LGB 30720 "Florida Boy" - remove ad how?

rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I have three LGB 30720 "Florida Boy" and want to remove the ad. How best? Might graphics come off given some clever trick? Do I best paint over it? I do not have airbrush equipment. Applying paint with a brush what's the best brush?
TNX for pointers!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Try some brake fluid. It will need to soak for at least a few minutes before softening the printing. Try not to get any on the clear plastic windows for any extended time. They can be polished smooth and clear again with brass polish if frosted from the fluid slightly.
Either remove the clear windows first and lay the coach in a shallow dish with the brake fluid for 5 minutes or so or carefully paint it on, leave for a minute then do it again until the printing/paint starts coming off. Scrub it with a soft toothbrush.
Brake fluid won't chemically melt the plastic like thinners etc. can so give it a go. Don't leave it soaking overnight though just in case. :)

Last edited:

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting! I'll try to paint it on. TNX!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Try a discreet part first, just in case!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso (liquid), always good for removing paint and transfers.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso (liquid), always good for removing paint and transfers.
Never thought of that - I want to remove a painted graphic from a Piko vehicle, leaving the unpainted plastic intact and unmarked. In the past I've used alcohol but that left a slightly worn patch, though perhaps I rubbed too hard. So, just a gentle, patient touch with a cotton bud wet with Brasso, or leave it to soak for a bit?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Never thought of that - I want to remove a painted graphic from a Piko vehicle, leaving the unpainted plastic intact and unmarked. In the past I've used alcohol but that left a slightly worn patch, though perhaps I rubbed too hard. So, just a gentle, patient touch with a cotton bud wet with Brasso, or leave it to soak for a bit?
Just gentle rubbing, it is a mild abrasive :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso, may well alter the surface-finish?
Either making it smoother (more shiny) or leaving a matt finish.

So be gentle.

PhilP

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso, may well alter the surface-finish?
Either making it smoother (more shiny) or leaving a matt finish.

So be gentle.

PhilP
Hard to tell how each surface reacts, so first, I'll try a bit which will be painted over anyway, to see how I get on. Might well experiment with fine T-cut, whilst I'm at it.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Brasso, T-Cut, etc' and even toothpaste (for minty fresh wagons) are all mild abrasives. If used to remove, what I assume to be, tampo printed decoration will result in the "polishing' of the plastic substrate (if the base colour is molded). If you use fine grade wet and dry you will dull the finish (unless you are using very fine grade cloths, e.g. 3000 grit +, then is will probably polish). So, in either case, you will probably need to apply a new all over finish so it all matches again.

Brake fluid, provided the printing medium will react to it and the surface underneath is not a painted finish, will do the job without altering the overall surface finish. However be aware that sometimes a sealer can be used to give a final all over finish on your original product.

In all instances make sure you have removed any trace (right into all those little crevices) of what ever medium you have used from the finished surface, if you are going to re-coat - Any residues will react with any new paint or lacquer. Max

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thought to have posted a thanks ...don't see it. So, here again: interesting! I will try the 2nd way and paint it on, then scrub with soft tooth brush. Trial object is going to be an old banana box car with 'dead' noise electronics. (This will happen in a weeks time when I'm back from a brief outing.) Thanks again!

John Fedak

Registered
2 Dec 2019
Ottawa Ontario
Best answers
Country flag
I have three LGB 30720 "Florida Boy" and want to remove the ad. How best? Might graphics come off given some clever trick? Do I best paint over it? I do not have airbrush equipment. Applying paint with a brush what's the best brush?
TNX for pointers!
99% isopropyl alcohol and let sit. No fear of it melting the plastic. Will probably need a little brushing to help remove it. Stiff plastic not metal bristles. For repainting I use a plastic safe spray can paint. Rust-oleum Painters Touch is my goto. Painting over the graphics will show an outline.

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
THNX, John!
Today we travel back from th coast to the Kootwenays, I'll getto try rfealsoon now. -- Ren

John Fedak

Registered
2 Dec 2019
Ottawa Ontario
Best answers
Country flag
THNX, John!
Today we travel back from th coast to the Kootwenays, I'll getto try rfealsoon now. -- Ren
Your welcome. Note: LGB paint and graphics are of a higher quality that USAT and Aristo so a little more elbow grease is required. Wear gloves and possibly use one of those softer plastic scrub pads. Generally those are yellow or blue. Green can used but you will need to be more careful.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Meths. Let them set a minute.
may need repeat rubbing, but, this has worked for me.
you will require several,changes of cloth or paper towel.
fyi, it will also remove , in part or entire, any undercoat.
you will have likely have a shadow. Either micro mesh or fine primer will obscure this.

i have used these successfully on a mogul and several box car logos, baggage car, passenger roof fascia with lettering.

Last edited:

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Your welcome. Note: LGB paint and graphics are of a higher quality that USAT and Aristo so a little more elbow grease is required. Wear gloves and possibly use one of those softer plastic scrub pads. Generally those are yellow or blue. Green can used but you will need to be more careful.
I tried it on the 'Chiquita' Logo on the door of abox car. Put isoprpylalc on it twice (and richly). - No go! Can't rub of anything. There's no blistering or any other visual reaction of the blue and gold logo.
Maybe brake fluid trick next (search underway, ....it's somewhere). -- Ren

rentren

22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Meanwhile tried power steering fluid as I have no brake fluid at hand. NEG! Absolutely no effect on that printed 'Florida Orange Boy' banner add the length of the railway car. Will try with brake fluid in the upcomingweek.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Scrubbing it with a soggy aardvark won't work well either. :giggle:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013