LGB #21670 track cleaner decoder type

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
A friend posed this question to me. He purchased the latest Marklin/LGB #21760 track cleaner locomotive from a LGB dealer. He wants to know the decoder type fitted. Problem is the loco will not read on LGB software using the LGB #55045 programmer. It also will not read on the JMRI software. It comes up as unknown decoder. Any hints as to decoder type fitted?

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have an older track cleaner and similarly the decoder is not identified by JMRI DecoderPro. I programmed it as an LGB MTS II onboard decoder which has allowed me to alter the speed and acceleration driving characteristics successfully. However I would also be interested to discover what the decoder actually is and therefore get a CV list should anyone have this information.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have one of these locos, but just wondering: do you need to turn off the cleaning function to allow programmer hardware to read the decoder properly? Sometimes too much load across the programming track causes problems (eg. quite common to have to turn off sound and smoke)

Also, earlier versions of JMRI didn't come with the LGB/Massoth decoder definitions and you needed to download these separately.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Nick,
yes, apparently the cleaning motor drive does need to be turned off. My friend is using the latest JMRI software (both dash-10 'production' version and dash-11 'beta' version) to no avail. Later versions do have files for LGB and Massoth decoder values.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
its a purpose made decoda for the loco..

MartinB

Registered
25 Jun 2011
Best answers
If remember correctly, the load shouldn't affect the programming of the decoder. I seem to recall that the decoder in the cleaning module itself just uses the F1 functionality to trigger a relay or solid state equivalent to drive the cleaning wheels. I confess that I fitted decoders in my track cleaner in 2003 and it only sees very occasional use.

I use a Zimo system and have never been able to read LGB decoders (on board or otherwise), though given that I haven't bought a decoder equipped loco for about 6 years, I'm not sure whether this would still be the case. However, I have always been able to program them without problems