LGB 65xxx sound units

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Could any of you knowledgeable people out there tell me whether the Massoth 8242010 volume control is a straight fit if I take the blanking plug out of one of the LGB sound units? I've got several, but the location of the volume knob restricts the location when mounting in a loco if adjustment is required from outside once fitted.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "yes", Mike.

Jon.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon and Mike. Looks like I'll order a handful tomorrow.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Could any of you knowledgeable people out there tell me whether the Massoth 8242010 volume control is a straight fit if I take the blanking plug out of one of the LGB sound units? I've got several, but the location of the volume knob restricts the location when mounting in a loco if adjustment is required from outside once fitted.
I fitted a couple of the Steam Sounds to LGB Corpets (Europa Loc), both were taken out of their Platic Housing and mounted in the Cab Roof. This gives access to the Volume Control with it mounted so that the knob is to the cab opening. This was some years ago but I imagine the 65xxx are still the same with their own Volume Control.

I have just dug out my 65000 Manual (probably dated around 2004) and there are 4 input sockets. Reading Right to Left towards the Volume Control knob.
- Track Power
- Sound unit Power Storage
- Wheel Sensor
- Function Trigger (for a Reed Switch)
Then there is the Volume Control Knob.

No socket for a Volume Control unless they have been changed in recent years.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
They have indeed changed at some point, removing the inbuilt volume control knob and adding a socket for an external one as mentioned above. I have some of both types, with and without the manual volume control.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I am confused by the remark, "removing the blanking plug". The only blanking plugs on the sound unit are on the clock & reeds. Either the unit has a built in volume control or has a plug for a remote control, with no blanking plug.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Likewise confused!

If referring to this the original one, the volume control is attached to the PCB.
Not that onerous task to unsolder from the board, either reuse by attaching three flying leads from the board to the pot, cables of a suitable length for it's new abode, or cut the plug off from the replacement Massoth item, and solder the wires to the board.

View attachment 232584
Be nice if someone could post a pic of the current one with the plug space for plug in Sound Pot, with some blanking plugs as well in place!

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers