LGB 2080S

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone converted or is it even possible an old style 2080S that used ramp rails to activate whistle and bell sounds to reed switches like the newer ones

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone converted or is it even possible an old style 2080S that used ramp rails to activate whistle and bell sounds to reed switches like the newer ones
Having pulled a 2080 S to bits.(to turn it into a Battery Job) I would imagine it is quite possible. The mech just creates a mechanical switch. So extending the wires to Reeds that would be in a similar position to be activated by the LGB Track Magnet out to be a pretty easy task. Sorry I know this is not the answer you are looking for but my take on what would be the likely task.

My thread where I pull it to bits on the Final Pic on Post 1 shows the screws that come from the Plungers. These could likely be used for the wires to the reeds after the plungers have been removed.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes not on the 2080s but on the red and cream 2095 loco works ok you might find you need a longer magnet in the rail as it tends to give a shorter sound if using the newer type lgb magnets that come with sound locos.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
you are correct about it being simple but it would only give a very short toot or ding and quit as soon as the train passed over the magnet and there would be no sense in replacing the plastic ramp with an equally long magnet, there needs to be some type of capacitor or delayed power provider, thanks for the thought, Bill

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, just thought I would throw another option your way. May be easier to just upgrade the sound system. Check out the eBay link below. You could also try to find an LGB 23802 or newer version to replace the old 2080S. BTW I have two of the 2080S loco's and even though I am a big fan of the newer DC & DCC, I optioned to just leave these alone and enjoy as they are. Many years ago, I paid LGB of America to upgrade a 2080S to DCC and still have full Analog functions and I had all kinds of Issues. I could write a book about it but after 4 times mailing the loco back and forth, it still never operated correctly after that upgrade.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, just thought I would throw another option your way. May be easier to just upgrade the sound system. Check out the eBay link below. You could also try to find an LGB 23802 or newer version to replace the old 2080S. BTW I have two of the 2080S loco's and even though I am a big fan of the newer DC & DCC, I optioned to just leave these alone and enjoy as they are. Many years ago, I paid LGB of America to upgrade a 2080S to DCC and still have full Analog functions and I had all kinds of Issues. I could write a book about it but after 4 times mailing the loco back and forth, it still never operated correctly after that upgrade.

Thanks for the input, engine has been sitting for a long time and have to fix a side rod piece to test and after a conversation with Axel of trainli I have decided to do as you and he suggest which is replace the system with something newer, plan on using the drive system to build a American style saddle tanker and if the engine checks out and the sound works maybe put the used parts up on eBay at least that way I would have something new and with American sound, thanks Bill