Lgb 21755 dcc issues

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Think it was a joke, lost in translation..

If you try it four times... You will get a nibble.
Eight times, and someone will byte. :nerd:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
uhh... are you saying that because it is 8 bits? Or you are just joking around with a random numeral system?
Greg it was light hearted, but 2 digit is binary, 8 digit is Octal, 10 digit is decimal, and 16 digit is hexadecimal :)

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Greg it was light hearted, but 2 digit is binary, 8 digit is Octal, 10 digit is decimal, and 16 digit is hexadecimal :)
That's really useful to know but I wonder if, when I stick two fingers up at some one, they realise I am signing to them in 2 digit binary, and will that actually stop them from thumping me.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So you are ordering three pints, then?
Two for you, and one for me!
Cheers! :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I see, actually the number of digits is irrevelant.... the number of "numerals" is what makes it.... to be precise but there is no octal in this hobby, not even hex is used.

we do binary or convert to decimal... so I did not see where any octal was used, so I was confused... I was using octal in 1969.... when processors were small, very small, and memory was REALLY expensive and blew up at the slightest static charge.

Greg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
we do binary or convert to decimal... so I did not see where any octal was used, so I was confused... I was using octal in 1969.... when processors were small, very small, and memory was REALLY expensive and blew up at the slightest static charge.

Greg
Ah, memories (no pun intended) Messed around with (amongst others) a Ferranti Argus system 600 when at college. Wrote a working program in octal (Assist?) to control a small layout, single track with a passing loop, each loop road two trains long. Shame the lab assistants didn't make the interface on time. Managed it many years later on a BBC B. That Ferranti was state of the art at the time, the donated ex Rolls Royce valve powered analogue computer was something else! :D

Last edited: