LGB 51070 Throttles

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
One of my 51070 throttles has just gone belly up. All of my transformers and throttles, which are LGB 51110 and 51070, are housed in an outdoor cabinet. My oldest throttle quit the other day for no apparent reason. As I was removing it from the cabinet a few drops of water spilled out of it at the joint in the bottom plate and main upper housing. Not good. I took it apart, alittle tricky, and water residue was laying on the inside of the bottom plate. The only possible thing that I could think of, was earlier this summer, we had a very damp few days. An odd sort of damp where the dampness seemed to creep into the house. I tested the unit and nothing. Not even a flicker on my meter.

Now LGB has outdoor throttles that are housed in little huts. They have ventilation slots, probably to let moisture out and fresh air in. Why then couldn't I drill small holes into my 51070 throttles to accomplish the same thing. I have also placed a small silent fan in the cabinet to keep some air moving around.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Yes I don't see why you cant ventilate the chassis as long as it's not going outside, just watch the spiders don't make it a home!

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
When a big lump like a transformer heats up it expands a bit but when you switch off it cools and will draw in air , if the air is damp the cycle of destruction will start, Out side lighting has the odd self destruct wish, by drowning, all the cause of expansion and contraction, I would be doing the oppositte to drilling holes in by sealing it all watertight, but things like knobs and buttons are difficult to seal, CCTV cameras usually have a small heater unit in them to stop moisture build up they are really low wattage, but maybe that may work?