LGB 24512 sound storage?

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I just recently acquired an LGB 24512 BEG (the white, green and red one) with factory fitted sound. I believe this isn't like the sound units that can be added to LGB locos. My question is can a sound storage unit be fitted to these factory fitted units to run the sounds when stationary on DC?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You need a power buffer..
Basically, a resistor and capacitor(s), to store energy to keep the sounds going whilst stationery.

However, getting one to fit, and getting it to work correctly with the original LGB gubbins might prove challenging under DC control.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
An alternative (and probably not very good) idea is to tweak the starting voltage CV, assuming that the chip is for traction as well as sound.
In theory you could set it high enough to give sound even though the loco is stationary (just) without upsetting the top speed.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
The sound unit already comes on at low voltage before the loco moves, but I don't like doing this at all. I've already seen the homemade power storage units described on here and was going to make one if it could be connected but it doesn't seem this was provided for. Somehow I need to find where the power comes onto the board (easy), find out a circuit that will charge capacitors at a low voltage only and allow them to feed back into the circuit when there is no power at the track (getting harder) and make it so it doesn't back-feed the track when there is no power. I think this will need some serious investigation....
Thanks for the help guys :D

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth makes one that should plug right in--I did that with the RhB version of that same engine when I was using DC. Contact Muns and he should be able to help you out.