idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Received this yesterday as a present to myself during lockdown :)
I used to have a blue version of this loco LGB 20261. This is the latest incarnation from Maerklin with mfx decoder, sound, pulsed smoke generator synchronised to the wheels, reed switches, and a motor in the loco and in the tender. The only thing missing is firebox glow.

IMG_20200519_134625.jpg

First thing I noticed out of the box was how many wires there are to connect the loco with the tender. Two plugs, one black 4-wire, presumably for motor and track + and -, and one red 10-wire, for everything else. Regulars may remember a discussion a few years ago about how many decoders and where to put them in a loco like this, and how many wires you would need between the loco and the tender. See here if you are interested: Digitising LGB 20261 Nicki-Frank-S steam tender loco - G Scale Central

IMG_20200519_125701.jpg

Maerklin have gone for one decoder in the tender, which is also where the speaker is located, the track reed switches, the "four way switch" and the volume control, and everything in the loco controlled by wires from the tender. I know the decoder is in the tender because if you disconnect them, the tender moves but the loco stays still! As has been discussed before the tender moves slightly more quickly than the loco, but not enough to make any real difference to running.

The tender contains the LGB 4-way switch and a volume control, under the water tank covers. You need a small screwdriver to adjust the volume unless you have very small nimble fingers.

IMG_20200519_131159.jpg

If you don't have an mfx controller you need to switch to DCC mode by setting CV50 to 0, or 2 if you might want to use this on DC/analog at some point. If you do get into changing the configuration, note that the front top headlight is attached to AUX1 separate from the other two front headlights. AUX3 is the cab light.

Gripes
This is my main complaint. Compared to my old blue one, the fold down footplate between the loco and the tender won't go flat as it is too long for the gap, and if you have it half down it catches going round bends. You could trim it to fit and I might do that but it is disappointing in a brand new loco. Do other owners of this loco have this problem?

IMG_20200519_135305.jpg

Plugging the 4 wire plug in is easy, but the 10 red wire plug is very challenging as there is not much play or space between the units and you can't see what you are plugging it into. It's easy to test if it is in place as the loco lights don't work if it isn't seated properly. I may be wrong but I'm not sure those cables are going to stand the test of time?

Cosmetically, they still insist on having the metal boiler bands. They are not shiny brass like older models, more subdued, but they still seem a garish to me and I haven't seen any pictures of 99 4652 which show such bands, for example:

Henschel_25983_WolfM_2015_01.jpg

At least they now have black lamp surrounds. They carefully paint all the electrical boxes on the tender yellow but not the ones on the loco. Easily remedied but why?

Goodies
The sound is very crisp and clear if rather strange at first coming from the tender. You only notice this if you're close up. Out of the box some of the additional sounds like station announcement and coal shovelling are very loud compared to the engine noises, but these can be adjusted with CV settings. You get all the usual stuff, whistle (long and short), bell, coal shovelling, injector, air pump, brakes, etc. While running you get louder chuffs starting, and moments of idling when slowing down.

The pulsed smoke generator is excellent, lots of smoke when standing, large plumes when starting, puffs synchronised to the wheels and chuff sound. It does burn through the smoke fluid quite quickly but it is the most impressive smoke generator I've seen in a ready to run loco.

You can use track magnets to sound the whistle or bell which is handy if you use analog or DCC. They provide two track magnets.

BTW if you do run analog, the lights, sound and smoke are turned on for you.

Putting the 4-way switch and volume controls out of sight under covers is a good idea. Having them inside cabs has always struck me as a bad idea, cosmetically (looks naff) and practically (can't get your fingers inside the cab easily), although better than under the loco.

Overall
It is quite an accurate model of the prototype. The scale is more like 1:19.5 but that is the LGB rubber ruler for you. With 10 powered wheels and 14 pickups there is no problem with electrical connections on any track configuration or speed. It runs very well and I imagine it could pull quite a load. Very pleased and apart from the folding footplate issue highly recommended. It is quite pricy but for a loco 0.5m long with 2 motors, DCC sound card and pulsed synchronised smoke generator all fitted it's not too bad.

Reactions: 4 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive..

Does the 'folding footplate' fit in a slot in the tender, by any chance?

PhilP.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive..

Does the 'folding footplate' fit in a slot in the tender, by any chance?

PhilP.
Unfortunately no, the gap is about 1-2mm too small. wandgrudd wandgrudd is going to take a look at his model when he gets a chance to compare with mine. I thought about filing a bit off the folding footplate, but I think I might try and adjust the tender coupling bar connection by a few mm to open up the gap a bit.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately no, the gap is about 1-2mm too small. wandgrudd wandgrudd is going to take a look at his model when he gets a chance to compare with mine. I thought about filing a bit off the folding footplate, but I think I might try and adjust the tender coupling bar connection by a few mm to open up the gap a bit.

