Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
I have this Christmas theme engine # 25171
Could anyone tell me about this engine and what it does ( sound, smoke )
How well it works ( how many cars can it pull)
Thanks
Sean

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
They are great. A workhorse. Ive got 6 of these, non xmas versions. Obviously I like them. Only 1 of mine has a sound tender. It was an "add on". They can take a lot of running, and are foregiving of rough track, sharp curves, and careless handling.

Personally, i cant think of a more functional lgb offering.

Strong pullers, bullet proof, a 2 motor version (tender and loco).
Use the tether between loco and tender for flawless electric pickup.

On the flat, will pull about 24 axels, possibly more.
Curves add drag, obviously.

Should have 18 or 24 volt smoker, depending on when made.
No sound.
Will smoke modestly at a pretty good clip, less at realistic speeds, if at all. Ditto the lights. Pale , dimmish yellow when slow, brighter at an unrealistic clip.

These benefit a lot by adding a bit of weight to the loco. I stuff lead wool or auto wheel weights into the bunker area ( have to remove the cab shell) , into the hollow domes, and, as i recall, even the hollow steam chests will take a bit.

Btw, if you grossly over weight the loco, so much so that it cant slip under a heavy load, you WILL eventually wear out the axel gears. So, a little extra weight, maybe 4ozs, is helpful. Or, more simply , dont over do the load.

Last edited:

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
There should be a link at the bottom of the stack that can be swung out of the way to disconnect the smoker.

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Since ome can not improve the smoke unit in these engines, you can slow down the motor using a diode bridge on one motor lead. cut the wire and tie both pieces to the AC (marked ~) and insert diodes between the - and + to lower motor voltage thus needing more voltage to run the motor giving brighter lights and more smoke.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
If you run it on Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) power the smoke and lights will be a little better.

NOTE: Many folks do NOT recommend PWM for LGB locomotives.

---Hutch