pictures of your fantastic models, truly awesome. I'm just running LGB WP locos at the moment, but aspire to scratch build a shovel nose or two in the future - I am a time served mechanical (railway) engineer, so have the basic skills, just need the time!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The saga of my Aster/LGB Mikes occupied a few pages of MyLargeScale a number of years ago. I bought the first example from MBV Schug in Germany. After a little pre-run lubrication it was put on the rollers, where it ground to a halt - literally, within 30 seconds. I took it to the UK LGB distributor in Leighton Buzzard, who could not have been more helpful. He gave me a replacement, right off the pallet, there and then. And wished me luck with it.

Getting it home, and setting it up, it lasted almost a whole minute before that ratchety noise announced a full stop. I took THAT one back, and Mr Distributor, instead of giving me a new one, took it to Nurnberg with him the next day or so, and walked it onto the LGB stand with a demand to get things sorted, fast.

The upshot, within a few weeks, was a revised drive train, which did not, however, address the dismal performance of what was, here in UK, a model that had cost almost £2500. When mine finally came back to me, it was accompanied by a letter from the late Wolfgang Richter, telling me that all was now well, and not to just stick it on the shelf and look at it. Sure it runs slowly, but so does the real thing - it ain't no 'Mallard' for sure. Six Bachmann WP cars are enough to make an impression of a good-sized consist for many people, me included.

Having been given assistance by the gentlemen who have posted their useful 'how-to's' on this thread, I can advise people here that re-motoring this loco is NOT for the faint-hearted, and I'm therefore leaving mine well alone.