Has a look at mine, and it’s the same as yours, I tried reducing the length of the foot plate which does work part of the time but I found the wire when going round corners tended to try and push the foot plate back up, I might try trim a bit of the black box directly above the wire to see if I can then get it to slot in and thus hold the wires down.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Andrew. So it's a "design feature" not just my loco. Bit poor really and a shame as in my blue version the footplate folded completely flat and never any issues even on R1 curves. They must have changed the design. All the pictures I have seen of the model show the folding footplate up which can't be prototypical. For now I have removed the folding footplate until I can find an elegant solution. I tried moving the loco coupling out a few mm to increase the gap but it didn't fix it. As you say the multitude of red wires push it up out of place and make it catch again. I have stuck a piece of red insulating tape (which matches the LGB red very well) over the top of the red wires to hold them in place for now. Maybe we should contact Maerklin to see what they say about how this is supposed to work.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it drives you nuts some black plastic bin liner may work, I have in the past used butyle pond liner as tender fall plates with great success. The flexibility if the stuff is a great help.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks dunnyrail dunnyrail but as it is a new loco I feel I shouldn't have to resort to that at this stage. I have written to LGB/Maerklin asking for a picture of this model with the footplate folded down, we'll see what they say.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got a reply back from Maerklin. My question:
"I recently bought this loco [24267] and it is excellent except that the folding footplate between the loco and the tender does not fold down completely. The gap between the loco and the tender is too small. It will only fall about 45 degrees. If I run the loco with the folding footplate in that position it sticks when going round bends. A friend has the same loco with the same problem. I had the old blue version of this loco and on that the folding footplate lies perfectly flat even round R1 curves. Please confirm that the folding footplate is supposed to lie flat and if possible please send me a picture of this model loco and tender with the footplate folded down so I may compare it with mine."

Their reply:
"We are a little bit surprised about this operating problem with your locomotive. No similar complaint has been reported to us so far. Therefore, we assume that there is an individual problem with your model. You are therefore welcome to send it to our repair service for checking."

Clearly it is not an individual problem as my question mentioned at least one other. No picture was included.

I'm thinking about whether it will be worth the hassle of returning it for repair.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
"I recently bought this loco [24267] and it is excellent except that the folding footplate between the loco and the tender does not fold down completely. The gap between the loco and the tender is too small. It will only fall about 45 degrees. If I run the loco with the folding footplate in that position it sticks when going round bends. A friend has the same loco with the same problem. I had the old blue version of this loco and on that the folding footplate lies perfectly flat even round R1 curves. Please confirm that the folding footplate is supposed to lie flat and if possible please send me a picture of this model loco and tender with the footplate folded down so I may compare it with mine."

Their reply:
"We are a little bit surprised about this operating problem with your locomotive. No similar complaint has been reported to us so far. Therefore, we assume that there is an individual problem with your model. You are therefore welcome to send it to our repair service for checking."

Clearly it is not an individual problem as my question mentioned at least one other. No picture was included.

I'm thinking about whether it will be worth the hassle of returning it for repair.
I wonder about that as well, not a cheep option and always the possibility of damage in the post. Plus if they define no problem you may get hit for post both ways! That will hurt.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Their reply:

One for sale on eBay with the same issue and the footplate has been removed, number of videos on youtube showing the foot plate up including yours. So, it’s not an isolated issue.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
One for sale on eBay with the same issue and the footplate has been removed, number of videos on youtube showing the foot plate up including yours. So, it’s not an isolated issue.
Thanks Andrew I think I'll go back to Maerklin with some of that evidence if other locos.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
I’d send them pics of the back of the loco and front of tender too and ask for it to be passed to the technical department asking if anything wrong. That response sounds like a standard format response from a bored customer service peep hoping you’ll not bother!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like good advice, thanks.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't own one, Just because I have a thing about design errors which it has to be, as others have said, the only image on the nett I found with the plate down is the official ones of this Loco, if that black line is the actual plate ? it seems to have the wires omitted for clarity as well, even on some sites selling the Locos the pics shows the plate won't go fully flat so they have to know it's a design screw up that went all the way to production, or at least that's what it looks like.

LGB1.jpg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I agree I'm sure it is a design fault. I suspect it is connected to trying to fit the large number of wires between the loco and the tender, they need to rationalise that.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I don't own one, Just because I have a thing about design errors which it has to be, as others have said, the only image on the nett I found with the plate down is the official ones of this Loco, if that black line is the actual plate ? it seems to have the wires omitted for clarity as well, even on some sites selling the Locos the pics shows the plate won't go fully flat so they have to know it's a design screw up that went all the way to production, or at least that's what it looks like.

View attachment 269382

The plate is up in that photo, and only has the older 1 wire connecter shown on the prototype.

Reactions: 1 user

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed this thread. I bought mine last year and indeed had this issue, worse when running tender first. I had lots of derailments with the loco and tender being separated. Alas being impatient and aware of failings in my track laying i assumed it was my fault. My solution was to file the back of the fall plate until it fitted. I also found the wiring plug between the loco and tender hard to connect securely. However, since the fall plate surgery the loco has settled down and runs happily and well. It seems like a very accurate model. I have had no more problems with it. It is probably run more than anything else. Proof is available on YouTube.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
I have been trying to post a photo but for some reason today, I can’t. When I can, I will.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Photo attaching now sorted so here they are:

image.jpgEA3238BA-8B3A-4558-A6F0-CC440AB75972.jpeg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Just noticed this thread. I bought mine last year and indeed had this issue, worse when running tender first. I had lots of derailments with the loco and tender being separated. Alas being impatient and aware of failings in my track laying i assumed it was my fault. My solution was to file the back of the fall plate until it fitted. I also found the wiring plug between the loco and tender hard to connect securely. However, since the fall plate surgery the loco has settled down and runs happily and well. It seems like a very accurate model. I have had no more problems with it. It is probably run more than anything else. Proof is available on YouTube.
Thanks for the info. Regarding the connector I see the one on sale on eBay the owner has glued the plug in! So you are not alone on that one. As far as I can tell everyone has the foot plate issue. As you say it is easily remedied by shortening the foot plate until it fits, or removing it. I am miffed by LGB trying to tell me mine was a one-off, but as PaulRhB PaulRhB said it was probably a standard response rather than a thoughtful one.