Lgb 4 Point Change Unit No 51750

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

Fantastic work. So what isn't working now, after all your efforts?

James

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
So if the point worked on swoping the switch it sounds like you have two duff switches in your box.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Les,

A very successful peice of work of which you can be rightly proud

Tend to agree with Minimans about your switches - suggest that you squirt a copious amount of the devils fluid - WD40 into the switches through the gaps at the top and work it in by cycling the switch repeatedly. Then test again

This has worked for me when I have had sticky switches. You can probably use proper switch cleaner too if you have some.

LGB switch boxes are made of tough stuff and are rarely write-offs!

James

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning all C & D is a crossover with Massoth I used 1 number and reversed the wiring for D, will the LGB box moved 2 points? this would sort out the problems and leave D empty? Les

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

I have no experience of Massoth at all, so can't comment on that, but two LGB EPLs can be run off the same switch if you have sufficient power availbale from the supply. THe 52750 booster would help here if you had one.

That said it is best to run just one at a time, espcially if you don't have a booster and as I said before I am sure your switches can all be made to work if you use WD40 or switch cleaner and work it in by repeated switching.

James

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning all, tried WD on switch result no power to it, will leave everything alone till it dries out, but I have still got 3 out of 4 working so that's very good thank you all Les

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

There is one final thought from me about the box. I have found that the weakest link in these boxes are the sets of treminals for each switch. With age and repeated use the solderd joints that hold these to the circuit board can work lose.

Try wiggling the terminals for the faulty switch - Is there any movement? This can cause the connection to come and go.

If you think that this may be the issue unclip the base and examine the solder connections for the offending switch. Sometime just a touch with the iron will fix these. Somtimes more work is needed.

This may be the answer, it may not, but has to be worth a try.

James

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Having got some of these boxes, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread as there are a number of points which may be helpful to me as I begin to wire things up.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evening all has anyone taken the boxes apart or do they all fall in bits on the floor? Les

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Les,

Yes - I have to carry out repairs to the terminal connections.

The base is relatively easy to unclip an the end connections unscrew.

This will expose the circuit board from below to enable you to solder.

I have to confess to having forgotten how the top of the switches engage with the box. The last one I took apart was a timer. Once I had removed the top of the slider and the side connections the circuit board just fell out!

James